Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 268 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
focus sound/speed the same? bokeh looks a bit better.

12-08-2022, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
focus sound/speed the same? bokeh looks a bit better.
I don't notice any difference in focus speed or sound but I would say the newer coatings probably do help to handle strong backlighting slightly better. Bokeh - I'm not sure if there is much difference but one thing that is slightly disappointing is the circular aperture blades only have an effect up to f5.6, after that the shape of highlights changes back to octagonal. It's a shame they couldn't have kept the rounded shape for another stop or two

One other thing I've noticed (but it may not be accurate) is that the manual focus "damping" seems better - less "loose" than the previous version. It would be good if someone who still has both versions (Calling Wheatfiled, Calling Wheatfield ) could do a comparison to confirm if I'm talking rubbish or not
12-09-2022, 12:44 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I don't notice any difference in focus speed or sound
It would be interesting to know how well the focus limiter software functions. For non macro work reduced hunting would certainly make the lens better for more scenarios.
12-10-2022, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #214
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I
One other thing I've noticed (but it may not be accurate) is that the manual focus "damping" seems better - less "loose" than the previous version. It would be good if someone who still has both versions (Calling Wheatfiled, Calling Wheatfield ) could do a comparison to confirm if I'm talking rubbish or not
Message received.
It will have to wait until tomorrow though.

12-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #215
Unregistered User

A few more tests

i have the new hd dfa 100mm 2.8 macro for around 1 month
now some other pictures.

2 times the ring, white backround is a stack of 21 pictures at f5.6, the gray backround is a stack of 31 pictures at f5.6
2 figures are at f11, this is for the CAs, there are in the raws a tine green edge but with lightroom no problems.

i like the new one
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-13-2022, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #216
Forum Member

Some nice sample photos with the lens shown here:

http://photo.yodobashi.com/pentax/lens/dfa_mac100_f28_edaw/
12-16-2022, 01:56 AM - 10 Likes   #217
Pentaxian

...it's pretty good at handling flare too!

...and not bad at macro...

Last edited by LennyBloke; 12-16-2022 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Added another sample
12-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It would be interesting to know how well the focus limiter software functions. For non macro work reduced hunting would certainly make the lens better for more scenarios.
Ive played around with the focus limiter a bit, though I havent really tried everything about it.

The first thing I noticed is that the camera reverts to no focus limiter whenever it is turned off.

As far as using it, the camera doesnt go through the whole cycle when it is looking for focus. I tried having it set to the far side and then trying to focus on something that was close - it went through a short cycle and stopped, indicating it could not achieve focus. I can definitely see myself using it.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages for having the camera revert to limiter off whenever the camera is turned off - too many times Ive turned on the camera and started shooting without checking the settings. On the other hand, if Im shooting macro stuff I will often turn off the camera when Im adjusting things, which would mean that I would have to go into the menu to turn it back on each time. I dont see that as a big deal - if Im shooting true macros, Im most likely focusing manually. I think Id use it more for far subjects.
12-17-2022, 04:08 AM - 5 Likes   #219
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Ive played around with the focus limiter a bit, though I havent really tried everything about it.

The first thing I noticed is that the camera reverts to no focus limiter whenever it is turned off.

As far as using it, the camera doesnt go through the whole cycle when it is looking for focus. I tried having it set to the far side and then trying to focus on something that was close - it went through a short cycle and stopped, indicating it could not achieve focus. I can definitely see myself using it.

I can see the advantages and disadvantages for having the camera revert to limiter off whenever the camera is turned off - too many times Ive turned on the camera and started shooting without checking the settings. On the other hand, if Im shooting macro stuff I will often turn off the camera when Im adjusting things, which would mean that I would have to go into the menu to turn it back on each time. I dont see that as a big deal - if Im shooting true macros, Im most likely focusing manually. I think Id use it more for far subjects.
I think (if I owned this lens) I would create a user mode with the limiter set to on and just flip to that when I mounted the lens and needed that limiter function. That would make it an easy switch to and from the limiter function with the turn of a dial.
12-17-2022, 05:42 AM   #220
Pentaxian

The new lens is better optically, so it would be nice to have. However, I can't justify to buy the new version of the lens, because.... I tried to make my D-FA 100 macro (original) to fringe, but it was quite hard to see a little bit of purple fringing (I had to find harsh backlight) and fringing was almost completely gone after I enabled in camera lens fringe correction. So, I think I'll stay with the original 100 macro and save money. If I didn't have my DFA 100 macro WR already, yes I would buy the new one, of course.
I also compared my original D-FA 100 macro with my D-FA 70-210 (new lens) at 100mm, and my 100 macro easily beat the zoom for sharpness and CA at any aperture, although the 100 macro is a much old optical design than the zoom.
Looks like the new 100 macro lens is nearly perfect.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-17-2022 at 05:49 AM.
12-17-2022, 10:20 AM - 3 Likes   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote

You can add the limiter to "memory" in the camera settings so that it remembers the limiter choice. By default, it unchecked and so will reset to no limit each time you turn the camera on.
12-17-2022, 02:27 PM   #222
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How good is the new version at infinity focus (I know, not its primary objective, but still) ?
12-17-2022, 04:44 PM - 3 Likes   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Infinity focus looks good on my K1.

Here's a jpg that is straight out of camera, no edits. Link: Superstitions

Here's an edited version taken from the raw file and processed the way I like:

On another topic, there's been discussion about fringing and CA. The lens does have a bit of CA wide open, though not much. I think I can get CA from just about any lens with this scene. Link to full sized SOOC jpg: Fridge

If anyone is curious, I took the same scene two years ago when I first got a lens that is something like 3 times the cost of the macro (DFA 85): DFA*85 f1.4 When I uploaded the two SOOC jpgs for the macro, I noticed the earlier photos and thought the comparison interesting. I know, the two lenses are designed for entirely different purposes. I don't think I should embed the DFA 85 photo here, since it's really off-topic, but if you are interested, follow the link and you can see/perhaps appreciate how nice the macro is.

There's still no differentiation between the AW and WR versions of the lens. I noticed that SmugMug has it identified as the WR version, like LR does with the raw files. It doesn't make much difference to me now as I no longer own the WR one, but it would be nice.
12-24-2022, 05:15 AM   #224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Latest leaks concerning the 100mm f/2.8 macro briefly shown on 31 July during the videoconference dedicated to the Pentax Clubhouse and later added to the roadmap:
  • Name is HD Pentax‐D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 ED AW
  • Latest optical design significantly improves descriptive performance
  • First Pentax macro lens with dustproof and drip-proof construction (AW instead of WR)
  • Scheduled for release on 18 November 2022.
「HD PENTAX‐D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8ED AW」の発売日は11月18日? - デジカメinfo

The original source is the person who used to manage Nokishita Camera.

There was no ED lens element in the smc Pentax-D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 WR, therefore the optical scheme is indeed new.
I have the Schneider-Kreuznach Samsung D-Xenon Macro 100mm F2.8 which I got real cheap, it is not WR but it is a great lens
12-29-2022, 08:29 PM   #225

Sorry if this was already answered, but how do we differentiate between the new and old lens to make sure we are getting the new one?