Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #616
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There is an announcement up today that Pentax is starting a Film Project, which includes the possibility of making new film cameras.

This announcement is in English too, so please take a look at the announcement, which explains some of the thinking behind this.

PENTAX brand launches a film camera project focused on developing new film-based products along with camera fans?RICOH IMAGING

Personally, I think this is a good idea. This is something that is only possible because of the SLR design, so it gives the system more uniqueness over mottoes models. (Leica M is the only other one to do this)[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 12-20-22 at 01:48 AM ----------

https://youtu.be/ilBbVpgLP_0

(Not sure how to make the YouTube link work on mobile, but there’s a video about it)
Just another crazy random thought of mine, beside develop a rangefinder, Pentax could produce a "Hybrid" film SLR with digital preview, with the image sensor at the pentaprism to produce the preview on the back screen (OLED ?). It does not have to be high res. but accurate in color according to film stock to be used, works like Polaroid in 35mm format, or even a changeable back for film and digital.

I'm Back – Digital back for analog cameras

01-13-2023, 04:51 AM   #617
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
So using that analogy: Leica is Napoleonic Cognac, and Pentax is the photographic equivalent of sucking on goon bags?
Well it makes a change from car analogies
01-13-2023, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #618
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
**Aussie colloquial term for cheap cask wine. Sold in a cardboard carton with a 4L sealed bag of wine stored within, it is something of an Australian icon. Apparently some inventive/misguided souls run it though a soda stream to carbonate it and make "champagne" some people really deserve the hangovers they get.
Oi. Calimocho, an ungodly mixture of red wine + cola, is a staple of the average Spaniard student's diet, and my friends who drink it claim that tetrabrik wine (the kind you use for cooking at best) is the best option there .
I loathe the stuff because it has both red wine and a carbonated sweet drink, so, huh, no thanks. So yeah, deserved hangovers.
01-13-2023, 07:47 AM   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oi. Calimocho, an ungodly mixture of red wine + cola, is a staple of the average Spaniard student's diet, and my friends who drink it claim that tetrabrik wine (the kind you use for cooking at best) is the best option there .
I loathe the stuff because it has both red wine and a carbonated sweet drink, so, huh, no thanks. So yeah, deserved hangovers.
That's strange. But then again, I was recently introduced to Colabier, the Germans' weird idea to mix Coca Cola with beer. Which is both disturbing, and not as bad as it sounds.

01-13-2023, 08:42 AM   #620
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Just another crazy random thought of mine, beside develop a rangefinder, Pentax could produce a "Hybrid" film SLR with digital preview, with the image sensor at the pentaprism to produce the preview on the back screen (OLED ?). It does not have to be high res. but accurate in color according to film stock to be used, works like Polaroid in 35mm format, or even a changeable back for film and digital.

I'm Back – Digital back for analog cameras
Like You I must also be crazy as I had exactly the same thoughts, having just added two more film cameras to my collection - both in mint condition - I also thought how brilliant it would be just to have a low resolution preview before imprinting on film. We can all dream!!
01-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #621
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wooly11 Quote
Like You I must also be crazy as I had exactly the same thoughts, having just added two more film cameras to my collection - both in mint condition - I also thought how brilliant it would be just to have a low resolution preview before imprinting on film. We can all dream!!
My dream is that it would be exactly as it was ‘back in the day’.
01-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #622
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I watched the video when the development manager was so proud to say that they were developing film camera while they still had the original film engineers ... now we know why Pentax so totally lost the transfer to digital with engineers stuck in the dark ages ... and they are PROUD of it :-) Give me a break. I love my K1-ii and K3-iii - and so want a new K1-iii with the new firmware, screens and everything he K3-iii has -- but as time goes on I am beginning to loose hope. I have invested a LOT in the new Pentax lenses in the hope (waning fast) that Pentax were committed to becoming a force to be reckoned with in the DSLR and perhaps mirror-less world !!

01-13-2023, 10:44 AM - 7 Likes   #623
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vimlr007 Quote
I watched the video when the development manager was so proud to say that they were developing film camera while they still had the original film engineers ... now we know why Pentax so totally lost the transfer to digital with engineers stuck in the dark ages ... and they are PROUD of it :-) Give me a break. I love my K1-ii and K3-iii - and so want a new K1-iii with the new firmware, screens and everything he K3-iii has -- but as time goes on I am beginning to loose hope. I have invested a LOT in the new Pentax lenses in the hope (waning fast) that Pentax were committed to becoming a force to be reckoned with in the DSLR and perhaps mirror-less world !!
Pentax has been clear that they are dedicated to the DSLR experience. Mirrorless isn't in their plans, nor should it be IMO.

But engineers stuck in the dark ages? You assume they're all elderly! Based on photos and interviews of the engineers involved in developing the K3III they are not. At the same time Ricoh is fortunate to still have some on their Pentax staff with decades of experience dating back to film camera design and properly noting the intention of making those talents an asset for a reboot of their non-digital cameras should they go that route. Good on Pentax.
01-13-2023, 11:24 AM   #624
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Pentax has been clear that they are dedicated to the DSLR experience. Mirrorless isn't in their plans, nor should it be IMO.

