Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2022, 11:31 PM   #136
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Pentax put up a Youtube video of an interview with the photographer Takashi Namiki today. You can use the auto translated captions if you like, but they don't work very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ByJIqqQE-Y

At around 2:40 he starts talking about the improvement in PF compared to the old one. This was achieved without increasing the size of the lens. He also gos on to talk about the advantage of the hood design for adding elements of front bokeh at minimum focus distance and the excellent balance of crispness and bokeh quality.
I understood everything he said. :-)

But the photos looks nice.

11-11-2022, 05:11 AM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is remarkable that a twist of the design removed the PF to such an extent. I wonder whether that is a one-off, or doable with some other lenses too, the 77mm in particular.
That lens is based on the A 1.4/85mm, which itself is not reported to suffer from PF afaics. Perhaps a closer look would reveal that this film era lens suffers from it as well, but if not, perhaps some clues for improvement might be available.
11-12-2022, 10:18 AM   #138
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
It is remarkable that a twist of the design removed the PF to such an extent. I wonder whether that is a one-off, or doable with some other lenses too, the 77mm in particular.
That lens is based on the A 1.4/85mm, which itself is not reported to suffer from PF afaics. Perhaps a closer look would reveal that this film era lens suffers from it as well, but if not, perhaps some clues for improvement might be available.
I didn't notice any purple fringing off of my A*85/1.4, but I tend to not shoot stuff where it's going to be a problem in the first place.
11-15-2022, 01:38 PM - 10 Likes   #139
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tad1952 Quote
The SMC Pentax FA Macro 100mm f2.8 was certainly quite prone to purple fringing. I took this at f 2.8. I look forward to getting the new lens.
The smc 100 WR version had a purple-fringing terrible in some situations, but unnoticeable it others. For astro it was unusable due to fringing. I wonder how the new lens will perform under those conditions

My copy of silver version arrived today - but I promised myself that I will stay strong and give the lens to myself for the Christmas.

11-15-2022, 02:15 PM - 7 Likes   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Slavek Quote
My copy of silver version arrived today - but I promised myself that I will stay strong and give the lens to myself for the Christmas.

While your moral steadfastness is admirable, you want to make sure that you haven't received a problem copy (think: decentering, no infinity focus, faulty aperture, or whatnot). Therefore, give it a close inspection and examine a minimum range of test shots. By doing that, you're not cheating on Santa but rather ensuring that your Christmas doesn't get ruined by a possible dud. At any rate, check the small print on customer returns. If your testing reveals that the copy sent to you is fine - as it likely will be - repackage and wrap it up for Christmas, knowing that a real treat is waiting for you on the occasion. Just my two irrelevant bits, of course.
11-15-2022, 04:58 PM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
While your moral steadfastness is admirable, you want to make sure that you haven't received a problem copy (think: decentering, no infinity focus, faulty aperture, or whatnot). Therefore, give it a close inspection and examine a minimum range of test shots. By doing that, you're not cheating on Santa but rather ensuring that your Christmas doesn't get ruined by a possible dud. At any rate, check the small print on customer returns. If your testing reveals that the copy sent to you is fine - as it likely will be - repackage and wrap it up for Christmas, knowing that a real treat is waiting for you on the occasion. Just my two irrelevant bits, of course.
Very wise!
11-16-2022, 03:35 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
At any rate, check the small print on customer returns.
That's an advantage of being in the EU - Slavek should be fine within the first 6 months after having received the lens, within which the onus to prove that the article was free of defects is on the merchant. One of the reasons why we usually have to pay a little more than, say, customers in the US.

11-16-2022, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Theres no way I could wrap that box and put it under the tree, Id just consider it an early present and go out shooting with it. I would have pre-ordered it but Im leaving Sunday for 10 days and wont have an address. Would have loved to have it for this trip, but oh well
11-16-2022, 09:41 AM - 1 Like   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh dropped the silver macro for U.S. market at 9:06 and I was slow...didn't get my receipt until 9:13. Mountain Time
11-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
And one more from Map Camera
814: ??????PENTAX HD D FA MACRO 100mm F2.8 ED AW? ??????| KASYAPA
Interested to see they're still selling the 'J's
11-16-2022, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #146

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Interested to see they're still selling the 'J's
Most retailers in Japan show the J limiteds either in stock or as 受注生産 or "Built to order". They are probably intended to be permanent built to order special editions.
11-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #147

Photos: Albums
Ricoh Imaging notified me today:
Attached Images

11-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #148

Is it still a screw drive lens?
11-17-2022, 02:26 PM   #149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For astro it was unusable due to fringing. I wonder how the new lens will perform under those conditions
That is what I am wondering too. However I still like my D FA 100/2.8 WR Macro and even made use of the WR feature last week getting shots of an angry Lake Superior. I will probably get one as it looks like it isn't too expensive (still more than a impulse buy but that doesn't mean I can't save up for a bit).
11-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #150
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
Is it still a screw drive lens?
If I were to get one, it would be for my Q -7, where it would be manual focus. This would give me the same view as 300mm gives on an APS-C camera.