Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2022, 11:17 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The future of Pentax is film

---------- Post added 21-12-22 at 07:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
LOL, Ricoh currently has one authorized repair facility in the U.S. (Precision), and Ricoh will only sell parts to them. Precision won't sell Pentax owners parts unless Precision is doing a repair on them. So, no matter how minor a repair you are supposed to ship the camera or lens to Precision at your expense, and Precision can charge whatever they like since they have a monopoly on Pentax repairs. So Ricoh, tell us how this is going to work for your new SLR film cameras? And, I guess I am amazed by this news when I see large numbers of old Pentax film SLRs including lenses for sale on ebay for prices well under $100.
The answer is in your comment. If you are shooting film with an old camera and it fails, there is no spare part available to repair it, or there is no skilled staff to repair it, or the repair cost is too expensive, you will buy from Ricoh a brand new film camera what will work well with your lenses for many more years. The other thing is that film camera shooters are in much higher number (20%) than Pentax digital shooters (1% market share), so doing a film project is getting known for a new Pentax film camera is a way to get Pentax known in the whole camera market across all brands. i.e re-accessing the market via brand agnostic film base, penetrating the vertical boundaries of digital brands such as Canon, Sony, Nikon, Fuji.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-20-2022 at 11:41 PM.
12-21-2022, 12:29 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
My worry is Nikon notices the excitement, buys an inexpensive F mount camera from a 3rd party, and beats beats Pentax to the punch. The Pentax would be a better camera, but too late. I know Nikon is going all mirrorless, but this would be a cheap investment.
Thanks,
barondla
They *had* a film F camera in production until... This or last year. Don't think they will.
12-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #198
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bellamy Hunt over at Japan Camera Hunter is certainly pretty enthusiastic about the new Pentax film camera initiative. A nice read from someone who is a Leica user, and has done a lot to promote film use over the past decade.
12-21-2022, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

Pentax dedicating to film. Seems pretty much similar to Pentax dedicating to SLR. They do make cameras for the people who like to have the real sensation of Photography. Really honoring the roots.

Just as mentioned in this thread several times. If one want to take quick snap of what is going on around, just take your smartphone and get it done. Taken as good pictures with it as your latest MILC camera with quite small effort.

Then again, should you want to be creative with your photography, have the excitement of it, SLR/DSLR is good way to get there. Isn’t this one principal reason why Pentax/ricoh decided to stay with DSLR, so actually exploring this possibility is quite natural. Film is not dead and still many hobbyist/enthusiasts and even professional photographers are going for it.

I was just thinking of this one day, since I do also use MILC camera with my DSLR. What is the main difference of that experience. As they say, with MILC you are getting what you see, and it is handy. But in the other words you are looking at the picture you are going to take. With DSLR you are seeking and waiting for that photo. You think what it will be looking in the end, ofcourse you can ’chimp’ in order to make sure exposure/ect is good, but that is just in the way of the creative moment. I often still make sure that I did get the ’shot’ no matter which camera I do use.

With film this is not possible, but creative process is bigger.

Great News!

Who knows what will be the end result, it it is great that they really are seeking that ground. And it does seem on based view rates at the YouTube that this could be actually a great success. I have my old ME super and it went broken several yrs ago. I still lift it up on my eye and wind that film lever and squeeze that trigger and then sigh. I have to join in the que for this new SLR. Dunno why I have not goottien around of buying new old SLR…perhaps I thought it would break up on me too? But having a new SLR could change that

12-21-2022, 01:26 AM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is an announcement up today that Pentax is starting a Film Project, which includes the possibility of making new film cameras.

This announcement is in English too, so please take a look at the announcement, which explains some of the thinking behind this.

PENTAX brand launches a film camera project focused on developing new film-based products along with camera fans?RICOH IMAGING

Personally, I think this is a good idea. This is something that is only possible because of the SLR design, so it gives the system more uniqueness over mottoes models. (Leica M is the only other one to do this)[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 12-20-22 at 01:48 AM ----------

https://youtu.be/ilBbVpgLP_0

(Not sure how to make the YouTube link work on mobile, but there’s a video about it)
Interesting. I guess there still are some die-hard film fans out there.
12-21-2022, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They could make a hybrid Film-Digital Camera with a P&S sensor in the prism, which could take a shot just before the mirror is raised...
12-21-2022, 02:17 AM - 2 Likes   #202

I don't need much in the way of features, that's part of why I shoot film in the first place.

They could recreate the Voigtlander Bessaflex for K mount and add a multiple exposure switch and I'd be a happy chappy.

