Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 87 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2022, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #46
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Voting has now started for the medium format section of the contest:
Final Voting: Special Landscape Photo Contest (Medium Format) - PentaxForums.com

Since there are more than 100 submissions to the non medium format category, please comment on your favorites in the gallery:
Special Photo Contest: Landscape (2022) Gallery View - PentaxForums.com

The top 100 photos will then be voted on in 7 days. Best of luck to all those who have entered!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2022, 02:11 AM - 7 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The medium format competition

Since I am sponsoring the prizes, I have decided not to vote. However, I am sure proud to have been the encouragement for such a fine collection of images. I want to thank everyone for your efforts in capturing the images and entering the contest. Thank you for your words of appreciation, and please accept my best wishes for success as tehe voting goes forward.

Kind regards to all.

ivan
12-12-2022, 08:22 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Since I am sponsoring the prizes, I have decided not to vote. However, I am sure proud to have been the encouragement for such a fine collection of images. I want to thank everyone for your efforts in capturing the images and entering the contest. Thank you for your words of appreciation, and please accept my best wishes for success as tehe voting goes forward.

Kind regards to all.

ivan
and thank you for “sponsoring the prizes”.
They gave a boost to this place.
12-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you keep your resolution at or bellow 1400px (wide) x 900 px (high) and the filesize below 900Kb, the website won't scale or compress the image.
Thank you for the help.

12-12-2022, 10:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Kind regards to all.

ivan
Since you are sponsoring the prizes I would suggest you lean on the person who is running it to make it easier to enter. I couldn't enter because of the bewildering hoops one has to jump through to get photos posted. I am not alone. There are a lot of comments/questions by people having trouble figuring out how to to do it. Read them. I'm sure there would have been many more images to be proud of but they dropped by the wayside when they read the entry rules. Too bad!
12-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way, there's a problem with the way some of the images are presented in grid view if they've been entered into the contest via Flickr. When the images show up in grid view, they are cropped rather than scaled. That means if there are important elements near the border, they aren't seen when viewing the images in grid view in order to make your selections. This can have an impact on the images that are ultimately selected because you are not seeing everything the photographer intended.
12-12-2022, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by silcam Quote
Since you are sponsoring the prizes I would suggest you lean on the person who is running it to make it easier to enter. I couldn't enter because of the bewildering hoops one has to jump through to get photos posted. I am not alone. There are a lot of comments/questions by people having trouble figuring out how to to do it. Read them. I'm sure there would have been many more images to be proud of but they dropped by the wayside when they read the entry rules. Too bad!
Well it seems that over 200 people did not find any hoops. I did not.

If you had an issue with the entry criteria, you could have asked a question and I am sure it would have been answered.

12-12-2022, 12:41 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
By the way, there's a problem with the way some of the images are presented in grid view if they've been entered into the contest via Flickr. When the images show up in grid view, they are cropped rather than scaled. That means if there are important elements near the border, they aren't seen when viewing the images in grid view in order to make your selections. This can have an impact on the images that are ultimately selected because you are not seeing everything the photographer intended.
I did notice the same thing. I think the issue is with panos mainly. Perhaps something for Adam to look at for future competitions.
12-12-2022, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am terribly sorry that you found the contest difficult or not possible to enter. I would not dare to lean upon Adam, but I will bet that if you had asked him for assistance he would have gone out of his way to help. He seemed very helpful when I proposed the contest and offered to provide the prizes.
12-13-2022, 08:38 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am terribly sorry that you found the contest difficult or not possible to enter. I would not dare to lean upon Adam, but I will bet that if you had asked him for assistance he would have gone out of his way to help. He seemed very helpful when I proposed the contest and offered to provide the prizes.
Thanks Ivan for sponsoring the contest. I had a lot of fun planning and shooting - even took my 645z with 3 lenses on a business trip to Vegas. Unfortunately despite paying for an upgraded suite, I could not get the shots I wanted since the window glass was dirty from outside. Finally submitted pic I had shot from an earlier earlier.

Thanks again - it was fun

Last edited by manishved; 12-13-2022 at 09:22 PM.
12-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #56
Pentaxian

I didn’t enter this contest, but I thought most of the questions were trivial issues.
Experience in posting photos would have been good.
How many photos had you posted before this contest?
12-13-2022, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most members find the photo posting options easy. And, dare I say, had you asked, any one of us would have been happy to guide you through the process.

How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com
12-14-2022, 07:07 AM   #58

Let me ask here; first 100 photos are selected based on number of comments, right? If so, is it just the comments count from 10th of December or since photo was posted for contest?
I'm asking because i sense some unfairness between photos posted recently and photos posted month or more ago. if this is the case that all comments count many photos had 10+ comments on 10th already.
Moreover, these previously commented photos remain on top of the treads page which is also available to browse and comment.
Am I wrong here or is this an oversight or intended that way? Thanks.
12-16-2022, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peraspera Quote
Let me ask here; first 100 photos are selected based on number of comments, right? If so, is it just the comments count from 10th of December or since photo was posted for contest?
I'm asking because i sense some unfairness between photos posted recently and photos posted month or more ago. if this is the case that all comments count many photos had 10+ comments on 10th already.
Moreover, these previously commented photos remain on top of the treads page which is also available to browse and comment.
Am I wrong here or is this an oversight or intended that way? Thanks.
Because of the way the PYP forum works, every submission should have a roughly equal amount of time at the top of the list, though for popular photos there could be a slight bias toward those posted early. To compensate for this, the order of the photos in the gallery is fully randomized. Looking at the average number of replies vs date, the distribution is fairly uniform across the entire contest period

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-18-2022, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The submissions are fantastic! I'm truly inspired by browsing them. Not just the images, but the stories shared by the submitters. I'm also struck by the world-wide representation! This contest highlights just how special this Pentax community is. Thank you Ivan for giving us this gift to enjoy! And thanks to Adam and all the moderators for keeping the site going!