Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 113 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #61
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 11-23-22 at 06:04 PM -------

[/COLOR]
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you want a K-3 III performance, you'll need to pay for it. There was absolutely no way that the KF was going to have all of the features of the K-3 III for an 800 dollar price. It wouldn't make sense for Pentax to do that, even if they weren't going to lose money on the cameras with that sort of pricing.

Overall, camera pricing is moving higher. Inflation, plus fewer overall sales (not just for Pentax) combine to make it so that prices have generally climbed.

Still, the viewfinder is very nice (I think that was the subject of this thread) and it will be a very capable camera, even if it doesn't have K-3 III speed of function or auto focus capability.
True that. I still hope that the trickling of developments goes next to a K-1III with the new AF. If the viewfinder tech would be adapted too, it probably would be in the cropped 645 range, but also pricewise.
And next my hopes go to a KPII, with the AF and maybe viewfinder of K-3III but the body and speed just this level below as the original K-3 KP difference. But who knows.
The KF might have also freed some capacity from not being bound in the development of such an entry level body.

11-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a K-3 III performance, you'll need to pay for it. There was absolutely no way that the KF was going to have all of the features of the K-3 III for an 800 dollar price. It wouldn't make sense for Pentax to do that, even if they weren't going to lose money on the cameras with that sort of pricing.

Overall, camera pricing is moving higher. Inflation, plus fewer overall sales (not just for Pentax) combine to make it so that prices have generally climbed.

Still, the viewfinder is very nice (I think that was the subject of this thread) and it will be a very capable camera, even if it doesn't have K-3 III speed of function or auto focus capability.
I never said I wanted K-3iii performance for $800, nor did I see your replying to anyone else who did. I was just hoping for the new processor and data path for $1000, but apparently I’ll just have to wait and wait ….. see if I can still use a camera when the K-70’s real replacement comes out, and whether I think it’s worth to me what it costs. Apparently, Pentax has finally solved the K-n0’s solenoid issues, so I have no need of improved build-quality and other things the KP brought to the table. Meanwhile, it was a lovely day here yesterday, so I used my KP without having to send any more money to Pentax.

Last edited by reh321; 11-23-2022 at 09:11 AM.
11-23-2022, 09:54 AM - 11 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I never said I wanted K-3iii performance for $800, nor did I see your replying to anyone else who did. I was just hoping for the new processor and data path for $1000, but apparently I’ll just have to wait and wait ….. see if I can still use a camera when the K-70’s real replacement comes out, and whether I think it’s worth to me what it costs. Apparently, Pentax has finally solved the K-n0’s solenoid issues, so I have no need of improved build-quality and other things the KP brought to the table. Meanwhile, it was a lovely day here yesterday, so I used my KP without having to send any more money to Pentax.
Over several threads you have pretty much beaten the forum to death with your wishes.
Please stop now.
11-23-2022, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I really wasn't speaking to you personally. I think you've been clear on what you want and I think you'd best stick with the KP.

Generally speaking, Pentaxians want more camera for less money and are always coming up with schemes where by Pentax would leave off the features they don't need/want (live view, video, etc) in order to release a camera that would be in their price range.

11-23-2022, 10:40 AM   #65
Pentaxian

I really wasn't speaking to you personally. I think you've been clear on what you want and I think you'd best stick with the KP
I was hoping that the KF would be lighter and has faster processing.
11-23-2022, 11:25 AM - 6 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

^ I think you've been clear on what you hoped too.
11-23-2022, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I think it needs looking into

I see your point

11-23-2022, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And that is why I say "alleviated" instead of "solved"
The point stands - others are releasing products, even if stock is low and they need some time to fulfill orders.
Going back to the AV comparison, one vendor which is owned by Samsung is able to procure ICs from Samsung, which has it's own manufacturing facilities, while companies that are dependent on other IC vendors have lead times well into next year or are unable to provide any ETA at all. So depending on where the components are coming from, you may not be able to complete the assembly of your products at all. Big companies, especially those which have their own chip fabrication, will give priority to their own products. If you are a small company without your own chip fabrication, you'll be at a significant disadvantage.
PS One of the companies with very long lead times is Cisco - not a small player in the network market.
11-25-2022, 06:13 PM - 3 Likes   #69
JPT
Pentaxian

The KF went on sale yesterday and there are a couple of reports with samples on the camera from Japanese retailers.

