Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 828 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2023, 03:49 PM   #661
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what are the thoughts/opinions of all ya'll?
will we get a new digital camera next? or a new film camera first?

02-06-2023, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #662
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
If I can afford it, it will be the K-1iii. If I had another film camera I'd want it to be fully manual (apart from an exposure meter) because otherwise it might as well be digital (for me). I do stll have my 67s, someven that would be an indulgence.
02-06-2023, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #663
Pentaxian

It depends on what cameras is included. A P&S film camera is probably 2-3 years away and a possible film SLR most likely 5+ years away.

These film cameras are low priority projects with little resoures to be invested, and by Ricohs standard it mean it can take long long time. Even high priority projects like K3 III took long time.

So I believe it is more likely we see several digital cameras before a film SLR is out.
02-07-2023, 03:32 AM - 2 Likes   #664
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both if I can afford it. I would most likely switch K-3 Mk III for K-1 Mk III assuming that AF is more or less the same. Only for tilt screen

But I would also love to get brand new film camera. My old M42 and M39 cameras are already old (M39 lots older then me) and while they are serviceable it is harder and harder to find someone to service them. I am afraid that at one moment I will hear the same that I heard with my wall watch - we cannot service this, sorry. No one knows such old mechanism and how to repair it.

02-07-2023, 08:22 AM   #665
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
No one knows such old mechanism and how to repair it.
I wonder what the world of old camera repair looks like with advances in AI and 3D printing..
02-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #666
Pentaxian

No one knows such old mechanism and how to repair it.
How is repairing a film camera more complicated than repairing a digital camera?? The film is simply replaced. The advancing mechanism is fairly simple. Everything ahead of the film is basically unchanged.

You appear to be looking problems where there is none.
02-07-2023, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #667
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder what the world of old camera repair looks like with advances in AI and 3D printing..
Probably same as old watches and I own quite few unique ones. For example I have XIX century kitchen watch that does not use a single screw. All is hold together by proper shapes, weight, material and tolerances in parts. I pray that nothing happens to it cause I doubt that there will be anyone able to make new part that will work with rest of mechanism.

I think recreating old camera 1:1 is not an issue. Making parts that will work with old mechanism, putting it together and calibrating is bigger issue.

02-07-2023, 10:03 AM   #668
Pentaxian

Probably same as old watches and I own quite few unique ones. For example I have XIX century kitchen watch that does not use a single screw. All is hold together by proper shapes, weight, material and tolerances in parts. I pray that nothing happens to it cause I doubt that there will be anyone able to make new part that will work with rest of mechanism.

I think recreating old camera 1:1 is not an issue. Making parts that will work with old mechanism, putting it together and calibrating is bigger issue.
I still believe you are searching for problems.
02-07-2023, 10:26 AM   #669
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I still believe you are searching for problems.
are you saying it's easy and a readily available service to repair vintage cameras and watches?
no? then what's the problem? according to you it's simple and unchanged.
should be wildly easy to get these vintage equipment serviced...? smh
02-07-2023, 11:40 AM   #670
Pentaxian

are you saying it's easy and a readily available service to repair vintage cameras and watches?
no? then what's the problem? according to you it's simple and unchanged.
should be wildly easy to get these vintage equipment serviced...? smh
No, I’m saying that concern about new equipment using new parts may be ‘borrowing trouble’.
02-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #671
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How is repairing a film camera more complicated than repairing a digital camera?? The film is simply replaced. The advancing mechanism is fairly simple. Everything ahead of the film is basically unchanged.

You appear to be looking problems where there is none.
I haven’t been able to find a repair shop in the states that has a way to repair or replace the shutter speed mechanism in my LX.
02-07-2023, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #672
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I haven’t been able to find a repair shop in the states that has a way to repair or replace the shutter speed mechanism in my LX.
If you haven't already, check Pro Camera in Charlottesville VA. Ryan, the repair guy, now owns the whole shop, as I understand it. He rehabbed my LX in 2020 and did a fantastic job.
02-07-2023, 11:46 AM   #673
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Old parts again. There is no reason to expect them to use a different mechanism than in the {not yet seen} K-1iii {for SLR} or a modern leaf-shutter for ‘lesser’ camera.

Last edited by reh321; 02-07-2023 at 12:06 PM.
02-07-2023, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #674
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Vorb Sardt Quote
If you haven't already, check Pro Camera in Charlottesville VA. Ryan, the repair guy, now owns the whole shop, as I understand it. He rehabbed my LX in 2020 and did a fantastic job.
Looks like they aren’t even taking submissions for their waitlist right now, but I signed up for their newsletter.
02-07-2023, 12:43 PM   #675
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

concern about new equipment using new parts may be ‘borrowing trouble’.
both jersey and I were talking about servicing vintage gear.
no clue what you're driving at, reh
Closed Thread