Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-m availability in Oz

Downloaded a Pentax Ad off the official Pentax Australia site you can see it here
Pentax Australia | News

It is great that Pentax is promoting their camera range but I am concerned that the ad states that the Pentax K-m will be exclusive to Teds which is fine for those on the East but perhaps Pentax don't realise that Teds does not have a presence in Western Australia.

Can any Aussies confirm this?

12-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, Teds staff in Melbourne CBD had repeatedly told me that I should never buy a Pentax brand. The staff members had repeatedly told me to look at Canon 400d which was a far better camera than Pentax whatever it was.

This happened too many times that I just wanted to know if Teds had anything in stock. Instead of checking stock, the knee jerk reaction is the urgent need to convert me to Canon.

If that were the case, stupid CR Kennedy.
12-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #3

From what I've been able to see, Ted's definitely appears to be the only store stocking the K-M at the moment. I seriously struggle with the logic of having an exclusive retailer. It's assured that the price of this camera is sure to remain high and unreasonable until well after it's discontinued.
12-28-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
It's baffling me, I know that the West doesn't have the same population density but it is still a sizeable chunk of the Australian market that will not have access (other than online) to the Pentax K-m.

I can only assume that Teds have guaranteed to buy a considerable quantity of stock to receive exclusivity. - I wonder if they will be pumped out with Sigma lenses as well? (CR Kennedy are the Sigma Distributor as well as Pentax)

12-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JB HiFi have K200 with Pentax 18-55 kit lens for AU$688.
Incredible bargain for OZ - why would you spend near $1000 for the K-m?
12-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good question.
12-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

maybe because it is small and cute?

12-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Until reading this thread I thought Pentax US marketing was at the bottom of the barrel but it looks like you guys have it worse.
12-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I spotted the K-M in Ted's window on Saturday so they definitely have it in store.

And at the moment its going for AUD$799 with Pentax lens - still more than the K200D in the same shop BTW.

It really is quite small - very close in size to a megazoom P&S IMHO. Still, if it convinces someone to buy Pentax......
12-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Until reading this thread I thought Pentax US marketing was at the bottom of the barrel but it looks like you guys have it worse.
Well, here in Singapore our local Pentax agent might not even bring in K-m, or any more Pentax camera or lens They claimed they'd dump Pentax for good next year 'cause they've been losing 1m SGD on Pentax each year in the past 3 years ...

Oh well, at least they are still doing services for Pentax at the moment, but no more new items coming ...
12-28-2008, 07:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

frank, that is very depressing to hear! I was planning to follow up on some lenses in Taiwan when I go there in March next year. This is not a good news for sure.
12-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
frank, that is very depressing to hear! I was planning to follow up on some lenses in Taiwan when I go there in March next year. This is not a good news for sure.
Well, Taiwan is Heaven for Pentax stuff comparing to Singapore, I'm sure you won't be disappointed
12-30-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, Teds staff in Melbourne CBD had repeatedly told me that I should never buy a Pentax brand. The staff members had repeatedly told me to look at Canon 400d which was a far better camera than Pentax whatever it was.
I had the same problem buying both olympus (recently) and pentax at their city store.. They told me it was rubbish and only canon is good.. funny as the end result is I went elsewhere..

The Olympus one was actually just after they and Olympus did a big advert campaign.. I guess Olympus shares the cost in some way for those joint campaigns? but when I get to Ted's he literally said the Olympus was rubbish and I should buy Canon.. crazy..
12-30-2008, 02:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

TEDS is a company married with Canon. When the word pentax is mentioned, I see no eye contact but nostrils breathing down into my face. That is salesmanship.
12-30-2008, 05:48 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Problem is we don't even have a Teds in Perth (or the whole of Western Australia) so the K-m will not be available here in Perth - other than Teds Online.

Since its target market is up graders from P&S I can't see many of them in Perth buying a K-m without being able to hold one at least.

If Teds is so Canon orientated it certainly begs the question, "Why give Teds store exclusivity for the K-m and why limit your market to only the Eastern States?"

This is absolutely madness!