Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2022, 04:01 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They also presented the outcome of last year's post-meeting poll concerning possible K-3 Mark III variants:
  1. Jet Black: 23%
  2. Monochrome: 21%
  3. Astro: 17%
  4. Gunmetal: 16%
  5. Manual Focus: 16%

11-23-2022, 04:14 AM - 3 Likes   #47
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The discussion about the K-3 III monochrome was quite interesting. They answered a few questions about their rationale for the model.

Why not just use a monochrome profile on a color sensor?
- There was an image demonstration to show how much more detail you get in the image without the colour filter. It was like comparing a pixel shift image to a normal one, or even more obvious.
- They talked about the difference in the shooting process when you shoot through an OVF specifically to compose a black and white shot. Some people like that.

Why not make this full frame - a version of the K-1 II?
- They wanted to use the latest model as a base.
- Some full frame monochrome cameras already exist (presumably he was thinking Leica), but not in the APS-C format. That will be a first.

What is the advantage over people who shoot B&W film on older cameras?
- You can use all the latest functions of Pentax digital. They mentioned hyper program mode because it is related to ISO grain, but of course there are tons more features that film cameras didn't have.
- Being able to change the ISO value makes it a lot of fun on digital to experiment with different levels of grain in true B&W images.

Overall, I think they made a pretty good case for this model to exist. I think it will be the only DSLR to have a monochrome sensor, and the only current camera outside the rarified world of Leica to have one. None of the alternatives have the same kind of diversity of lenses past and present to use with the sensor. I agree with gatorguy that there is the potential to attract a few users from other brands with an interest in monochrome imaging.
11-23-2022, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

A monochrome camera will also give you stunningly detailed astro images.
11-23-2022, 05:21 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
3. Addition of [Focus point for vertical and horizontal composition].
AF in viewfinder shooting / AF in live-view shooting can be set separately
→ Retains the reference position and movement position of the focus point for each vertical and horizontal composition
Yes! This is a feature will be very useful, especially for sports. With the K-3 iii focus joystick, I've gotten used to changing the focus point much more often, but it's a (small) pain to keep changing it when switching between vertical/horizontal. I used a Canon 5Dii which had this feature and have been wanting it on Pentax ever since.

11-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Speaking of K-3 III Monochrome, the K-3 III JB version was voted the first, 235 units were sold less than half, how many units of the second voted Monochrome can sell this time? GR Monochrome will sell more.
11-23-2022, 07:57 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Speaking of K-3 III Monochrome, the K-3 III JB version was voted the first, 235 units were sold less than half, how many units of the second voted Monochrome can sell this time? GR Monochrome will sell more.
Good reasons to make both, I’d have thought. Remind me: does the GR now have the same sensor as the K-3iii?
11-23-2022, 09:59 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Not same cmos.

11-23-2022, 11:30 PM   #53
JPT
Pentaxian

But the GR and K-3 III share the same firmware base. It’s possible that developing for one greatly helps development for the other.
11-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Selling 100 units is meaningless for PENTAX. Moreover, PENTAX and GR are now operated separately.
11-24-2022, 12:59 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Selling 100 units is meaningless for PENTAX. Moreover, PENTAX and GR are now operated separately.
They may be separated in an organisation sense, but I find it hard to believe that they could separately maintain their design personnel, given the slow rate of development of new product. Personnel who work across divisions of the one corporation are not uncommon.

These small side projects are priced so they can make a profit on committed numbers. Their intent is presumably to maintain an interest in the brand, and to create an individual identity for the brand, which is important for a small player in a shrinking market that gets more competitive as it does so.
11-24-2022, 03:33 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
One is a feature I have heard requested multiple times on this forum.
Tilted screen on K-3 Mk III! Yay

Sorry, could not stop myself.

For monochorome I hope that if it is more or less success on K-3 Mk III (assuming it happens) they will port it to GRIII. While I will be hesitant to get monochrome K-3 Mk III (ok, I am already tempted but I hope my wallet wins this fight), I would gladly get more compact camera for b&w. Something that would replace my aging analog Zenit 3M with 50mm lens.

Anyway for such online meeting good news. Looks like Ricoh is fighting to keep Pentax afloat.
11-24-2022, 04:57 PM   #57
JPT
Pentaxian

Unlike the Jet Black model, the monochrome camera is functionally different to other cameras. That’s why I expect that those 20% of interested users are more likely to actually go through with a purchase. Ultimately, the black model was cool but doesn’t seem like a rational purchase to most people.

In fact, because of the lens selection and AF capability, this camera will be more versatile that any existing monochrome camera, while being cheaper (not cheap, but cheaper than a Leica).

For example, if you want to use a monochrome sensor to shoot wildlife, planes, sports or motorsport, there isn’t really another camera that has the lenses and AF to do that. It might not be a common use case, but it would be unique. More common would be people just wanting to use their Pentax glass to shoot black and white for portraits, landscape or street.

I personally think that I’d be more likely to buy a monochrome camera if it were based on a KF or KP - something cheaper. For me, a monochrome camera would only ever be a secondary camera, so the K-3 will be too expensive.

As for a GR, as Ooku says, Pentax and GR are now completely separate teams. I’m sure there is still scope for sharing resources, but they make their decision independently of each other. Having said that, Ricoh engineers have mentioned the idea of a monochrome GR as long as 15 years ago in interviews, so I think the ambition exists within the company.
11-24-2022, 11:21 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Thank you JPT. Seems reasonable. I share the idea that the GR is a more likely and probably more useful candidate for a monochrome sensor.
However, it still surprises me, that Pentax K and Ricoh GR would be that separated in development teams. And as you said, they could easily use synergistic effects by treating e.g. the KP line to bring the innards of the latest GR into DSLR bodies, I would definitely love a K-GR, not only monochrome.
11-25-2022, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Initially scheduled for the 27th, the J limited online event 2022 "On the Birthday" is postponed because several staff members have been in close contact with people diagnosed with COVID-19.

11月27日(日)開催予定のオンラインイベント「J limited online event 2022 “On the Birthday”」開催延期について|RICOH IMAGING
11-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that the Monochrome K-3iii proposition doesn’t seem to have been picked up by any of the usual rumour or general photography sites. Pentax Rumors in particular seems to follow JPT and Mistral75 fairly closely, at least in the past. Maybe it’s considered old news, given that the original ideas for variants on the K-3iii were floated some time ago, but the fact that Ricoh’s engineering team has actually followed through with some hardware trials should be of interest.