Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2022, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #16
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If it doesn't work with the previous versions, it probably means the new versions has a different lens ID.
Should be fairly simple to check EXIF values.
Just confirmed that neither my K1 or K3iii recognize the function with my 100mm SMC D-FA 100 Macro - the option is greyed out on both bodies with the latest firmware.

12-02-2022, 01:04 AM   #17

How does focus limiting work on the older lenses? Isn't a switch on the lens? So to work from a signal from the camera body the firmware in the lens needs to recognize that signal. If the recognition subroutines are not there in the first place the lens won't know when the camera is telling it to enable focus limiting. If the camera body doesn't get the focus limiting handshake protocol from the lens then the options will be greyed out on the camera menu.

I don't recall Pentax (Ricoh or Hoya) updating lens firmware. I suppose you can hack the lens firmware but somehow you would have to shoe-horn in the new routines.
12-02-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How does focus limiting work on the older lenses?
Mostly mechanical on older lenses. Newer lenses have an electrical switch, but it is still handled by the lens.
12-02-2022, 05:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Just confirmed that neither my K1 or K3iii recognize the function with my 100mm SMC D-FA 100 Macro - the option is greyed out on both bodies with the latest firmware.
Yep, here too.
K1 with FA 100/2.8

12-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt this affects many, but firmware v2.00 and v2.10 are labeled as unable to "restore back to version 2.00 or earlier" after update, on the ricoh-imaging.co.jp firmware page. In case you move between firmware versions for any reason.

12-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #21
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wish they would have added the focus limiter function also for the smc DFA 100/2.8 makro!
... and also would have added the [AF Point for H/V Comp], [Select (XS)], and [1.7x] crop for K-1 and K-1II.

Please Ricoh don't be so petty, it's christmas and the K-1 is the flagship for portraitshooting with the DFA*85/1.4 ... the [AF Point for H/V Comp] and [Select (XS)] should find it's professional partner... really!
12-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Wish they would have added the focus limiter function also for the smc DFA 100/2.8 makro!
... and also would have added the [AF Point for H/V Comp], [Select (XS)], and [1.7x] crop for K-1 and K-1II.

Please Ricoh don't be so petty, it's christmas and the K-1 is the flagship for portraitshooting with the DFA*85/1.4 ... the [AF Point for H/V Comp] and [Select (XS)] should find it's professional partner... really!
The K-1 and K-1II probably don't have the computing power for those features. Otherwise they would probably have included those for the full frame cameras.

12-02-2022, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

It does work

I've just downloaded and updated the firmware on my K1 MkII and can confirm the Focus Limiter shows in the Settings menu and it does work with the HD PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8ED AW - I can see the benefits when you are shooting in a particular way (i.e. macro) as the long focus hunt when it doesn't lock on is frustrating, but I can see it being a bit annoying if you have left it on and then need it quickly for longer shooting. Flipping it back via the menu isn't that quick. But then again at least there is now the option.

I understand the frustration for users with the other version of this fine lens but I suppose Ricoh have to try to encourage more sales and this is one way they can. This firmware update doesn't leave us with anything less than we already had, so we shouldn't be too disappointed
12-02-2022, 07:15 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
I've just downloaded and updated the firmware on my K1 MkII and can confirm the Focus Limiter shows in the Settings menu and it does work with the HD PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8ED AW - I can see the benefits when you are shooting in a particular way (i.e. macro) as the long focus hunt when it doesn't lock on is frustrating, but I can see it being a bit annoying if you have left it on and then need it quickly for longer shooting. Flipping it back via the menu isn't that quick. But then again at least there is now the option.

I understand the frustration for users with the other version of this fine lens but I suppose Ricoh have to try to encourage more sales and this is one way they can. This firmware update doesn't leave us with anything less than we already had, so we shouldn't be too disappointed
Is it possible to assign this to toggle via one of the buttons?
12-03-2022, 01:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In fact, potentially, they could even make money on 3rd party lenses properly EXIF IDed).

You know that Tamron 90/2.8 you purchased from those guys ? We can add function to this lenses for a couple dollars.

I probably would.
12-03-2022, 03:46 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

Personally, I would make a "macro user mode" which turned this setting on and then switch off of it when I was done -- that is I would if I was someone who shot a lot of macro and owned this lens. That seems like the easiest way to make certain that the setting isn't stuck on the next time you go shooting.

When I shoot landscape, I am typically shooting f9 iso 100 and pixel shift. It annoys my wife no end if she picks up the camera and these settings are on, but by using a user mode, I can quickly get to them and then be off of them again the moment I put the camera down by switching the mode dial back to Av or P.
12-04-2022, 02:27 AM   #27

Ah found it in menu [camera 6]. Its also greyed out for my smc DFA 100mm 2.8 WR

And yes upon closer study the new HD version is different on more points than just the coating.

Even so, the focus distance of all lenses must be transmitted to the camera because it is in the EXIF information. So in my opinion this feature should be able to work on all lenses.

Hope that Pentax remains honest to its backward compatibilty of lenses and will expand the lens list to more lenses.
12-04-2022, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John the Third Quote
Ah found it in menu [camera 6]. Its also greyed out for my smc DFA 100mm 2.8 WR

And yes upon closer study the new HD version is different on more points than just the coating.

Even so, the focus distance of all lenses must be transmitted to the camera because it is in the EXIF information. So in my opinion this feature should be able to work on all lenses.

Hope that Pentax remains honest to its backward compatibilty of lenses and will expand the lens list to more lenses.
The granularity of focus distance info may have changed.
12-04-2022, 09:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The granularity of focus distance info may have changed.
The exif distances aren't very accurate in the DAltd's at least. My DA15 was very sloppy. I examined that data ages ago when I was wondering if my copy was faulty. Still you should be able to exclude macro or infinity from the focussing range.

You might need more back and forth communication than old KAF's allow though. I have no idea if the camera can continously read the focus range from old lenses.
12-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Please can you tell us in which part of the menu the function appears on K-3III ?