12-21-2022, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
They could make a hybrid Film-Digital Camera with a P&S sensor in the prism, which could take a shot just before the mirror is raised...
I thought about this too, mentioned it to a friend in passing. It might be a really cool feature to help simply gauge exposure, framing, depth as to whether the shot was successful or not. Or some kind of Live View preview. Basically there is so much potential and opportunities here that probably haven't been explored before. 67III, Xpan, Pontax T2, Hybrid.
12-21-2022, 03:13 AM - 3 Likes   #204
Pentaxian

Tons of posts in here ignore what they said.

a) the want to address young people - not grandpa with old manual lenses on the shelf.

b) they want to make money with new products - it is not about any old equipment, it is not about being cheap. If it is going to be "affordable" it will mean lots of things wont be there for those who tend to own "flagship" products.

Basically they want the same as Fuji did with their medium format film cameras (Instax), just somewhat more sophisticated and with a crop film format (36x24).
12-21-2022, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The future of Pentax is film
Does it mean that no future?

---------- Post added 12-21-22 at 03:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote

a) the want to address young people - not grandpa with old manual lenses on the shelf.
They will launch compact automatic film camera with slow lens, first. For high price and it will be failed...The process to using film camera is very uncomfortable and rather hard now....
12-21-2022, 03:34 AM - 8 Likes   #206
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
According to Kimio Tanaka, Pentax is going to allocate about 5% of resources to this and 95% to continue on digital. Having said that, I'm not sure what he is basing that on. It might just be his intuition. Anyway, Tanaka-san has contacts in Pentax, because he used to appear as a speaker at their events and write for their magazine, so it's plausible that he knows something about this.

Of course, a lot of reports will exaggerate what this means, saying that Pentax is shifting away from digital, even though they specifically say they won't. But the announcement and the video are quite clear that it is a side project - a bit like J-Limited was, but on a bigger scale. So it shouldn't be seen as a big change of direction for their main business.

Tanaka-san also says that he gives Pentax about a 30% chance of actually coming out with a compact and 5% of getting as far as an SLR. He's a bit of a pessimist and I think he underestimates them. TKO seems to be leading this initiative. He has a track record of coming up with out-of-the-box ideas and making them happen.
12-21-2022, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #207
Pentaxian

b) they want to make money with new products - it is not about any old equipment, it is not about being cheap. If it is going to be "affordable" it will mean lots of things wont be there for those who tend to own "flagship" products.

Basically they want the same as Fuji did with their medium format film cameras (Instax), just somewhat more sophisticated and with a crop film format (36x24).
Yes, this was quite clear from the video. Great gesture towards the young (well not only for them) users interested of Film. But also to keep this technology still alive.

As they said, it will be affordable. As it needs to, but also simple at first. Going to be interesting to see what will be that process. I’d think that expectations of any kind of hybrid model is as usual, not seeing the point of why film.

Looks like fun already.
12-21-2022, 04:54 AM   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
My worry is Nikon notices the excitement, buys an inexpensive F mount camera from a 3rd party, and beats beats Pentax to the punch. The Pentax would be a better camera, but too late. I know Nikon is going all mirrorless, but this would be a cheap investment.
Thanks,
barondla
Actually, I think this is why Pentax is the only company who can do this right now...
Nikon is ending the F mount. Sure, they could fire up a new line, but all their resources are in mirrorless. Same with Canon, Olympus, Sony...

Pentax has an entire lineup of lenses that would fit a 35mm film SLR right now, assuming it talked to KAF4...
If they're keeping it cheap, they would need a slow 35-80 or something, but that's going to cost less than developing a new 24-70 f2.8...

I've been wondering about Cosina. Do they still have the expertise to do that? Or have all those folks retired? Do they still have suppliers for shutters?
In terms of mechanical cameras, however, that FM10 could just as easily be a KM10 with a different mount...

I am very curious about that winding lever in the video... is it for the compact? or the SLR?
Either way it looks good (and would be vastly better than the PC35 knob).

-Eric
12-21-2022, 05:15 AM - 10 Likes   #209
Pentaxian

Video now at 33k views.

The other videos have taken years to reach such levels. I (and others) have been going on about the film resurgence for years. The people who fail to see the importance of film must have no contact with young people or arts/culture. All comments about performance and high tech are misguided. It's old people who are tech optimists and like performance and the new. Younger folks are often very interested in tactile manual and slow things. If they are interested in culture that is. Don't ask the jocks (unless they are also into art)

Phones have solved the "problem" of photography.

Film cameras provide a completely different experience as well as a different look to the results. The film resurgence is emphatically *not* about convenience.
12-21-2022, 05:38 AM - 2 Likes   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey ! I'm young !

I have money for them !

Closed Thread