Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 480 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2022, 10:57 AM   #316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
I think/hope this is what's happening - they've made a bigger bet/investment on a higher value product (e.g. K1-III, more lenses) that is consuming more budget/resources, but are doing a low-cost (to implement) refresh of an existing lower-tier product to round out the lineup as a "quick win". It's too bad the message may have been embellished and resulted in higher expectations against what was ultimately delivered.

To the comments about pricing, even if the parts haven't increased in cost (which in itself is doubtful - the computer comparison is likely derived from incorrectly interpreting Moore's law as causing tech to become faster and cheaper on a predictable basis, such as doubling in performance per dollar every 18mo), companies don't always set pricing based on "cost plus" and even if they did, there are other potentially rising unit costs beyond the raw bill of materials, like that of the labour / infrastructure to put the final product together.
the hard thing is that Pentax really can only work on one new camera at a time. This is unfortunate, but it leads to a new release every two to three years. The K-3 III took quite a while to get out the door and the k-1 III will be no different. This camera didn't take significant time because it isn't really changed significantly.

11-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I already said it, and I will repeat myself. You wanted K-3 Mk III in plastic body for half a price. You did not get it, so you complain.L.
I have already said it, and I will repeat myself, I expecting a new processor, and was willing to pay $1000 for a camera with it. I was not expecting {nor needing} a K-3iii prism {which would have added weight - a negative in my pov}, nor a better burst system, nor a bigger battery {another source of unnecessary weight}, nor even a K-3iii AF sensor. That is vastly different from the picture you are painting. This is a six-year old camera, but presented as a new design.

Last edited by reh321; 11-10-2022 at 02:17 PM.
11-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #318
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
the hard thing is that Pentax really can only work on one new camera at a time.
I doubt that's actually true. Although they clearly don't release anywhere near fast.
11-10-2022, 11:52 AM - 3 Likes   #319
Pentaxian

I do wonder what is the big discussion at here again. Great value entrylevel camera coming up. Pentax is still delivering cameras after K-3III and this is just to serve that group of people who wish to have entry level camera with smaller budget. Teaser video looked great and you can get most of things done with this camera you want from DSLR anyway and it is brand new with most recent things(yes not K-3III level, but so what).

IMHO entrylevel with WR and all that is quite darn good already. Even more expnsive models from 'competition' does not have that. especially with 'cheap lenses' .

Yes, ricoh/pentax has slow release cycle. It is actually bigger thing that you would thing in this world of consuming us all to a point where it is not really needed. Still you are forced to bring new things on the board in order to show that you have a pulse.

good to see this coming up.

11-10-2022, 11:53 AM - 3 Likes   #320
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Canon EOS REBEL SL3: released 2019, 4k video, $ 749
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah0xQlGzxNU

Olympus OM-D E-M10: released 2017, 4k video, $ 598
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB0-gpR3VpM

Pentax is now half a decade behind.
Pentax has never been about video, nor should they be IMO. They are photographers' camera's, as such better for stills both in results and ergonomics than either of those you mentioned.

Personally, I use my flagship smartphone for those few times I've needed video as I already have it anyway and it's more capable for that purpose than any of the entry-level mirrorless or DSLR's AFAICT. If you really need premium video features and functions I'd suggest buying a video-centric camera rather than a one-size-fits-all, master of none.
11-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #321
Pentaxian

It's clearly just a continuation of the k-70 with supply-driven changes to a few internal components and a better LCD . I'm not sure anyone is trying to paint it as a new design or similar.

I want to buy a new Pentax aps-c dslr , my K-5 shutter button is failing and the repair cost isn't terribly justifiable. I'd love to buy a k3iii but I'd prefer a non-fixed LCD for more general use. That's been the sticking point for me. K-70's are getting hard to find, at least the KF answers that problem. Whether I'll wait for a true new model remains to be seen.
11-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I doubt that's actually true. Although they clearly don't release anywhere near fast.
Talking about K mount gear, we've had a camera every couple of years, not? This is what I remember, Pentax KP -- January of 2017, Pentax K-1 II -- March of 2018 (tweak of the Mark I K-1), and Pentax K-3 III on April of 2021. There may have been others that I don't remember, but if that's right, then it is roughly 3 cameras in a 6 year period of time. Maybe they are working on multiple projects at once and so that slows things down, but it just feels like they are under-resourced.

