Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2022, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
. But to blame Pentax for not suddenly being able to develop a completely new camera is disingenuous.
Well, they had 6 years to plan that. I don't think "suddenly" is anywhere in the cards.

It's more likely that the K-70 was selling well enough for its tier and, frankly, there isn't much reason for it not to, it's very solid feature-wise. No need to really upgrade it noticeably.

Whether the KF has the same level of sales or not, we'll see in the future (if at all).

11-18-2022, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Well, they had 6 years to plan that. I don't think "suddenly" is anywhere in the cards
6 years to plan for a chip/semi shortage due to Covid ?

i don't think any company was that foresighted !
11-18-2022, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200d which was a good camera for the period, didn't even have a true prism. It was a mirror pyramid. Any prism would have been an improvement in that particular situation.
11-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It was a mirror pyramid. Any prism would have been an improvement in that particular situation.
Except for the (lack of) weight. I always appreciated the lightness of my K-x.

11-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Yeah, it's the exact same language used in previous cameras. Nothing to see here unless someone notices a diference in actual use.
I found the same, after I noticed the description that the OP refers to. Same, same – but just a tad different.
11-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #36
Pentaxian

The KF is actually the only possible continuation of the K70.

A very recent problem with lack of components gave them limited choice. Either discontinue the K70 with no replacement or do what they have done ....rebrand it the KF with new components.

You have no more idea than I do whether a completely new entry level camera is in the works or not. But to blame Pentax for not suddenly being able to develop a completely new camera is disingenuous.
When they first started to reveal the KF, we actually knew very little about it. Then it could have been something they had been working on for a while, something they had been working on “in parallel” to the K-3iii, something which was a natural ‘downgrade’ from the K-3iii, something as radical in its own way as the K-3iii is its own way. After all, the “accelerator” was first introduced in the K-70, then in the KP, then finally in flagship cameras. Don’t assume that the ‘good stuff’ has to be introduced in the flagships, and eventually trickle down to the lower tiers. In this case, now we have understanding which is different, but things were different just a week or so ago.

Last edited by reh321; 11-18-2022 at 02:37 PM.
11-18-2022, 02:30 PM - 3 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K(s)evin Quote
I'll bet that @sandyhancock has preordered!
You would lose that bet

11-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
6 years to plan for a chip/semi shortage due to Covid ?

i don't think any company was that foresighted !
No, six years to plan for a camera.

The chip shortage has been heavily alleviated by now - everyone is releasing chip-based things again. Nikon just came out with an APS-C entry-level camera. Canon made two APS-C models this year, so on and so forth.
11-18-2022, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The K200d which was a good camera for the period, didn't even have a true prism. It was a mirror pyramid. Any prism would have been an improvement in that particular situation.
Except for the (lack of) weight. I always appreciated the lightness of my K-x.
K-x 580 g with lithium batteries and penta-mirror
K-S1 558 g with D-LI109 and penta-prism (and larger display)
11-18-2022, 11:33 PM   #40
Pentaxian

The camera has a viewfinder. It is not a cheap mirror prism, but a glass prism. I think this applies to K70 and KF. The fact is worth telling the world. Pentax should be known for great viewfinders! Is K70 different form KF? Try. Pentax probably sat down a year ago, looking at supply chain crisis, discussing what products they can somehow update to show activity and have a reason for price increase. 100macro and KF surfaced. Get the K70, hold on to your K1, fall in love with K3iii, product releases are difficult stories these days.
11-19-2022, 02:17 AM - 5 Likes   #41
JPT
Pentaxian

I haven't seen any mention of an improved viewfinder in the Japanese material describing this camera. I think it is just the same as the K-70.

In my opinion the KF only makes sense for a few types of user - newcomers to Pentax, as the cheapest entry point into the mount. Otherwise for someone upgrading from an older model, perhaps because it has been damaged. For people who already have recent body, I don't think it makes sense with one exception. If you like the blue or white models, you could really like the KF for that. I saw them in the Pentax Clubhouse today and they look really nice in reality. In particular, I like the blue one a lot. The finish is really lustrous - not subtle, but pretty.

