Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 268 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2022, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #181
Loyal Site Supporter

I picked up mine this morning. Unfortunately my schedule is such that it's going to sit on the shelf until Sunday.

11-25-2022, 12:02 AM   #182
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_András Quote
My HD DFA Macro arived today.
I still have the old one so i can take pictures for comparison.
Serial No. 0000014 :-)
So, here are the 2 images. It was a setup, animal dead (found it dead in the forest, 3 month ago, i don´t kill animals for pictures), camera on tripod, same settings, flash. I only changed the lens.
It´s nearly out of cam.

K_1 1998 is the smc
K_1 1999 is the hd

---------- Post added 11-25-22 at 12:06 AM ----------

So, here are the 2 images. It was a setup, animal dead (found it dead in the forest, 3 month ago, i don´t kill animals for pictures), camera on tripod, same settings, flash. I only changed the lens.
It´s nearly out of cam.

K_1 1998 is the smc
K_1 1999 is the hd
The upper one is the old one, undernearth the new.
But in the Exifs you see, Pentax don´t change the Name. The new one calls also smc Pentax...

---------- Post added 11-25-22 at 12:22 AM ----------

So, the question. Do i see differences?
When you use it for macro, a little bit. Sharpness: maybe a little little little bit. Imaging performance: yes, the insect is more colorfull, more green and yellow. Chromatic aberration: there is an example, a few pages before.
I think the best thing about the new lens is, that it no longer has the chromatic aberrations. The rest is relatively the same. But I love the new lens and am looking forward to the next insect season.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-25-2022, 01:52 AM   #183
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It´s nearly out of cam.

K_1 1998 is the smc
K_1 1999 is the hd

---------- Post added 11-25-22 at 12:06 AM ----------

The upper one is the old one, undernearth the new.
But in the Exifs you see, Pentax don´t change the Name. The new one calls also smc Pentax...

---------- Post added 11-25-22 at 12:22 AM ----------

So, the question. Do i see differences?
When you use it for macro, a little bit. Sharpness: maybe a little little little bit. Imaging performance: yes, the insect is more colorfull, more green and yellow. Chromatic aberration: there is an example, a few pages before.
I think the best thing about the new lens is, that it no longer has the chromatic aberrations. The rest is relatively the same. But I love the new lens and am looking forward to the next insect season.
New one definitely have more vivid colour rendition. Thanks for posting those

As for naming the lens in EXIF, probably new firmware will have them sorted to reflect correct model name in EXIF
11-25-2022, 04:05 AM   #184
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is on the way. Silver of course. Hopefully it will hit the front porch by Monday.

11-26-2022, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
As for naming the lens in EXIF, probably new firmware will have them sorted to reflect correct model name in EXIF
Lens names are interpreted by the software *reading* the exif. So the software has to be updated after a new lens is released. I can't remember if the hd fa 35 ever got detected properly. It was/is the smc fa 35 in exif.
11-29-2022, 09:45 AM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine showed up yesterday. Unfortunately, it was defective and would not lock focus while shooting through the viewfinder on either my K1-II or K3-III. It wasn't all that securely packaged, so maybe it was damaged in transit. I sent it back immediately and I'm now waiting for a replacement. I hope they package the replacement much more securely.

Fast and accurate in LiveView, but just racked back and forth and then stopped completely unfocused while using the Viewfinder. Does anybody have ideas why the contrast detection autofocus would work fine but the phase detection autofocus would fail completely?
11-29-2022, 10:55 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Mine showed up yesterday. Unfortunately, it was defective and would not lock focus while shooting through the viewfinder on either my K1-II or K3-III. It wasn't all that securely packaged, so maybe it was damaged in transit. I sent it back immediately and I'm now waiting for a replacement. I hope they package the replacement much more securely.

Fast and accurate in LiveView, but just racked back and forth and then stopped completely unfocused while using the Viewfinder. Does anybody have ideas why the contrast detection autofocus would work fine but the phase detection autofocus would fail completely?
I have no idea if there's any connection, but I have the exact same problem on a DFA 50mm macro that works fine on a K-3 but shows that hunting/unable to lock behaviour on the K-3iii. Mine is old, tried cleaning the contacts but to no avail. And, if it works on the K-3 I'm not sure poor contact can be a problem...
So far was unable to solve the issue.

11-30-2022, 06:07 AM - 16 Likes   #188
Pentaxian

Terrible purple fringing with the new 100 Macro ???

at the top of the label - the purple fringing looks really bad...

Yet on a subject that I would have expected to see a problem, it is excellent....

Joking aside - the new HD Pentax‐D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 ED AW certainly does handle fringing better than the older version.
11-30-2022, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #189
Pentaxian

LOL Good one
11-30-2022, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #190
Pentaxian

Poor testing conditions. I'm sure if you try again with a Chardonnay or Sauvignon you won't have any issues
11-30-2022, 04:19 PM - 3 Likes   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

Yet on a subject that I would have expected to see a problem, it is excellent....

Joking aside - the new HD Pentax‐D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 ED AW certainly does handle fringing better than the older version.
I can't believe you wasted that much wine.
11-30-2022, 10:33 PM   #192
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tmlawes Quote
Yeah, the CDAF isn't looking for alignments, it's looking for high contrast, which will occur even in a defective lens.

But misaligned elements mean that even if you used it permanently in Live View, the images will still suffer in sharpness compared to everyone else's copy.

Clackers' Beginners Tip 18: Testing Lenses for Decentering - PentaxForums.com
12-01-2022, 04:22 AM - 9 Likes   #193
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried it on the K-3 Mark III yet, but my copy worked pretty well through the viewfinder with my skittish granddaughter today.

....and my slightly less skittish daughter Yes, if you look hard, there is a bit of purple fringing around the extremely contrasty rim of her glass, but with the SMC version it would have been visible from the moon!

12-01-2022, 06:24 AM - 6 Likes   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
Poor testing conditions. I'm sure if you try again with a Chardonnay or Sauvignon you won't have any issues
A good friend also had purple fringing on a bottle of port showing with his new 100 macro and tried bottles of both Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. He now reports a complete inability to focus, a raging headache and terrible nausea and has called in sick.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 12-01-2022 at 06:32 AM.
12-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thinking about getting this lens. I have researched, and don't see this listed anywhere-is the lens hood reversible and mounted onto the lens for storage? I would assume so, as the last version did this.

Just want to make sure.

TIA!!