Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2022, 05:00 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Wild speculation here:
-Katie's 26MP sensor, if only just so Ricoh can buy a bigger batch of the same one (diluting the extra cost it probably has over whatever 24MP chip is still available).
-Old K-3/KP AF system. 27 points, which is better than whatever DSLRs remain at this price level, but probably will be a giant "meh" compared to similarly-priced MILCs. With some luck, better algorithms. No chance whatsoever of eye-AF through the OVF. Better Live View in line with the K-3iii.
-Astrotracer Type 3, *hopefully*. Possibly as a paid upgrade, but I hope not.
-Whatever version of the PRIME engine is current, with Accelerator II.
-No other changes to the spec sheet (same old 6 fps, 1/6000 shutter, yadda yadda).
-Literally the K-70 chassis. No change to the button layout, flipping mechanism, prism, etc.
-Screen might be touch-enabled now.

Basically, a competent and slightly modernized option for the "My K-70 broke, what now" crowd.

I strongly doubt that.. we will see

11-08-2022, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But K-90 was a problem ? No big deal, I don't care much.

If only for once they decided for an understandable naming scheme. But that wouldn't be very Pentax, would it ?

* K-xx (numbers) -> "low end"
* K-letter -> mid range
* K-x (single number) -> high end.

But no...
11-08-2022, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be so interesting to see - same scenario as happened with releasing the K3 III.

-
waitin....and waitin..... leaks how it's coming on winter -....in the summer.....in the autumn

11-08-2022, 05:25 AM - 2 Likes   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
It would be so interesting to see - same scenario as happened with releasing the K3 III.

-
waitin....and waitin..... leaks how it's coming on winter -....in the summer.....in the autumn

yeah, but Pentax is alive... somehow.

11-08-2022, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #95
KX5
Forum Member

Probably with the K3iii sensor (26mp)
11-08-2022, 06:41 AM - 5 Likes   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only thing I’m betting on is that it uses the new processor - which would unify the firmware efforts around one platform.
11-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Wild speculation here:
-Katie's 26MP sensor, if only just so Ricoh can buy a bigger batch of the same one (diluting the extra cost it probably has over whatever 24MP chip is still available).
-Old K-3/KP AF system. 27 points, which is better than whatever DSLRs remain at this price level, but probably will be a giant "meh" compared to similarly-priced MILCs. With some luck, better algorithms. No chance whatsoever of eye-AF through the OVF. Better Live View in line with the K-3iii.
-No other changes to the spec sheet (same old 6 fps, 1/6000 shutter, yadda yadda).
-Literally the K-70 chassis. No change to the button layout, flipping mechanism, prism, etc.

Basically, a competent and slightly modernized option for the "My K-70 broke, what now" crowd.
It will be interesting to see what we actually get. Applying the same logic to the processor that you apply to the sensor, I expect the same processor that the K-3iii got, which alone could provide faster focusing, slightly better bursts, and {if they include that firmware from the K-3iii} more graceful handling of old lenses.

We shall see in about 2-1/2 weeks {maybe}.; that alone should add some ‘pizazz’ to the Sunday celebration if they do release it as planned.

11-08-2022, 07:01 AM - 4 Likes   #98
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We shall see in about 2-1/2 weeks {maybe}
The announcement will be this week, so we'll know the specs very soon. The November 25 date is for when it will be available to buy from Japanese stores.

I don't expect anything too revolutionary at this level. It might be a very mild update with a few minor changes. Even so, it would be good for a few reasons.
- Sometimes these mild updates get criticism at first but become known as very dependable cameras - the K-5 II(s) and KP would be examples.
- It will put to bed the idea that Pentax is going to focus on only the high end and leave their lower-spending customers high and dry.
- Pentax has mentioned a couple of ideas for special models of the K-70 at events (Clubhouse edition and astrophotography model). These would presumably now be based on this more capable model.
- People who want a flip screen will continue to have an APS-C option.
- There is just something reassuringly "business-as-usual" about Pentax releasing a camera like this in a few colors.
11-08-2022, 07:07 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wild speculation here:

Where is the wild speculation? In accordance to what I said, isn't it?

