Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Please can you tell us in which part of the menu the function appears on K-3III ?
Camera menu>1> 4th item in the list.

---------- Post added 12-06-22 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
what does this mean?

"Added [AF Point for H/V Comp] for AF with viewfinder shooting and AF with live-view shooting. The reference position and movement position of the focus point can be maintained for each of the vertical and horizontal compositions".
You can pre-set the focus location for both landscape and portrait orientation. For example, say you're shooting a subject and the best composition would be place subject to left side of the frame and you want to take both landscape and portrait orientation photos of the subject but don't want to risk focus and recompose (shooting at F/1.4 here). You can set the focus point in the menu to individual for horizontal and vertical orientation, then set the location of the focus point towards the left side of the frame for both. Now when rotating the camera from landscape to portrait orientation, you can have the focus point at the exact same location for both orientations, this way you can just concentrate on shooting without having to constantly change the AF point every time you rotate the camera. You can also set each point to be different depending on orientation of the camera. So, say you're shooting a portait and you're in landscape orientation and the frame looks great with the subject on the right side due to the scene, but in portrait orientation it looks better with the subject just off center to the left, you can set the focus points to both locations so when you rotate the camera, the focus point will just go to where you've told it to go, so, again, you can just focus on the shooting part without having to keep changing the focus point all the time.

Last edited by Kobie; 12-06-2022 at 01:37 PM.
12-08-2022, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Thanks Kobie, and congrats for your videos
12-11-2022, 09:37 AM - 4 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The biggest thing I realized with 1.70 is that I can crank up exposure times compared to before. Normally 1/4 on telephoto was out of my reach, 1sec with 20-40 too, yet now long shutterspeeds ar not a problem. Still not on Olympus level of IS, but very good and helped me a lot when shooting in museums taking funny poses to frame what I want

So either Pentax did something to stabilization software other then panning mode, or I drunk enough lately and my hands stopped to shake

I am now kinda impressed with K-3 Mk III. I mean it was always cool camera, but from 1.7 it is somehow more impressing. It is as if it became camera I expected to have when I bought it.
12-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Thanks Kobie, and congrats for your videos
You're welcome, and thank you

---------- Post added 12-11-22 at 05:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
The biggest thing I realized with 1.70 is that I can crank up exposure times compared to before. Normally 1/4 on telephoto was out of my reach, 1sec with 20-40 too, yet now long shutterspeeds ar not a problem. Still not on Olympus level of IS, but very good and helped me a lot when shooting in museums taking funny poses to frame what I want

So either Pentax did something to stabilization software other then panning mode, or I drunk enough lately and my hands stopped to shake

I am now kinda impressed with K-3 Mk III. I mean it was always cool camera, but from 1.7 it is somehow more impressing. It is as if it became camera I expected to have when I bought it.
My thoughts exactly on your last sentence.

12-28-2022, 01:13 PM   #35
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1 firmware update news yet?

Any update on the release of the graduated neutral density filter option outside of Japan? Any reviews since the initial announcement?
12-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #36

Hi guys, new Pentax K1 user here. I updated to the latest firmware, and put my DFA 21mm limited lens on, but it does not seem to be recognized for the purpose of using Katen. I do see the focus limiter (though grayed out) as well as the Grad ND simulator option. Am I doing something wrong? What am I missing?
12-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrimlyFiendish Quote
Hi guys, new Pentax K1 user here. I updated to the latest firmware, and put my DFA 21mm limited lens on, but it does not seem to be recognized for the purpose of using Katen. I do see the focus limiter (though grayed out) as well as the Grad ND simulator option. Am I doing something wrong? What am I missing?
I’m unclear how these work. New function-expansion firmware for PENTAX K-1, K-1 Mark II and K-3 Mark III cameras?RICOH IMAGING Do they work only in certain seasons? I assume not… but it’s not very clearly stated.

12-30-2022, 12:33 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GrimlyFiendish Quote
It shows on the bottom of your color profiles. Should be last one. Turn camera off, strap fitting lens, turn on and it should be there.
12-30-2022, 06:27 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It shows on the bottom of your color profiles. Should be last one. Turn camera off, strap fitting lens, turn on and it should be there.
Does that mean if you have the DFA 21 you can turn the camera on with it mounted then swap lenses while it is still on and use the filters with other lenses?

-Eric
12-30-2022, 07:19 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, I do not know I just always swap lenses with camera off to minimize chance of getting dust on sensor.

And I thought that there may be some sort of lens-body communication issue if color profile is not showing after connecting proper lens.
12-30-2022, 07:46 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Does that mean if you have the DFA 21 you can turn the camera on with it mounted then swap lenses while it is still on and use the filters with other lenses?

-Eric
Interesting question. That's one of the very few new Pentax lenses I don't own so I'll leave it for you to test.
12-30-2022, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #42

I'm not sure what you mean by "color profile", since I'm following the users manual and that term does not appear as such in it. If you mean the digital filter, Katen is not in there. I also looked at the function to apply the digital filter on a photo already taken, and it's not in there either. I went through the menus with a fine tooth comb and I'm still stumped.

---------- Post added 12-30-22 at 08:14 AM ----------

Nevermind, just found it. :-)