Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2022, 08:28 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New firmware for K-1 and K-3 Mark III

New firmware for K-1, and K-1 Mark II (v 2.10) and for K-3 Mark III (v 1.70) is now available at the Ricoh site, Support | RICOH IMAGING

Cheers,
Terry

11-30-2022, 08:59 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now we need some software drive focus stacking fto go with the new HD Pentax-D FA 100mm f2.8 macro lens!!!

Regards

Chris
11-30-2022, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus limiter in software for the new 100 macro. Interesting. I’m curious how this is exposed in the UI.
11-30-2022, 09:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Focus limiter in software for the new 100 macro. Interesting. I’m curious how this is exposed in the UI.
\

Interesting, I think this was one of my wish list items, pity it is only for the one new lens, but a start.

12-01-2022, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm curious about that, too... and why only the 100 Macro...
Pentax has encoded focus distance in the lens data since the F lenses in the 1980s, so they could do it for presumably every autofocus lens (except the 35-70 f2.8 )

That might be a cool feature on some longer lenses, too, not just macros...

-Eric
12-01-2022, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I'm curious about that, too... and why only the 100 Macro...
Pentax has encoded focus distance in the lens data since the F lenses in the 1980s, so they could do it for presumably every autofocus lens (except the 35-70 f2.8 )

That might be a cool feature on some longer lenses, too, not just macros...

-Eric
They had to test with one IMO.
As for the rest which is completely right, it depends how precise the distance is encoded.
But in theory, this should be doable, indeed.
12-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
and why only the 100 Macro...
I suppose this is again a not-so-subtle incentive to upgrade to the latest version of the lens, in a very similar fashion to the customised color profiles for select HD Limited lenses.
That makes sense commercially, sweetening the deal on the renewed higher-tier lenses.
From a technical point of view... not so much but what do I know ?

12-01-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good. Hope that feature to display the FUYUNO menu screen is a selectable feature. It might be a pain if it comes up every time a lens is switched although I assume it will disappear as soon as the shutter button is pressed half-way or some such thing. I too, would like to see some focus stacking ("focus bracketing") features offered in the future. Several cameras have incorporated this feature in newer models. Kudos to Ricoh.
12-01-2022, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
sbc
Pentaxian

I am happy that there is a new firmware but sad that focus limiter does not work with the older 100mm macro WR. I just bought my lens not too long ago so it is Illogical to replace it so soon.
12-01-2022, 11:30 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

what does this mean?

"Added [AF Point for H/V Comp] for AF with viewfinder shooting and AF with live-view shooting. The reference position and movement position of the focus point can be maintained for each of the vertical and horizontal compositions".
12-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbc Quote
(...) focus limiter does not work with the older 100mm macro WR. (..?)
Nudge marketing.

Same as the use of Special Edition custom profiles being limited (pun intended) to some lenses.
12-01-2022, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

@FozzFoster: you can "store" more or less a special position of your AF Point.

As an example: when you often make a portrait in... portrait (vertical) mode :-) you can push the leveler and the AF point will move instantly to the "upper" position where the eye or face is.

When you flip the camera horizontal again the AF point will be in a different stored location.
12-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If it doesn't work with the previous versions, it probably means the new versions has a different lens ID.
Should be fairly simple to check EXIF values.
12-01-2022, 01:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Should be fairly simple to check EXIF values.
exiftool -n reports both lenses as

Lens ID : 7 58

-n means it doesn't interpret the name and just prints the number it reads. I chose this to avoid the issue of the lens not yet being added to the lookup table for Pentax Maker Notes.

So it seems Pentax either have other means of detecting the lens or the focus limiter will work on the DFA100WR as well. It would be quite strange if Pentax decided to keep the same lens name for both lenses. They demonstrably have different performance so will need different lens profiles.
12-01-2022, 01:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
exiftool -n reports both lenses as

Lens ID : 7 58

-n means it doesn't interpret the name and just prints the number it reads. I chose this to avoid the issue of the lens not yet being added to the lookup table for Pentax Maker Notes.

So it seems Pentax either have other means of detecting the lens or the focus limiter will work on the DFA100WR as well. It would be quite strange if Pentax decided to keep the same lens name for both lenses. They demonstrably have different performance so will need different lens profiles.
Indeed. This points to other ways to ID a lens which is IMO very very interesting prospect IMO