If speculating about the screen - I would think there will be no touch screen, as to expensive and not compatible with the flip screen.

And I am really curious which sensor it will be. I am only sure, it will not be the one of K-1.
11-08-2022, 07:21 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My guesses:

Things that will be the same: no grip, similar body style to K-70, one card slot, same pentaprism as on the K-70 (good, but not K-3 III level), similar frame rate and buffer size compared to the K-70.

Things that will be "improved:" 26 megapixel sensor, next generation accelerator, 4K video, support for faster memory cards, KP level auto focus (27 points with half decent tracking). Better wifi options, GPS through phone connection, astro tracer type III.
11-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guesses:

Things that will be the same: no grip, similar body style to K-70, one card slot, same pentaprism as on the K-70 (good, but not K-3 III level), similar frame rate and buffer size compared to the K-70.

Things that will be "improved:" 26 megapixel sensor, next generation accelerator, 4K video, support for faster memory cards, KP level auto focus (27 points with half decent tracking). Better wifi options, GPS through phone connection, astro tracer type III.
more than similar I would say that the body you see is just the same. Look at this picture of k70 and compare with that of the new kF. It's the same.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-70/top/img/main_img_01-3.jpg
11-08-2022, 07:47 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I'm going to guess it's a regular K-70 body (I like the idea of finally ditching the green solenoid).
I be the interface is going to be updated to that of the K-3 Mark III to support the new firmware technology (ie: Astrotracer Type III; subject recognition).
Will be interesting to see if it also retain BlueTooth, 4K video, or USB-C charging, too.

I feel like Ricoh is sitting on a fair amount (relatively) of new releases... there's exciting days ahead.
As far as I am aware, no one has said anything about ditching the Chinese-made solenoid. The latest version - put in recent K-70’s - does seem to “age” well.
11-08-2022, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
more than similar I would say that the body you see is just the same. Look at this picture of k70 and compare with that of the new kF. It's the same.

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-70/top/img/main_img_01-3.jpg
I don't think we have actual photos of the camera. What we have are artists rendering of the new camera. It may be exactly the same, but we can wait to see.
11-08-2022, 08:07 AM - 3 Likes   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The announcement will be this week, so we'll know the specs very soon. The November 25 date is for when it will be available to buy from Japanese stores.

I don't expect anything too revolutionary at this level. It might be a very mild update with a few minor changes. Even so, it would be good for a few reasons.
- Sometimes these mild updates get criticism at first but become known as very dependable cameras - the K-5 II(s) and KP would be examples.
- It will put to bed the idea that Pentax is going to focus on only the high end and leave their lower-spending customers high and dry.
OK - I misunderstood - but even 2-1/2 weeks is a short time to wait. I have been expecting a low-tier camera {I, for one, have never felt “left high and dry” by Pentax even though I’m not a ‘big spender’} even before the K-1iii, implementing a few of the changes from the K-3iii. Now, I’ll patiently wait and internally compare it to my KP. If it uses the new processor, it may provide faster focusing and processing, so may be attractive to me. I would finally retire my K-30 and use my KP as backup. My wife is flying to California today, but I raised the issue with her via ‘text’, and she has already approved my purchasing one if that is appropriate.
11-08-2022, 08:07 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think we have actual photos of the camera. What we have are artists rendering of the new camera. It may be exactly the same, but we can wait to see.
so they said though. We will see.

Another interesting thing to note in my opinion is the comparison of prices in yen. The k70 is sold in the Japanese ricoh store for 73,500 yen. This will sell for around 120,000. A third more. Both body only.

however, it is quite similar to what was expected for a k70 dedicated to the astro ..
Closed Thread