Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2022, 05:51 AM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fuz Quote
Well, I own 13 years old Pentax k-x and waiting for the modernised K-70 or some other mid-range DSLR like KP was. I miss some functions from the 2016 released K-70 and hoping for some real upgraded version. I do not want to spend too much money for K3 Mark III and miss the flip screen etc. But agree with you, lets wait for the official announcement.
The k70 is already from another planet compared to the kr, even only in terms of operation (in addition to the sensor, the processor, the functionality). For me that I own it is already fine and I would not even see particular reasons to update it in a model. The fact remains that if you make a new camera with a new name someone expects it to be something different. It is not strange. If it's the same, you don't have to change your name. So this kF will be astro and will have less than k70 only the filters in front of the sensor.

11-09-2022, 06:11 AM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The name change is a bit mystifying so far but like others have said, wait and see what the official line is. I’m not in the market, but I’m curious. My KP is “sleeping just fine” this morning as another poster said.
11-09-2022, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #153

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't want to spoil the party, but this camera addresses the fact that the K-70 might be out of production and some alignment of the production/components was possible/necessary, and probably also some price adjustment. I don't know what you expected, but it just might be the entry model of the APS-C DSLR line, like the K-70 was. But I would see this as something that manufactures do from time to time.
Here is an interesting hypothesis!
With the recent shortage of electronic components, Ricoh could no longer produce the K-70.
They would have been forced in urgency to adapt with alternative components.
If this is the case, I congratulate Ricoh for its reactivity ... even if I am not interested in this camera, I am already very happy with my K-1 II and K-3 III.
However I was planning to give a K-70 to my daughter, it will be a KF.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
11-09-2022, 06:20 AM   #154
Pentaxian

I don't want to spoil the party, but this camera addresses the fact that the K-70 might be out of production and some alignment of the production/components was possible/necessary, and probably also some price adjustment. I don't know what you expected, but it just might be the entry model of the APS-C DSLR line, like the K-70 was. But I would see this as something that manufactures do from time to time.
No party is necessary. I wish Pentax had simply made an announcement when it was ready to sell, then those of us in the lower-tier market could decide whether to purchase or to ‘stay pat’. The most significant news lately in that market was probably the latest version of the solenoid, and it was simply slipped into production {they were probably embarrassed that actions of a supplier had made it necessary} with no simple way to even recognize its presence.

Last edited by reh321; 11-09-2022 at 06:27 AM.
11-09-2022, 06:27 AM - 3 Likes   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The most significant news lately in that market was probably the latest version of the solenoid, and it was simply slipped into production with no simple way to even recognize its presence.
KFixed… lol. Maybe that’s the meaning.
11-09-2022, 06:30 AM - 7 Likes   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do not be so negative. It is not K-70 most likely, some components may be replaced etc. And all in all K-70 was good entry camera for Pentax system. Having it, even slightly, refreshed (frankly replacing stuff no longer available and adding new menu would be enough) is not bad. It is not aimed at current Pentaxians, clearly - those already have KP, one of K-3 models or K-1. But as invitation to the system? Why not?

I think you were all expecting cheap K-3 Mk III and hence the disappointment. But then why should Pentax create inside competition for their flagship?
11-09-2022, 07:09 AM - 5 Likes   #157
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Translation of the various slides:

QuoteQuote:
Dustproof and drip-proof body; high environmental performance with -10°C cold resistance.
Can be used in a variety of situations in combination with compatible lenses.

QuoteQuote:
Controlling a wide range of colours

Colours that can be selected to suit the scene, just like changing a film.
Built-in custom image function, the first mid-range camera to support Custom Image Special Edition.
Use of compatible lenses further expands the range of colours.

QuoteQuote:
Weight: 625g (body only) [without battery and card]
Dustproof, drip-proof
Built-in wireless LAN
Continuous drive: Approx. 6 frames/sec
Pixel count: 24MP
Image stabilisation: 4.5 stops
Battery life: 400

QuoteQuote:
One of the best optical viewfinders

Optical viewfinder with a field of view of approx. 100% and magnification of approx. 0.95x.
Glass pentaprism for easy focusing.
Manual focus shooting is also comfortable.

QuoteQuote:
In-body image stabilisation

Built-in 4.5-stop in-body Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism enables image stabilisation with all lenses.
In addition, using the same mechanism, you can use functions such as Real Resolution, Low-Pass Selector, Automatic Level Compensation and Astrotracer.

QuoteQuote:
Support for starry sky photography

GPS unit (sold separately)

By using the optional GPS unit, the Astrotracer can be used to take long-exposure photographs with no star streaming, allowing the stars to remain points in the image.
In addition, the 'red screen display' function facilitates shooting in dark places e.g. astrophotography.

Last edited by Mistral75; 11-09-2022 at 07:18 AM.
11-09-2022, 07:32 AM   #158
Pentaxian

It's interesting why the name change. I could only guess the K$ have a 100% 0.95 glass prism viewfinder. The KF seems to share/inherit this from the KP, I don't know what the K-70 had, but weren't there some entry level cameras with porromirror viewfinder also in Pentax lineup?
11-09-2022, 07:36 AM   #159
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Additional quotation of marketing material and specs, same source:
QuoteQuote:
Ultra-high resolution of approximately 24.24 million effective megapixels and ultra-high sensitivity of ISO 102,400.
Compact digital SLR camera with a dustproof, drip-proof design suitable for outdoor photography.
Standard model with a vari-angle LCD monitor to enjoy full-fledged single-lens reflex photography.
11-09-2022, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #160
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's interesting why the name change. I could only guess the K$ have a 100% 0.95 glass prism viewfinder. The KF seems to share/inherit this from the KP, I don't know what the K-70 had, but weren't there some entry level cameras with porromirror viewfinder also in Pentax lineup?
100% 0.95x too.

K-m, K-x and K-r had a 96% coverage 0.85x magnification pentamirror viewfinder. That was long ago.
11-09-2022, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian

Yes but Pentax stopped using pentamirrors years ago, before Ricoh purchased them as I recall.
11-09-2022, 07:55 AM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps Ricoh couldn't deploy the necessary resources for a truly upgraded K-70 successor because a K-1 II replacement is in the works...
11-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Citazione:
Citation:
Image stabilization

built-in The built-in 4.5-stop Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism enables image stabilization with all lenses.
Furthermore, using the same mechanism, functions such as Real Resolution, Low-Pass Selector, Automatic Level Compensation and Astrotracer can be used..

Ok, this.

would say that the kF is a k70 with some peculiarities that are contained in the possibilities of low pass selector, astrotracer and others whose meaning will be clarified.
The fact is that a pure star without a filter would not be usable for "normal" photos. In this way they maintained the excellent characteristics of the k70 (the various options for choosing the JPEG filters still present would not have made sense) and open to other peculiar characteristics as they had announced (astro and who knows infrared, etc,). We can wait to konw what is Real Resolution, Low-Pass Selector, Automatic Level Compensation and Astrotracer.

We will have to better understand how the new features are but if the premises are like the astro softwere of the k3III I would say good Pentax. They just did what they said.

Last edited by nonpigliounoshoot; 11-09-2022 at 08:16 AM.
11-09-2022, 08:21 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Translation of the various slides:

the same dimensions and specs as K-70 (Announced Jun 8, 2016 - more than 6 years ago)
but
Battery Life (CIPA) 410 (K-70)

I hope for new hardware inside...Touchscreen and new AF system

Last edited by borisII; 11-09-2022 at 08:26 AM.
11-09-2022, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Feels a bit like the upgrade from the K-30 to the K-50 (although there were more cosmetic changes with that upgrade).
Closed Thread