Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 118 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2022, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
These go in front of mirror, behind the lens?
that is pretty cool!
I have one for Astro. Still haven’t used it however.

10-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
About GradND and K-1 Mark II... it's a bit odd that they link this to the use of a tripod in a camera that has HDR and DPS that don't need the tripod...
Both of those features are very, very limited unless on a tripod. Possibly at some point in the future they will come up with a way of allowing the digital grad ND to be used in a crippled way without a tripod as well by linking it to the shake reduction system.
10-21-2022, 09:28 AM   #93
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
These go in front of mirror, behind the lens?
that is pretty cool!
Yes, in front of the sensor. I've used Kolari's in Canon IR converted cameras, since it requires lots of different IR or UV/IR cut filters. And it has a few other advantages, the main one being that you can use the same filter for all lenses. But it also protects the sensor a bit from from dust and stuff when changing lenses. And you eliminate the problems with flare you can get on lens filters, or sometimes vignetting especially when using step up rings.

Obviously its not possible to use grads or variables or CPL filters there. Or stack, although I have used a rear one in combination with lens filter in ND.
10-21-2022, 11:54 AM - 4 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The color filter availability based on the lens is an extremely dumb gimmick, but the idea of selling new features as firmware updates is an interesting one. That means even older bodies like K-1 will be kept supported, and you don’t need an entirely new body to benefit from software improvements. I like the idea of “unbundling” the camera hardware from the software.

10-21-2022, 12:04 PM   #95
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
About GradND and K-1 Mark II... it's a bit odd that they link this to the use of a tripod in a camera that has HDR and DPS that don't need the tripod...
The in-camera HDR needs a tripod unless you are in very good light that enables you to use a high-ish shutter speed.

I bracket expose my images a lot, and merge in software. This is the same as the ND filter addon. If I use too slow a shutter speed and try to do this handheld I have a devil of a job cleaning up the image.
10-21-2022, 11:55 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Given that a single Lee grad ND filter is about that price in the uk, it seems to be a reasonable addition (assuming you haven't already got the filters).
10-22-2022, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This is the first firmware I'm unlikely to install unless some specific 'general stability' is found. If anyone notices improvements on a K-1 please share your thoughts.

10-22-2022, 03:31 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
One can purchase variable density ND filters - which are actually two polarizers mounted together with one rotatable element. Buy a 49mm and a 52mm and you're pretty much set. Find these on The Bay.
Sorry, but you are wrong - this is not about ND filters, but about gradual ND filters.
10-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grad ND typically refers to Graduated Neutral Density filters:

https://photofocus.com/photography/shooting-photography/a-beginners-guide-to...nsity-filters/

Grad ND’s are typically used in a way that’s quite different from variable ND’s - but you could shoot several images at different ND values and use layers and merge in post to get a similar effect. It would take more work, but it is possible in theory.
10-23-2022, 06:29 AM   #100
Pentaxian

These new looks being introduced are fun. Even though being limited to specific lenses is frustrating, I see the "easter egg" benefit that promotes certain lenses.

However, this new Grad Filter looks to be VERY useful. I hope that Pentax makes it available around the world - and doesn't limit it to certain lenses.
10-23-2022, 07:27 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I hope that Pentax makes it available around the world
It's in the latest worldwide firmware update for the K-1 / K-1ii, you have to buy the licence of course, but you would not have it in the firmware if it were restricted to just Japan.
10-23-2022, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

I will definitely purchase this feature once it is available globally. It's the least I can do to show my appreciation directly to Pentax (Ricoh). My K1 was bought second hand so they didn't get any money from it.
On the othe hand, of this was pushed more aggressively I might have abstained, but they are doing it so honestly and straight forward, that Im all for it. On the same note, I wish they could bring future features to old-ish cameras like the K1, the new astro tracer of the K3iii would be a great idea.
Personally, I don't see anything bad from Ricoh trying to make an extra buck from this process. We should be glad that our cameras are being supported still.
10-23-2022, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #103

Whats not to like if it lives up to, or equals, possibly betters high end GND filters. it would save one a significant amount.
All i hope is that i can also use a screw on ND or CPL filter as well as this feature at the same time, which I'm sure will not be a problem.
As others pointed out, it sounds very useful for tripod users.
Bravo Pentax Ricoh I say and who knows what other major improvements could be awaiting without having to upgrade the camera body for a newer model.
Loved the discussion by all
10-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to pay for the ND as what I see as a plug in. Hope it comes to the K3 III
10-28-2022, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

I was thinking: this could really help with the red color shift in sunsets. One of the things that really bugs me about the K1 sensor is its inaccuracy on sunset colors, the bright red is blown out early on and turns into yellow, really unrealistic. I have noticed that with abour -2ev the red stays on, but you loose exposure on the rest.
In theory, if the grad ND is simulated as shown on the Japanese site, it should do the work, since it merges the shot with an under exposed shot.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by shyrsio; 10-28-2022 at 01:35 PM.