Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Here I ‘missed the excitement’.

I just got back from a photo trip {I used my “Q” for compactness}

My KP will be pleased,
I AM NOT.
I thought you were mostly very happy with your KP?

11-09-2022, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about it simply justifying a price rise. How would a price bump on a 7-8 year old camera look?
11-09-2022, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a rebranded K70. Does it have any significant new feature? Good video? Anything?

Asking $800 on a camera with the same technology of 5 years ago, when the market is overflowing with used DSLRs after people move to Fuji, doesn’t make sense.

If this is a marketing strategy do get rid of old parts stock, I’m afraid Pentax will not survive, this is a “milking the cow” move.
11-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I thought you were mostly very happy with your KP?
My KP is pleased because now I’ll probably not comment as much about its focusing shortcomings.
It’s ‘job’ will be secure for now.

I AM NOT pleased about getting excited over what was basically a marketing stunt.

Pentax could have made a mild statement that a substitution has necessitated a name change.

In fact, come to think of it, they could have worked it into their chatter at one of the already-scheduled end-of-this-month sessions.

That situation a did not call for the drama of their usual “leak”.

Last edited by reh321; 11-09-2022 at 05:46 PM.
11-09-2022, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #215
Veteran Member

Wait, it's 2022 and the "brand new" KF doesn't even have the AF module from 2013 (K-3)?

(Sorry, just came by to renew my donation after having been absent for a while, but thinking of getting back into it now... Saw the leaked pics & got excited for a second.)

Last edited by Doundounba; 11-09-2022 at 05:47 PM.
11-09-2022, 06:03 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Wait, it's 2022 and the "brand new" KF doesn't even have the AF module from 2013 (K-3)?

(Sorry, just came by to renew my donation after having been absent for a while, but thinking of getting back into it now... Saw the leaked pics & got excited for a second.)
After a few moments of thought this week, I reached the conclusion that the K-70 didn’t need a replacement focus module to deal with my issues; all it needs is the faster processor in the K-3iii - all it needs to do is the same focusing it does now, but move faster - and surely any new camera would have that new processor.
11-09-2022, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
why to discontinue KP , then release / rebrand old K70 ?? . why KF not K70 II ? and what's so special about this new camera to attract new ones ( or as many says YOUNG ) to Pentax system ??
i don't understand Ricoh marketing system .......... maybe someone can explain !!???

11-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #218

Yawn. Wake me up when they bring out an updated K-1.
11-09-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
why to discontinue KP , then release / rebrand old K70 ?? . why KF not K70 II ? and what's so special about this new camera to attract new ones ( or as many says YOUNG ) to Pentax system ??
i don't understand Ricoh marketing system .......... maybe someone can explain !!???
I agree. With its 2-capital letters name, it should be a KP replacement, but it is instead in the K-70 design concept. And, KM is before KP in the alphabet, not after. But the ac-COUNT-ability has long been a problem with Pentax developing their model progression. A true KP II with a BSI sensor at this price would be a better idea. Start it out at $1,300 USD then to be dropped to just under $1,000. Hopefully, this new model will finally no longer have the solenoid problem that has plagued a number of past models, including earlier batches of the K-70.
11-09-2022, 06:42 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote

Odd that the SAFOX X parts are still available, especially after the number of K-30, K-50 and K-5II cameras sold at the peak of the market (10 years ago). Perhaps an order to replenish stock was placed in say 2015, based on the sales volume up to that point and Ricoh has been trying to use up their huge stockpile ever since.

This is part of what "workshop" manufacturing means; as long as upgrades can be done in software or by installing new components without having to redesign (and re-engineer) most of the camera, even relatively modest demand (~10,000 units?) can support "new" model introductions. From a manufacturing standpoint, there is value in continuing to produce similar products, using similar tooling and manufacturing processes. Not only is new tooling expensive enough to require relatively large sales volumes to recoup costs, but the cost of training personnel and ironing out wrinkles on the factory floor can be equally expensive. At least, this is an indication that Ricoh is trying to keep using whatever resources they had for producing the K-70, as opposed to abandoning that part of Ricoh Imaging's operations.
11-09-2022, 06:47 PM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Odd that the SAFOX X parts are still available, especially after the number of K-30, K-50 and K-5II cameras sold at the peak of the market (10 years ago). Perhaps an order to replenish stock was placed in say 2015, based on the sales volume up to that point and Ricoh has been trying to use up their huge stockpile ever since.

This is part of what "workshop" manufacturing means; as long as upgrades can be done in software or by installing new components without having to redesign (and re-engineer) most of the camera, even relatively modest demand (~10,000 units?) can support "new" model introductions. From a manufacturing standpoint, there is value in continuing to produce similar products, using similar tooling and manufacturing processes. Not only is new tooling expensive enough to require relatively large sales volumes to recoup costs, but the cost of training personnel and ironing out wrinkles on the factory floor can be equally expensive. At least, this is an indication that Ricoh is trying to keep using whatever resources they had for producing the K-70, as opposed to abandoning that part of Ricoh Imaging's operations.
If they didn’t need the dramatic “leaks” that go with something truly new. They could have simply told us what they are doing

Last edited by reh321; 11-09-2022 at 08:49 PM.
11-09-2022, 07:16 PM - 4 Likes   #222
Forum Member

Most sad thing is not at least upgrading AF system to KP or K3 II level. It's not like that would compete against the K3 III.

Definitely a lost opportunity.
11-09-2022, 07:20 PM   #223

Well that was... A bit disappointing. With the name change to KF I was hoping for a slight move up to KP specs, but otherwise if there's no other significant changes to it other than hopefully guaranteeing it's a unit that doesn't have a bad aperture block, i could have updated years ago and seen the same changes =T

Dare I hope for something that will show up between this new KF and K3 iii...?
11-09-2022, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #224
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there a system to Pentax naming convention? . Other than the starting letter K, what follows are random numbers or letters. This is essentially a K-70II.

Last edited by sbc; 11-09-2022 at 07:38 PM.
11-09-2022, 07:50 PM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
Is there a system to Pentax naming convention? . Other than the starting letter K, what follows are random numbers or letters. This is essentially a K-70II.
Not really, because “K-70ii” implies an advancement beyond “K-70i”. This is really just K-70 with different parts - they’ve never tried to communicate that that I know of. I suppose they should get credit for trying, but they could have just told us. We have to guess from date of manufacture which solenoid is used …… this is just an expansion of that.
Closed Thread