Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2022, 05:58 PM   #76
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Because Leica Camera AG, owned by the Kaufmann family (56%) and a private equity fund (Blackstone, 44%), don't view their Monochrom cameras as opportunities to make money?
I think every Leica camera is an opportunity to make money, Mistral.

It is normal to charge enthusiasts such as collectors and early adopters more than standard customers, simply because you can!

Blessed are the rich, they fund the rest of us in the rest of the product's lifecycle.

Obviously if a special run is available only from Ricoh directly, there's a chance to make more money even without raising the RRP, because you're keeping the distributor and retailer's cut for yourself.

11-28-2022, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #77
Pentaxian

I wouldn't be surprise if Leica's margin is quite bigger on normal colour sensor than with monochrome ones.

I also don't think that comparing Leica and RI economics is much relevant.
11-30-2022, 07:04 AM - 3 Likes   #78
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax has put up a 15-minute video of key parts of the event. It covers the parts about firmware and the Monochrome K-3 III, and thankfully seems to have human-created subtitles. If you want to see the monochrome prototype images, go to around the 8 minute mark.

Actually, they have also changed the slides to include English.

Last edited by JPT; 11-30-2022 at 07:10 AM.
11-30-2022, 07:17 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You beat me to it

But stupid question - what it means "display 1,7 crop image in viewfinder"? Mistranslation? I kinda doubt it can project cropped image into viewfinder?

11-30-2022, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #80
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
You beat me to it

But stupid question - what it means "display 1,7 crop image in viewfinder"? Mistranslation? I kinda doubt it can project cropped image into viewfinder?
It means to overlay a frame over the OVF to indicate the crop area. At least that was my understanding from what he said.
11-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And here I hoped there is some sort of miniprojector hidden for software upgrade engaging hybrid viewfinder

Nice video, just finished it. It is great that they made english version of it. Also samples from monochrome looked pretty impressive despite YT compressing.
11-30-2022, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Loyal Site Supporter

Of note I just returned from a vacation where I carried the K3III, and with it a K-3 monochrome converted. I had expected to use the K-3 a little, but lean mostly on the K3III. It was just the opposite.

I spent nearly the entire 6 days shooting black and white, as high as the ISO 25600 shown in the Pentax video. There's just a world of difference in the fineness of the grain at those high ISO's, and in certain high contrast scenarios where color was not essential the depth and crispness of the images were definitively better than the full-color K3III. I didn't even use a filter, just straight from the sensor. Now I'm anxious to try a few of them.

So in a nutshell I ended up searching out opportunities to use the K-3 throughout my stay, much to my surprise. Taking it was an afterthought, and now I'm glad I packed it. The K3III monochrome is going to deliver notablely different imaging than the full-color version just converting to black and white as desired. For those who can swing the cost, a monochrome K3III deserves a hard look IMO even if you already own a K3III or K1.

11-30-2022, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

Might be a good idea to post the highlights video as a new thread, this one wasn't very easy to find and could get buried.

Monochrome only K-3 Mark III (prototype already completed!)
New Winter Mode film simulation
Focus limiter mode for macro lenses firmware
Focus point switching mode for landscape/portrait
1.7x crop mode
12-01-2022, 02:58 AM - 2 Likes   #84
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The J limited Online Event 2022 'Year after Year' has been rescheduled for Wednesday 28 December from 11am to 1pm UTC. The new wood grips (one brown, one blue) for the KP that they were going to announce on the 27th are on sale as of today.
12-11-2022, 10:37 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The J limited Online Event 2022 'Year after Year' has been rescheduled for Wednesday 28 December from 11am to 1pm UTC. The new wood grips (one brown, one blue) for the KP that they were going to announce on the 27th are on sale as of today.
Pricing 25,000¥ for a single grip / 46,000¥ for the pair… anyone want to split a pair?
01-15-2023, 04:02 AM   #86
Pentaxian

seems like after the official event there are rumors.
Isn't it usually the other way around?
K3iii Monochrome rumors - PentaxForums.com
01-15-2023, 04:43 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
seems like after the official event there are rumors.
Isn't it usually the other way around?
K3iii Monochrome rumors - PentaxForums.com
There isn't an ounce of rumour or news in the Chinese blog post relayed by the OP in the Pentax Forums thread you gave a link to:

- the Japanese text is a quote of (i) the online event Pentax held on the 23rd of November and (ii) the survey sent out after the meeting
- the Chinese text is a short translation of the Japanese text
- the pictures come from the same meeting / video.
01-16-2023, 06:25 AM   #88
Pentaxian

then i ask myself why the new thread is called "rumors".
01-16-2023, 04:54 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
then i ask myself why the new thread is called "rumors".
Is that a rumor? or a re-rumor?

There was a hint in the other thread that the new version of the Pentax WiFi control software will work with a camera with "not so many colors"... which I see as a good sign...

-Eric
01-16-2023, 07:27 PM   #90
Closed Account

Source: Facebook

Translation:

27 November 2022 marks the 103rd anniversary of PENTAX's origins.
Last year we held two online events on the same day; this year we are preparing to hold the following events:
  • Wednesday 23 November evening (public holiday): PENTAX meeting
  • Sunday 27 November evening: J limited [meeting]
Both events are scheduled to end before Japan's World Cup football match.⚽
More details to follow shortly!
Do these events eventually get "close captioning" in English, later ?

If so, are there previous PentAX online events we can watch now?