Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 480 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2022, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This camera appears like it might be something of a step down from the KP in some regards.
Of course. It's a renamed K-70, functionally speaking. The only difference in specs is the screen having a handful more dots. An user wouldn't tell the difference (save for the menus and addition of new JPG profiles, probably) because there isn't one.

The most important thing about the KF is that it shows they did not really discontinue the K-70, so people who want a solid entry-level camera can still buy one. The disappointment lies more in Pentax saying they thought the entry level needed to still be supported, followed by what amounts to "... so they can still buy the one we already have (with a different name)".

They didn't release a new product. They cancelled the discontinuation of an already-existing one.

---------- Post added 11-11-22 at 12:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
To use another. I bought an HP Z-book Fury G8 17.3" laptop last year. Set me back $5,777.00 The equivalent G9 model is not even available in 17.3" screen and is selling for close to $9k now.
We live in interesting times.
Ouch. I assume high-end graphics cards?
I used one of the models with middle-tier GPU because they are the ones where nVidia isn't treating us like moneymaking machines... and scalpers aren't ruining the market. Desktop GPUs were selling at even 2.5x MSRP earlier this year here

11-11-2022, 02:10 AM - 4 Likes   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think my initial reaction was a bit knee jerk. I expected a new camera to be a new camera. There have been some tremendous points made in this thread about it being a refresh to an existing and very capable camera, after all I am sure each upgrade of Nikon's 3xxx series wasn't monumental and the looks hardly changed. I had fooled myself into believing Niche meant High End (understandable given the K3iii and the subsequent black and possibly mono versions) so I wasn't ready to accept a plastic fantastic. As for the name change, they could have gone with a ii, they did with the K3ii and that wasnt a mammoth upgrade but it was better received. I don't like the aesthetics of the K70 but its still a very good entry level unit. As for the solenoid, I am sure I read on here that it only affected early K70s. Ricoh won't trumpet the fact that they fixed it because that would mean they would finally be admitting there had been a problem! However, with the fixed solenoid we have a relatively bombproof 24mp APSC DSLR with ibis and weather resistance that will eventually retail for £650. I may not like how it looks but if I found myself suddenly cameraless and I couldn't find a used KP I would buy one and probably really enjoy using it.
11-11-2022, 02:30 AM   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
There's no technical reason to not offer video in detriment of photo. It's not like Leica, where they compromise video by using CCD sensors on purpose. Pentax uses the same Sony sensors used on multiple cameras, but seem to lack up-to-date hardware/software to process good quality video (even the 4K on K3-III is cropped, and it can't do 60fps). None of this has to impact ergonomics or anything else.
You really think the sensor is the only thing need for proper video ?
Seems very shortsighted to me.
11-11-2022, 02:32 AM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
These are not video cameras. It's 2022, every camera is a decent video camera. It has to be, to justify its price, when any smartphone and cheap Chinese action cam can do 4K 60 fps.
Who cares?
Anyone wanting video has moved a long time ago. They won't lure anyone back to Pentax with video. Even proper video which ask for a LOT of resources which is something you seem to be completely blind to.

11-11-2022, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You really think the sensor is the only thing need for proper video ?
Seems very shortsighted to me.
These days it mostly is. Any SoC available can handle off-the-shelf codecs without much issue. But I think that, if Pentax decided to not bother with anything beyond the barest of basics in the K-3iii, they won't do it with any other camera.

I personally don't care about video whatsoever, but a couple of my photographer friends would never buy a camera without somewhat competent video, because they use it from time to time and don't want a dedicated camera for it. If someone is even 95:5 stills:video, they straight up won't look at Pentax.
11-11-2022, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #381
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. As for the solenoid, I am sure I read on here that it only affected early K70s. Ricoh won't trumpet the fact that they fixed it because that would mean they would finally be admitting there had been a problem! However, with the fixed solenoid we have a relatively bombproof 24mp APSC DSLR with ibis and weather resistance that will eventually retail for £650.
My thoughts exactly.