11-10-2022, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #323
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderator Note:
I've merged the two "Pentax KF" threads to prevent confusion.
11-10-2022, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #324
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
100% agree Mark. There's not much advantage to using limited resources to create an entirely new camera body/hardware build to be sold at entry-level prices when they can be better spent on finishing up and sourcing components for a K1-III
Exactly. Well said. I'm sure the K-1 replacement will incorporate all their latest tech and more.
11-10-2022, 12:54 PM   #325
Pentaxian

Guess this comes back into play once more...with a few minor adjustments...

11-10-2022, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #326
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is there a Monty Python joke in here
That's me using a new keyboard with a different bounce to the keys...
11-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
Guess this comes back into play once more...with a few minor adjustments...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXb5qg-zvbE
A few quick observations:

She held the camera correctly!
She didn’t use a lens hood.
They claim 100% waterproof which is a bit strong if they won’t cover water damage.
I never saw it before today and clearly it was released a while back. The penetration of that ad must be pretty weak.
I don’t think that bag is fashion conscious enough for this kind of lifestyle ad.
11-10-2022, 01:28 PM   #328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
No one else is re-releasing a 2016 camera with 2016 specs and bringing the price back to original MRSP, AFAIK. The K-70 still sells at Fotokoch for 900€ with kit lens (and it usually went for less than 800), while the KF goes for 1050€ at Ricoh, and Fotokoch isn't particularly cheaper than the online store in general.
Pentax.... The K-1 is selling for $3400AUD, I bought it for $2300AUD in 2018 new from a physical store. Their prices have gone up over the years, unlike as you say other brands slowly reducing prices for their gear as the years go by
11-10-2022, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
They could made a parts substitution, and kept moving as they did with the solenoid; most likely, no one would have noticed.
That assumes that there is or are exact form, fit and function equivalent replacements for the EOL (End of Life) parts. When you start talking about integrated circuits, light sensors, LCD screens, switches, connectors and many others, the probability of such parts existing is quite low. Then take into account that any parts that do meet FFF would still need to be validated by Ricoh to meet performance, quality and reliability requirements. And if the EOL part has anything to do with even minor updates to the firmware of the camera, extensive regression testing would be required to validate the substitution.

Don't forget, we're not talking about parts that are needed in the millions for these cameras, so the likelihood of Ricoh having the purchasing clout to have the manufacturer tool up for a new run of parts they have decided to discontinue is low. I worked in component engineering for many years and fully appreciate the efforts needed to keep electronic products in production for more that a very few years.

At some point the decision has to be made to invest in inventory of parts that may never get used (while forecasting how many will be needed for sales of new units vs. repair parts) or to invest in the R&D needed to redesign the original item or design something new.

I do concede that the KF name implies more than has been has been delivered, if we know all there is to know about it.
11-10-2022, 01:51 PM - 1 Like   #330
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Pentax.... The K-1 is selling for $3400AUD, I bought it for $2300AUD in 2018 new from a physical store. Their prices have gone up over the years, unlike as you say other brands slowly reducing prices for their gear as the years go by
As mentioned before, your Aussie market may be an outlier. Or perhaps your memory is faulty or you are mixing up model versions?

In any event, the K1-II body-only price in the US was approx.$2000 at rollout. It currently sells with the battery grip (by itself orig $280?) for US$1800.

So yes, the launch price has come down.

EDIT:
OK Eddy, I think it's your memory at fault. Even the original K-1 back in 2016 launched in Australia for $2900AU, body-only.
https://www.insideimaging.com.au/2016/pentax-flagship-weighs-anchor-in-sydney/
The K1-II would have been higher by maybe 15-20% when it came to your market in 2018. Today I'm not seeing the stores in your country offering its newer model version for $3400. Ted has it for $2900AU

EDIT 2: I see where you got your price. Ricoh company retail shows it as $3400. FWIW there are a number of already existing cameras and lenses that have seen manufacturer retail price increases in this past year above that of their original. For example Fuji recently announced retail prices would be increased as much as 30% on lenses already produced blaming it on "raw material costs, manufacturing and distribution costs continue to soar"

Last edited by gatorguy; 11-10-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Closed Thread