Map Camera
820: ?????????????PENTAX KF? ?????? | KASYAPA

Yaotomi Camera (Using the KYUSHU profile)
?????? PENTAX KF with ????????"??" ? ?? ?? ????????????? 2022 - ????
11-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I think you've been clear on what you hoped too.
Well, @Reh321 got a clear-view for what he wants and what not and thus is in a way a "Clear-View-Viewfinder"

Ricoh Japan now no longer names the viewfinder with pentaprism "clear-view-viewfinder" but just
Optical viewfinder featuring a glass pentaprism, and providing a 100% field of view and 0.95-times magnification
All details of the new KF are listed there.

IMO this is well done and aside of all the critics (which were totally absent when they introduced the K50 after the K30 which were literally 99,9% the same, the ONLY difference optical design of the housing, the K30 being a bit more sporty, the K50 more Canon-like) I think it will be a very nice DSLR which still will have hardly any competition in it's price range.
I myself don't see any reason to sell my KP for it (nor for the K3III but here because I hardly do fast moving objects)

I still think a successor to the K5IIs (same body but features of the K3III) would have been it... maybe with the LCD of the KF.... but that's just my wishfull thinking. With the new generation solenoid I even would have accepted a K5-IIIs with solenoid instead of steppermotor.
But I'm dreaming.....
11-26-2022, 03:42 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
(...) all the critics (which were totally absent when they introduced the K50 after the K30 which were literally 99,9% the same, the ONLY difference optical design of the housing, the K30 being a bit more sporty, the K50 more Canon-like) (...)
As I wrote before in response to almost the same remark then made by @Rondec
One of the differences being that the K-r was launched 12 months after the K-r and the K-50 13 months after the K-30, whereas this KF is launched six and a half years after the K-70.
11-26-2022, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I wrote before in response to almost the same remark then made by @Rondec:
One of the differences being that the K-r was launched 12 months after the K-r
The K-50 13 months after the K-30, whereas this KF is launched six and a half years after the K-70.
And so what?

What counts is the real quality and how it competes against competition.

In that respect the KF will still stand its ground.

I think that particular in our modern high-speed-world slowing-down + patience brings much more joy than this urgend need or "must-have" of the utmost new gadget.

Recently for a week I drove the utmost modern car with electronics and all sorts of gadgets.
It was interesting, I felt in a modern space-ship.

But twice this car produced an emergency-breaking when absolutly not needed. The shock was of course instant... I cursed.

I am fine with innovations such as cruise control but I prefer to be the master, not some electronics.
I know, in USA most drive automatic gear, in Europe and particular in the mountains you don't want and need that.

I was happy when I could drive my own car again.
11-26-2022, 04:34 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I wrote before in response to almost the same remark then made by @Rondec
I don't disagree with you. I just think that if this was a higher level camera, the price would have jumped more. The release price of the K70 6 years ago was 650 dollars. Simply adjusting that for inflation you come up with 807 dollars.

The issue mostly has to do with the fact that people wanted more changes given the length of time since the K-70's release. I would have liked to see them too. I just don't see naming conventions (or lack thereof) as a thing to get bent out of shape over. But I wasn't ever particularly considering this camera. I own a K-3 III already and there wasn't anything Pentax could put in this camera that would upstage that from an APS-C standpoint.

I'm waiting on the K-1 II sequel and hope we see it some time next year.
11-26-2022, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
And so what?
(...)
And so people had more expectations concerning the KF as a successor to the 6½-year old K-70 than they had concerning the K-50 as a successor to the one-year old K-30.

I have no horse in this race, being no more interested in the KF than in the K-70 (both being fine cameras though) but the problem, as I see it, is the KF naming suggesting more improvements than a new LCD screen, a USB-C charger (not a USB-C camera connector, mind you), three additional custom image modes and two special edition custom image modes.

Panasonic and Sony were more 'low profile', the former in renaming their Lumix DC-G99, DC-TX2 and DC-TC95 as Lumix DC-G99D, DC-TX2D and DC-TZ95D respectively and the latter in keeping the same commercial name and just adding an A at the end of the model name:
  • Alpha 7R III (ILCE-7RM3) --> Alpha 7R III (ILCE-7RM3A)
  • Alpha 7R IV (ILCE-7RM4) --> Alpha 7R IV (ILCE-7RM4A)

when they did just that: change the rear LCD.
11-26-2022, 05:39 AM - 4 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

To be perfectly clear: had the KF been named K-70 Super instead (I'm resurrecting an old Pentax naming scheme there), everything else, launch price included, being as it is, I wouldn't have had any reservation whatsoever concerning this camera.