Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2022, 05:29 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DXO now supporting the DA*16-50

DxO Offers More Than 1,700 New Optics Modules and FOV Enhancements for PhotoLab 6.1 | Fstoppers

Excellent software DXO, I am glad to see the Pentax support.

12-09-2022, 05:34 AM   #2
Unregistered User

I updated to 6.1 a couple of days ago but there is a bug in it when viewing RAW files (it shows the embedded JPG) with the Windows edition. This has been reported, so in the meantime I removed 6.1 and went back to 6 until they have sorted it
12-09-2022, 07:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DXO PhotoLab is excellent processing software. I have been using PhotoLab since it was first released and up until version 6. I have purchased every release but with the release of version 6 I decided to give updating a pass based on the minimal benefit I was seeing after trialing Version 6.

My problem right now is there is no lens module for the Pentax HD DA 1.4 Teleconverter so I have to edit the EXIF Maker Notes in EXIFTools to show that there is no TC attached. This is turning out to be a challenge since I have forgotten what exactly I did the last time I had to edit Maker Maker Notes to force DXO to allow me to use the full capabilities of PhotoLab to process images taken with the 55-300 PLM.
12-09-2022, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Module doesn't work for me

I'v downloaded the new module for the Pentax HD DA* 16-50mm PLM AW and I'm using DXO Elite version 6.1. Something is not working in this combination. The Lens Sharpness is not showed or corrected. I only have Unsharp Mask as if the lens is not supported.
I've not tried it in combination with DXO ver. 6.0.
Maybe others have similar experiences?

12-09-2022, 12:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Can it be related to the bug mentioned a few posts above ? I am unable to use the software on almost any file taken with Pentax cameras (the Fuji XF10 works fine), basically some adjustments are not shown in the editing interface, such as WB, distortion correction...
The "auto" settings are also completely off, like DeepPrime defaults to 0 when left to auto. I'm afraid there are some serious problem with the latest 6.1 update, hopefully they will be fixed soon.
12-09-2022, 03:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hm. Such great news marred by what seems to be poor implementation. Otherwise, can only confirm that with v6.1 Elite, K-3 image previews no longer update when WB or NR are changed. That constitutes a major bug turning editing into a blind flight mission. Let's hope they get this fixed soon. Left a post in the DxO forum thread to help make DxO aware of the issue.
12-14-2022, 04:09 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On opening PL v6.1 this evening, I was greeted by a prompt announcing an update to v6.1.1. Downloaded and installed and, based on my initial testing, my K-3 DNGs seem to react normal with regard to colour corrections and NR again. Actually, kinda pleased with how fast DxO came up with a fix, so there's still hope.

Check out the release notes here:

https://download-center.dxo.com/Support/docs/PhotoLab_v6/release-notes/PL6_r...ote_win_EN.pdf

12-15-2022, 04:34 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
I thought Dxo was a free DL photo editing software?
12-15-2022, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
I thought Dxo was a free DL photo editing software?
Years ago there was a free promotion of a reduced version of their software.
12-15-2022, 04:45 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Years ago there was a free promotion of a reduced version of their software.
Oh, ok then I am mistaken then can anyone recommend a free DL photo editor for beginners please?
12-18-2022, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JASMAZ77 Quote
Oh, ok then I am mistaken then can anyone recommend a free DL photo editor for beginners please?

How about Digital Camera Utility 5, then? Yep, the quite capable RAW converter that came with your K-3. Admittedly, the UI is hopelessly dated and looks as if it has remained stuck in the early 2000s, but the software unlocks virtually all the features your camera brings to the table, and results-wise I've heard few complaints about what the software actually delivers.

Yes, it was probably always intended as a starter software to be included in the box. And yes, there will be a learning curve to using it meaningfully. But, then again, why not start with what's already there? Later, you can explore the various trial versions out there and upgrade to one of the commercial third-party offerings.

The latest version of DCU5 can be downloaded here, under "Software" (pick Windows or Mac OS):

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

If you should have lost your original CD, you can still install the software from a medium (e.g. a USB flash drive) that you have temporarily renamed "S-SW90". That tricks the software into believing it is installing from the original CD.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-18-2022 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Installation tip added.
12-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #12

I'm not using pentax anymore.
Although with my new system I think I might go with Photoworks or ACDSee home edition

Last edited by JASMAZ77; 12-21-2022 at 01:03 AM.
12-19-2022, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today I got the following answer from DXO about the optical module for the DA* 16-50 PLM:

Thanks for the additional sample images.

The optics team have confirmed that there's an issue with this module, and that they're aiming to release an updated version in February which will fix it.

Kind regards,
Steve - DxO Labs Support Team
12-19-2022, 03:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MortenV Quote
Today I got the following answer from DXO about the optical module for the DA* 16-50 PLM:Thanks for the additional sample images.The optics team have confirmed that there's an issue with this module, and that they're aiming to release an updated version in February which will fix it.Kind regards,Steve - DxO Labs Support Team

Amazing work, MortenV. Gentle, constructive perseverance yields results. And DxO users shooting that amazing lens will benefit from it.