But engineers stuck in the dark ages? You assume they're all elderly! Based on photos and interviews of the engineers involved in developing the K3III they are not. At the same time Ricoh is fortunate to still have some on their Pentax staff with decades of experience dating back to film camera design and properly noting the intention of making those talents an asset for a reboot of their non-digital cameras should they go that route. Good on Pentax.
I was under the impression that manufacturing film cameras would probably depend on getting assistance from retired engineers while they are still around. In any case, they were clear on not holding back K-1iii development.
01-13-2023, 07:27 PM   #625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

Guys -- we are talking about mainstream cameras here -- Pentax put its head in the sand a long time ago -- however in my opinion they are making a good return -- and I am spending $$$$ on them -- but to hang your hat on a return to film might be a good side stream job -- but they have a chance to become relevant again -- astrotracing and other items make their current DSLR cameras compete with the best Nikon and Cannon - but a a much lower price point ... I am not a fan of mirror-less - and I agree that they have made it clear they see the DSLR route as theirs -- but to not bring out a new flagship DSLR full frame in years wastes all the effort and progress they have made with the K-1.

For years this forum was begging them to bring it out -- we have TWO models in as many years -- and now nothing ..... in my opinion they have 2023 to take SOME initiative or they will slide into irrelevance again ... there will be no second return.
01-13-2023, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #626
Pentaxian

Guys -- we are talking about mainstream cameras here -- Pentax put its head in the sand a long time ago -- however in my opinion they are making a good return -- and I am spending $$$$ on them -- but to hang your hat on a return to film might be a good side stream job -- but they have a chance to become relevant again -- astrotracing and other items make their current DSLR cameras compete with the best Nikon and Cannon - but a a much lower price point ... I am not a fan of mirror-less - and I agree that they have made it clear they see the DSLR route as theirs -- but to not bring out a new flagship DSLR full frame in years wastes all the effort and progress they have made with the K-1.

For years this forum was begging them to bring it out -- we have TWO models in as many years -- and now nothing ..... in my opinion they have 2023 to take SOME initiative or they will slide into irrelevance again ... there will be no second return.
I am really really tired of Western voices demanding another K-1.
I personally have no idea what Japanese voices are asking for - without knowing what their primary customers are wanting, I have no idea of what market pressures they are feeling.
Personally I will work with the cameras they have delivered so far, and I'll be grateful for anything else they deliver appropriate for me.
01-13-2023, 07:55 PM - 15 Likes   #627
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster

This thread is about the film camera, and to comment on that first.
- The video makes the point that they retired engineers are needed specifically to train the younger engineers on making film cameras again. This is specifically because the younger engineers have been 100% focused on digital over the last 20 years.
- Another source close to Pentax explained that this is a side project that will probably be about 5% of Pentax's resources, so it won't have much of an impact on digital development. In the video, Suzuki-san also says that is doesn't mean they are moving away from digital.

As for the "K-1 III", Pentax would have liked to release it already, but the problem is parts cost and supply. I spoke to someone from Pentax Japan in August, and he said that they are keeping the K-1 II on the market because it is still such a good deal. If they had released a successor in 2022 it would have been too expensive. So they need to pick the right moment. I don't think the hold-up is lack of development.

When you look at other companies, they released some ILC cameras last year, but mostly APS-C (Pentax is up to date with APS-C) and only four were full frame and two of those were Canon. The others were the Leica M11 and the Sony A7R IV. There seems to be a problem with procuring full frame sensors from Sony at the moment. When this situation gets better, we will see a new camera.

The reason I feel confident a "K-1 III" will come is that the same Pentax employee told me that their full frame series is still their default recommendation for most photographers, despite the existence of the newer and more expensive K-3 III. They wouldn't take that attitude if thy didn't plan to continue the series.

Last edited by JPT; 01-14-2023 at 01:13 AM.
01-13-2023, 08:56 PM - 8 Likes   #628
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now we know why Pentax so totally lost the transfer to digital with engineers stuck in the dark ages....
....I so want a new K1-iii with the new firmware, screens and everything he K3-iii has -- but as time goes on I am beginning to loose hope.
It equally puzzles, amuses and upsets me that so many people are determined to be unhappy because of what they lack, rather than being happy with what they have.

I have invested a LOT in the new Pentax lenses in the hope (waning fast) that Pentax were committed to becoming a force to be reckoned with in the DSLR and perhaps mirror-less world !!
I would hope you bought those lenses because they are superb. Right now. With the gear you currently have.

Pentax is a niche player - aiming to be small but profitable, rather than chasing market share. They will probably never be "a force" in the way you hope. Mirrorless is almost certainly off the table for the foreseeable future. Make of that opinion what you will.
01-13-2023, 09:50 PM   #629
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It equally puzzles, amuses and upsets me that so many people are determined to be unhappy because of what they lack, rather than being happy with what they have.

I would hope you bought those lenses because they are superb. Right now. With the gear you currently have.

Pentax is a niche player - aiming to be small but profitable, rather than chasing market share. They will probably never be "a force" in the way you hope. Mirrorless is almost certainly off the table for the foreseeable future. Make of that opinion what you will.
Plus there are hints of the monochrome version of the K3iii being close to release. The Chinese xitec Pentax forum has a post purportedly showing comparison images at both high and low iso, along with the the hint on the latest WiFi Commander release notes.
01-13-2023, 11:05 PM   #630
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Plus there are hints of the monochrome version of the K3iii being close to release. The Chinese xitec Pentax forum has a post purportedly showing comparison images at both high and low iso, along with the the hint on the latest WiFi Commander release notes.
That sounds very interesting. If you have the link to the samples, I think it would be worth starting a new thread on that.
Closed Thread