Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 480 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2022, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, IMO the K-70 didn't have a lot of flaws at its price point, so an incremental update makes sense. Better AF, better video w/stabilization would probably top the list.

11-07-2022, 05:10 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm going to guess it's a regular K-70 body (I like the idea of finally ditching the green solenoid).
I be the interface is going to be updated to that of the K-3 Mark III to support the new firmware technology (ie: Astrotracer Type III; subject recognition).
Will be interesting to see if it also retain BlueTooth, 4K video, or USB-C charging, too.

I feel like Ricoh is sitting on a fair amount (relatively) of new releases... there's exciting days ahead.
11-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I was told this directly by the Australian distributer, CRK.

Hi Paul,

It caught us by surprise as well. We would have rather seen the K-70 go, but Ricoh Japan thought that having the KP & K-3 Mk III competing would confuse the market, while the K-70 has a bigger feature gap that makes the upgrade more relevant.
They are very wary of not falling into the Canon trap, where cameras are so closely positioned to each other that it confuses the market.
– 4 March 2021
I wouldn’t put stock in that as gospel. But it is plausible.
11-07-2022, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #79

My worst guess is that, it is a rebranded K-70

Since it is produced at a very limited number (700 for each colour), I dun think it will go global

11-07-2022, 08:01 PM   #80

I feel sad about Pentax. Every move it takes incurs doubt and mocking.

Back to the topic...I think, the KF is a complementary camera to the KP and will hopefully be integrated with more powerful video capability than the K-70.
11-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #81

The social media "influencers" have to have these in their hands already so they can make their buy this camera YouTubes. Why no specs leaks? No pre-release hype? Less than 3 weeks out. We knew about the K-3iii for what a year?
11-07-2022, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What I mean is, were there actual simultaneous production lines, or was it a case of having a batch of K-1's produced, and then a batch of KP's produced? That sort of thing would be invisible to the consumer.

Or maybe there was one production line for K-1, and one production line dedicated to an APS-C model, but never both "active" APS-C models at the same time.

I think it would be more cost-effective for small quantities to be done in batches rather than parallel, and that would certainly fit with Pentax's new model release schedule
I imagine that a low-volume camera manufacturer like Ricoh (probably) only needs one physical production line, and produces each camera body in batches, with a particular setup for each, as required. Even that line may have branches for the individual component groups and sub-assemblies (electronics, optics, mechanical systems etc) that merge into the final assembly. It would be a different matter for a large-scale manufacturer, where continuous production was required.

11-07-2022, 10:57 PM   #83
Pentaxian

I would like to know specs.

Being a K-Character looks like it's gonna be a mid range camera.

I don't believe it would be a small k3-iii but that would be great
11-07-2022, 11:47 PM   #84

I mean I'm game for an entry level replacement. Been on a k50 for... Nearing 10 years now? The older iso limits and DR are really starting to show their age (my xperia is taking better full sun photos, night photos are still better on the camera but colours are easier to deal with on the phone shots), so a generational update would be nice. I'm nowhere near professional enough to warrant a k3 update, and the k70 was never enough of an update to be worth it over the k50.

Although this will still make my uniqlo shirt wrong since it says K3!
11-08-2022, 12:05 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
My worst guess is that, it is a rebranded K-70

Since it is produced at a very limited number (700 for each colour), I dun think it will go global
Rebranded... from Pentax to Pentax?
It's absurd. And only the two color versions are made in 700 units, not the standard black.
11-08-2022, 12:18 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP:

“ Colours: Black, Crystal White (limited to 700 units), Crystal Blue (limited to 700 units)”

Rudy

Read more at: Pentax KF - PentaxForums.com
11-08-2022, 02:18 AM - 5 Likes   #87
Pentaxian

I'm just pleased that Ricoh is continuing to release new Pentax Dslr's. An updated k-70 would interest me.
11-08-2022, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think we do not have to do wild speculations, just look at the past.

Updates from the K-XX series always got the AF-module and metering sensor of the discontinued top model. As well as an updated processor.
A new sensor is also most probable, as the one of the K-70 is expected to be out of production.
So what probably will hit the market, will be a K-70 - flip screen and selenoid included - with the modules of a KP.
Thus it might be called a follow up to the KP instead to the K-70. Hence the new name.
And of course the selling price will be closer to the KP as to the K-70.
A beast of a midrange camera.

Only thing I really wonder about: What will happen to the K-70. Probably discontinued due to lack of sensor.

There will be of course no module from the K-3 iii in the KF. They are not stupid at Ricoh.
11-08-2022, 02:46 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Simply ran out of odd numbers K-30/50/70 KNinety barks too much K-10 was already used in the K10D. They will probably keep KF and call the next one KF-II
11-08-2022, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I think we do not have to do wild speculations, just look at the past.

Updates from the K-XX series always got the AF-module and metering sensor of the discontinued top model. As well as an updated processor.
A new sensor is also most probable, as the one of the K-70 is expected to be out of production.
So what probably will hit the market, will be a K-70 - flip screen and selenoid included - with the modules of a KP.
Thus it might be called a follow up to the KP instead to the K-70. Hence the new name.
And of course the selling price will be closer to the KP as to the K-70.
A beast of a midrange camera.

Only thing I really wonder about: What will happen to the K-70. Probably discontinued due to lack of sensor.

There will be of course no module from the K-3 iii in the KF. They are not stupid at Ricoh.
Wild speculation here:
-Katie's 26MP sensor, if only just so Ricoh can buy a bigger batch of the same one (diluting the extra cost it probably has over whatever 24MP chip is still available).
-Old K-3/KP AF system. 27 points, which is better than whatever DSLRs remain at this price level, but probably will be a giant "meh" compared to similarly-priced MILCs. With some luck, better algorithms. No chance whatsoever of eye-AF through the OVF. Better Live View in line with the K-3iii.
-Astrotracer Type 3, *hopefully*. Possibly as a paid upgrade, but I hope not.
-Whatever version of the PRIME engine is current, with Accelerator II.
-No other changes to the spec sheet (same old 6 fps, 1/6000 shutter, yadda yadda).
-Literally the K-70 chassis. No change to the button layout, flipping mechanism, prism, etc.
-Screen might be touch-enabled now.

Basically, a competent and slightly modernized option for the "My K-70 broke, what now" crowd.
Closed Thread