It's interesting that they are still showing the Pentax Clubhouse edition K-70. They previously stated that this will be produced in limited quantities, so I can only imagine that it will turn out to be a KF.

Kimio Tanaka said that this was not developed as a successor to the K-70. It was basically an unplanned thing they had to do. I don't know if that implies that there will be another APS-C camera that is a worthy successor, but anyway that's what one Pentax insider said. He was also puzzled by the naming but suggested it might be because K-90 would imply a true successor.

For people who want to upgrade to something with a K-3 III sensor and don't want to wait, the answer's in the question. The K-3 III is available now. It's a great camera and worth the money if you need the features. If you don't have that much to spend, I guess you have to wait, because the KF is not the answer. I think the K-3 III is old enough to be part of Black Friday deals this year. Perhaps there will be some good offers.
11-19-2022, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I haven't seen any mention of an improved viewfinder in the Japanese material describing this camera. I think it is just the same as the K-70.

In my opinion the KF only makes sense for a few types of user - newcomers to Pentax, as the cheapest entry point into the mount. Otherwise for someone upgrading from an older model, perhaps because it has been damaged. For people who already have recent body, I don't think it makes sense with one exception. If you like the blue or white models, you could really like the KF for that. I saw them in the Pentax Clubhouse today and they look really nice in reality. In particular, I like the blue one a lot. The finish is really lustrous - not subtle, but pretty.

It's interesting that they are still showing the Pentax Clubhouse edition K-70. They previously stated that this will be produced in limited quantities, so I can only imagine that it will turn out to be a KF.

Kimio Tanaka said that this was not developed as a successor to the K-70. It was basically an unplanned thing they had to do. I don't know if that implies that there will be another APS-C camera that is a worthy successor, but anyway that's what one Pentax insider said. He was also puzzled by the naming but suggested it might be because K-90 would imply a true successor.

For people who want to upgrade to something with a K-3 III sensor and don't want to wait, the answer's in the question. The K-3 III is available now. It's a great camera and worth the money if you need the features. If you don't have that much to spend, I guess you have to wait, because the KF is not the answer. I think the K-3 III is old enough to be part of Black Friday deals this year. Perhaps there will be some good offers.
I really think the KF is a stop gap till they can finish whatever work they are doing on the K-1 II sequel. They had enough parts that needed to be resourced and probably the cost of the camera was going to climb some as a result and so they decided to rename it.

It is hard for people to understand a significant bump in price on an existing camera if the exterior looks exactly the same and the name is the same. Reliability of the KF will probably be better than early K-70 models. Otherwise, I doubt there is a significant difference in functionality.
11-19-2022, 05:57 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

People seem to be continually looking for excuses to spend money on Pentax. I already have a KP, a blue K-30, and zero interest in purchasing a K-3iii, so apparently I have no reason to purchase a KF. Thank you for reassuring my wallet - I really don’t feel any great desire to send money to Pentax “just because”.

I can wait.

Last edited by reh321; 11-19-2022 at 06:13 AM.
11-19-2022, 07:37 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The camera has a viewfinder. It is not a cheap mirror prism, but a glass prism. I think this applies to K70 and KF. The fact is worth telling the world. Pentax should be known for great viewfinders! Is K70 different form KF? Try. Pentax probably sat down a year ago, looking at supply chain crisis, discussing what products they can somehow update to show activity and have a reason for price increase. 100macro and KF surfaced. Get the K70, hold on to your K1, fall in love with K3iii, product releases are difficult stories these days.
The K-3iii and K-1ii are much ‘above’ what I want to acquire …… they’ll have to aim ‘lower’ if they want any more of my money.
11-19-2022, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

This is and was my speculation on the K"letter" models. A K letter was used before with the Ks lines between the 50-70. The Ks was used to try out new features and concepts such as the selfie mode, LED lighting, swivel screen, smallest wr dslr in the s-2.

I think it was more valuable for both tech and market research than in profits. It also gave the production line something to produce and work out kinks that the new concepts might have during manufacturing.

Many of us love our Ks-1's and 2's. I think in 6 years many will still love their KF's.

I also think this means a K90 is coming around the corner as soon as this model shows what innovations are wanted or not and what is cost effective to use and not.