Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 82 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2023, 02:24 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@JPT - I think WR is more about dust then water. I've heard (do not own one) that GRIII is (in)famous for getting dust on sensor, WR sealing will deal with this problem.

01-06-2023, 05:11 AM   #32
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
@JPT - I think WR is more about dust then water. I've heard (do not own one) that GRIII is (in)famous for getting dust on sensor, WR sealing will deal with this problem.
Is that the case? I thought the GR and the GR II were the cameras where this was a big problem. In the GR III they have a system to shake dust off the sensor, which seems to reduce the incidence of that problem. I suspect the camera might be better designed to keep out dust in other ways, but not to the extent that Ricoh can claim it is WR

It's difficult to judge how big a problem this still is. because you only hear anecdotal evidence from people who have this problem. Certainly it happens for some people. But considering how many more units of GR III and GR IIIx Ricoh has sold that the GR II, you would expect more reported cases. I don't really see that. So I think it is much less of a problem with the III models and more of a problem of people being scared be reports that date form the older ones. Certainly mine doesn't have a problem, but I usually treat it with the respect an expensive camera deserves. It stays in the official leather case between uses.

Anyway, my point was that making it sealed would slow down the start-up time. So that is the reason they made it as they did.
01-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote

Anyway, my point was that making it sealed would slow down the start-up time. So that is the reason they made it as they did.
start-up time of GRII is 1.3 sec. not very quick. nothing to worry. all P&S cameras are not speed monster.

weather sealing has almost zero effect at the speed of camera. adding sealings to camera costs several dollars and protect it from dust and a bit higer humidity.
GRIII has antidust system, but without WR this system works not effective. GRIII could have dust on sensor, although it's not big problem as before...

1 battery with 350 shots and no need to carry additional battery.
01-06-2023, 03:13 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Again, referring to the developers, the reason why weather sealing is not a good idea on the GR is operation speed. In the GR III, they put a much stronger lens motor in (than the GR II), which reduces start-up time to under a second and increases reliability (some old GR were susceptible to the lens motor failing). However, if they added seals to the lens unit, it would increase the friction and slow the start-up time right down, totally cancelling any benefit from the new motor or making it slower than before.
Is that necessarily the case? I would have thought that the sealing could be designed to seat at the beginning and end of the lens extension, which would minimise the drag on the motor during power-up. Obviously, there would be additional drag on focus movements, but are these long enough to worry the focus motor? I know every little bit helps, but it would probably be a small price to pay for improved protection, especially for those not as diligent as you are in keeping the camera in its pouch when not in use.

01-07-2023, 05:20 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
GR and GR II certainly.
GR III maybe but I don't think so.
01-08-2023, 03:31 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
GR and GR II certainly.
Ultrasonic Dust remover of K-series of DLSR helps a lot, but it is not the cure with 100% effectiveness, 70% - my experience. Anyway you need to clean sensor even with antidust system from time to time. The problem of GR series is unreal to clean sensor at home under warrannty conddition. GRIII still has dust on sensor.
01-09-2023, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Ricoh GR III Diary Edition is now official:

Ricoh launches new GR III 'Diary Edition' with exclusive case and wrist strap | Digital Photography Review

Available late January for the MSRP of $1,149.95.

01-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
Frankly I couldn't care less if they are guilty of milking the concept. Next iteration should be a CCD sensor for the "I like the rendering of the colours" crowd. A healthy Ricoh means more chance of Pentax lives.
As a big proponent of the (probably completely illogical) CCD mystique, If they could ressurrect the 14MP CCD sensor from the Sony A390 I'd have to sell a few things and get me one Unless they wanted like two thousand dollars for it - which, now that I think of it, they would.

But no, not gonna happen, unless Sony happened to have some thousands of those sensors in a warehouse somewhere. But considering how many cameras they ended up doing with them (A350, A380, A390, A290), I'd say they used up all they had.

At some point I wish I can get myself a GRIIIx, that camera is everything I always wanted a compact camera to be.
01-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
GR and GR II certainly.

dust is stiil a problem of GR...
01-19-2023, 02:12 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
https://youtu.be/4ndsBDx36uE

dust is stiil a problem of GR...
I don't know what this guy does, but his SR not working at all is suspicious. Not in line with my experience at all. Same for AF, but I don't use his "style". Haven't noticed the coolness in AWB, but this could be.
01-19-2023, 02:39 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't know what this guy does, but his SR not working at all is suspicious. Not in line with my experience at all. Same for AF, but I don't use his "style". Haven't noticed the coolness in AWB, but this could be.
I say about dust only. See comments below video.
01-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I say about dust only. See comments below video.
If SR doesn't work, maybe the shake off of the dust doesn't work either. I don't know what is with his camera, so can't come to any conclusion based on this video. I do have a GRII (the third, because they are so good for my work) and a GRIIIx. While the first two have been used to take more than 30k images in the desert in Sudan, the last one is used in Europe in normal conditions. I had a lot of dust on the first two (,no wonder) I don't see a problem with the third. And I can't see any dust on the GRIIIx after 40k images in Italy. But if this worries you so much, you should get a comparable camera that doesn't have this potential issue. If you know one.
01-19-2023, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

If SR doesn't work, maybe the shake off of the dust doesn't work either. I don't know what is with his camera, so can't come to any conclusion based on this video. I do have a GRII (the third, because they are so good for my work) and a GRIIIx. While the first two have been used to take more than 30k images in the desert in Sudan, the last one is used in Europe in normal conditions. I had a lot of dust on the first two (,no wonder) I don't see a problem with the third. And I can't see any dust on the GRIIIx after 40k images in Italy. But if this worries you so much, you should get a comparable camera that doesn't have this potential issue. If you know one.
The best camera review is when you use the camera and figure it out for yourself, and often your conclusions are not the same as what you'll read online/videos. Your conclusion will depend on how you use the camera, what reference points you have in mind, and whether you compare the camera capabilities to your needs or whether you compare it to other cameras. Everything is mixed up online, without mentioning any reference against which is based the evaluation. I read things such as "auto-focus is fast", I go try the camera and I find it super slow. I read "such camera is for making huge prints", I check the prints and find the huge print is an A3 print, what huge is huge I don't know but it seem to vary enormously from one person to the next. Plus there is brand bias and all sorts of cognitive biases, anchoring, time of the day etc... forget about it.
01-20-2023, 04:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

And I can't see any dust on the GRIIIx after 40k images in Italy. But if this worries you so much, you should get a comparable camera that doesn't have this potential issue. If you know one.
Easy to check. Make photos of sky at f8-11 and to find spots. By the way, you can easy find it at any camera with interchangeable lenses and clean the sensor.
01-20-2023, 05:24 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Easy to check. Make photos of sky at f8-11 and to find spots. By the way, you can easy find it at any camera with interchangeable lenses and clean the sensor.
Like I said, I can't see any on my images. I know how I could check, but I see no reason as long as I don't see it or it influences my images.
If I would want a camera with interchangeable lenses, I would just get one. But for my work a camera with this image quality at a system weight of 232g is just the Goldilocks zone. And I don't see dust on the images. Why whining about something that this camera is not, if it suits me as it is?
My point was, the posted review is just a personal statement of someone pointing out some preferences. But I don't see any possibility to extrapolate such a statement as you did.

However, I'm out of here. This title and the posts have split long ago.

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-20-2023 at 05:40 AM.