Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 210 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ricoh CFO: "The time has come for us to choose which businesses to choose,"

Ok, the source does not seem optimal, and the article I post here is assuming a lot out of the official Ricoh statement, but today I encountered the following article quoting the Ricoh CFO, where it makes sense that Ricoh will clean up their activities but obviously not yet clear which and how.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/is-ricoh-about-to-leave-the-camera-industry

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh has some 30 businesses under its umbrella, and financial performance is such that, "The time has come for us to choose which businesses to choose," according to chief financial officer, Shun Kawaguchi.

12-02-2022, 10:04 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I.. doubt it. I mean new-old boss has come to Pentax so I doubt he would choose a dying business unless he is leaving altogether and wanted to say goodby to Ricoh Imagining in this way.

If it is true (most likely is) I think the main point will be smaller document-related parts of Ricoh as paper is moving into cloud (hence digital service plans).

BUT even if Pentax is abandoned K-3 Mk III will last me for long time and no more Pentax lenses will save me a lot of money So while I would not be happy, I can keep using DSLR for years to come.
12-02-2022, 10:31 AM - 5 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I lost count to those "OMG! Everybody, panic! Pentax is dying, this time for real!!!111oneoneone" tabloid articles...
12-02-2022, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #4

LOL, I hope Godox buys Pentax from Ricoh.

12-02-2022, 10:42 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also posted this just a bit later. Lol. I found it lacking in much detail and very negative in its thinking as it seemed to be mirrorless biased. However it was the first time I had heard that Ricoh was reevaluating what businesses it might keep. Any time this type of rethinking of corporate focus occurs there are chances that some businesses that are associated with the company may be spun out or otherwise changed. That, more than anything else, gives me a bit of concern.

Even if Ricoh did totally shutter operations I’d be set to use my gear for a long time.
12-02-2022, 10:45 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lame clickbait. Won't do it.
12-02-2022, 10:46 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is Doomed!!

Pentax is Doomed!!

12-02-2022, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Lame clickbait. Won't do it.
That’s actually what I labeled it in my thread. I agree with the assessment but this was my first exposure to the fact that Ricoh was reevaluating the business composition and that one fact was interesting to me.
12-02-2022, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thix2112 Quote
Pentax is Doomed!!
Not possible. Chris of DPReview recently rescued Pentax by plugging a Pentax KF into an USB battery and OVF hood massage.
12-02-2022, 11:00 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This information in this article seems a little dated. The referenced reevaluation process was stated to begin in April 2021. I guess there is always room for more speculation.
12-02-2022, 11:14 AM - 8 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"The time has come," the Walrus said.
"To talk of many things.
"Of shoes -- and ships -- and sealing wax --
Of cabbages -- and kings --
And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings."

And whether Ricoh lives another day
or shrinks and simply falls away.

Last edited by Rondec; 12-02-2022 at 12:46 PM.
12-02-2022, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As best I can tell, the information comes from an article dated October 27, 2022 in Newswitch. Here's the Google translated text:

“Time to select businesses”, financial indicators that Ricoh emphasizes

Ricoh, which is shifting from a multifunction machine to a digital service company against the backdrop of the rapid progress of paperless, will introduce an in-house company system in April 2021 and emphasize return on invested capital (ROIC). In addition to profitability and investment efficiency based on ROIC, the business portfolio will be evaluated from three perspectives: market position and suitability for digital services. Shun Kawaguchi, a corporate executive officer and chief financial officer (CFO), said, "The time has come for us to choose which businesses to choose."

Ricoh aims to achieve an ROIC of over 8% in fiscal 2025. There are about 30 businesses, and some of them are moving toward the sale or withdrawal. About a year and a half after the introduction of the in-house company system, Mr. Kawaguchi says that by giving authority to the heads of each company, "decision-making has become faster." ROIC is just an indicator of efficiency, and the most important factor is return on equity (ROE). Aim to achieve over 10% in FY2013.
In order to achieve ROE, ROIC is divided into key measures for each business unit and key performance indicators (KPI). This management method was introduced in earnest in fiscal 2010. Rather than simply chasing numbers, "After clarifying what is not being done, pursue efficiency and implement measures to achieve results" (Mr. Kawaguchi).

Regarding share buybacks, the basic stance is not to improve ROE, but to realize an optimal capital structure with net assets of approximately 1 trillion yen and a shareholder return policy of a total return ratio of 50% in fiscal 2025. However, the most recent 30 billion yen buyback of shares since May 2022 was made in consideration of exchange rate adjustments due to the ongoing depreciation of the yen.

In addition, we use methods that are in line with sustainability (sustainability) for fundraising. Using sustainability-linked loans (SLLs), which offer preferential interest rates depending on the achievement of goals, and loans that evaluate and implement initiatives for environmental issues, "will create good pressure," says Kawaguchi.

Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun October 27, 2022
12-02-2022, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't find it, but I thought that Ricoh hinted that they were willing to sell the camera business. I'm thinking that was last year, and maybe I just read that into something.
12-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
So while I would not be happy, I can keep using DSLR for years to come.
Until you cannot, which is my [sorta] current quandary. I can use my K-1 (which I love!) but the camera will not turn off. So technically it still works, but not without the frequent hassle of removing the battery to turn off camera. (I won't recount those woes here...see thread from last December if you're interested.) It makes it awfully hard to spend more money to buy new Pentax gear when the viability of the brand is in question. I even couldn't bring myself to buy a used K-1 in the PF Marketplace last week. The time will come for practically everyone when their camera won't work they way they want it to perform. Those "years to come" do come to an end at some point.

Last edited by EssJayEff; 12-02-2022 at 01:33 PM. Reason: typo
12-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I also posted this just a bit later. Lol. I found it lacking in much detail and very negative in its thinking as it seemed to be mirrorless biased. However it was the first time I had heard that Ricoh was reevaluating what businesses it might keep.
It isn't the first time, though - some years ago, when Ricoh had to take serious steps to prevent a collapse - through their Resurgent restructuring program - they were saying things like "no sacred cow" and "leave no stone unturned".
Closed Thread