Having a K3III I don't need a KF but it is still rather inexpensive for what it offers, and as a backup or one to take on dangerous outings it might be one that I consider. If Ricoh had to develop it from the ground up then it would cost a heck of a lot more than what it does now...and perhaps, as you say, the price will drop a little in a few months.

I had a KP but sold it as it was too close to the K3III in performance, but the gap between the latter and the new KF would be significantly big enough to consider one of each. I'm perhaps being somewhat unclear in my articulation but I think you all get the gist of what I'm trying to say. (And I'm an English teacher...dear me!)
11-11-2022, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #382
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Oh don't worry, this doesn't bother me - I joined this forum because I really like my Ricoh/Pentax cameras so I'm just surprised by the amount of moaning about, well, seems like everything*.
*I'm thinking of starting a "Pentax Positivity" thread.
You're still suprised ?
This kind of things has been going from the very beginning of this forum.

11-11-2022, 02:46 AM   #383
Unregistered User

You're still suprised ?
This kind of things has been going from the very beginning of this forum.
I haven't been here since the beginning of time, so yes, the past year has shown me just how much some people like to whinge.
11-11-2022, 02:46 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
These days it mostly is. Any SoC available can handle off-the-shelf codecs without much issue. But I think that, if Pentax decided to not bother with anything beyond the barest of basics in the K-3iii, they won't do it with any other camera.

I personally don't care about video whatsoever, but a couple of my photographer friends would never buy a camera without somewhat competent video, because they use it from time to time and don't want a dedicated camera for it. If someone is even 95:5 stills:video, they straight up won't look at Pentax.
You'd be surprised to see how many SOCs useable for a camera are available on the shelf.
It isn't all about a codec.

Just the codec is what Pentax does and you all moan about it.
11-11-2022, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
"F" for First. Your first Pentax K-mount camera.
Assumptions :
In KP, P was for "Plate"
In KF, F should be for '"Film" (video)
11-11-2022, 02:54 AM   #386
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
My thoughts exactly.

Having a K3III I don't need a KF but it is still rather inexpensive for what it offers, and as a backup or one to take on dangerous outings it might be one that I consider. If Ricoh had to develop it from the ground up then it would cost a heck of a lot more than what it does now...and perhaps, as you say, the price will drop a little in a few months.

I had a KP but sold it as it was too close to the K3III in performance, but the gap between the latter and the new KF would be significantly big enough to consider one of each. I'm perhaps being somewhat unclear in my articulation but I think you all get the gist of what I'm trying to say. (And I'm an English teacher...dear me!)
So - you had a KP, got a K3lll, felt they were too similar in performance so you got rid of the KP but would now consider a KF because the performance gap between it and the K3lll is greater than the one between the K3lll and the KP.
Is that it?
Yes, that makes total sense.
11-11-2022, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
So - you had a KP, got a K3lll, felt they were too similar in performance so you got rid of the KP but would now consider a KF because the performance gap between it and the K3lll is greater than the one between the K3lll and the KP.
Is that it?
Yes, that makes total sense.
Hehehe...I know!

I sold the KP to fund the K3III and didn't keep it because it was too close to the K3III and I like shiny new things...so maybe a shiny new KF might be a-comin' along one of these days! There's no logic in this hobby for some people!
11-11-2022, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #388
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"With friends like this, who needs enemies?"
11-11-2022, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just the codec is what Pentax does and you all moan about it.
I don't moan about the lack of video, if anything I moan about the K-1 not being able to use the stills-video lever for something actually useful instead of cursing when I inadvertently pull it into video mode . But then again, I'm the target demographic for the Pentax way of photography, dead center. Even my friends joke about it .

However, for other people who insist on making videos... it can be, and is, a dealbreaker. And with the way media works, the "stills only" niche is the smallest it's ever been, IMO.

Last edited by Serkevan; 11-11-2022 at 03:41 AM.
11-11-2022, 04:41 AM   #390
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Assumptions :
In KP, P was for "Plate"
In KF, F should be for '"Film" (video)
Ricoh Imaging have themselves given the answer: the F in KF is for Finder and Field.
Closed Thread