Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2023, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
... I think a body in the class of the KP would be better suited for special sensors, just because of the moveable screen and the fact that fast AF and FPS are probably nothing of importance in the use cases of such a camera. ...
I shoot primarily (well, almost all) monochrome, and I must agree that fast AF and the FPS rate is of little importance with the type of photography most B&W shooters are doing. And, yes, the moveable screen is very useful when the camera spends a lot of time on a tripod. For myself, a K-1 type would be lovely, but I think I would also like a monochrome KP. To my mind, these both seem to be ideal candidates for monochrome.

However, no matter what form-factor Pentax would choose, I suspect they could get the attention of a lot of B&W shooters who don't want to (or simply can't justify) spending $6,000 for a Leica.

If Pentax does introduce a monochrome camera and if I am still around — I'm 80 and Pentax moves slowly — I will definitely be interested.

01-15-2023, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Small batch custom orders for monochrome sensors would logically be more expensive than a large contract order of already spec'd color ones.https://maxmax.com/faq/camera-tech/debayer-study/mono-manufacturing
I thought each monochrome sensor CFA is removed with sand paper in your garage. Each time Ricoh makes a new batch of K3 III monochrome , sand paper is sold out at Home Depot in Tokyo.
01-15-2023, 03:43 PM - 6 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I thought each monochrome sensor CFA is removed with sand paper in your garage. Each time Ricoh makes a new batch of K3 III monochrome , sand paper is sold out at Home Depot in Tokyo.
It's pixies working in a basement in the Ginza district. They take the tiny quantities of color from each sensor pixel and use it to coat the best Pentax lenses. That's why these lenses are "Limited" - there's only a limited amount of pixel color available.
01-16-2023, 04:29 AM   #34
Pentaxian

This thing is real and near, check the release notes of the current version of WiFi Commander for Pentax :P

01-16-2023, 06:54 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
This thing is real and near, check the release notes of the current version of WiFi Commander for Pentax :P

Does this come from some additional source of info ? Or is it just a rumor feeding on itself, so to speak ?
01-16-2023, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
Does this come from some additional source of info ? Or is it just a rumor feeding on itself, so to speak ?
Additional source of info that I can't disclose but that are related to my app.
01-16-2023, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's pixies working in a basement in the Ginza district. They take the tiny quantities of color from each sensor pixel and use it to coat the best Pentax lenses. That's why these lenses are "Limited" - there's only a limited amount of pixel color available.
So it's actually Pixel Dust on the HD Limiteds...
I guess the pixies had to make the dust themselves when the old FA Limiteds were released, hence the Pixie Dust :P

01-16-2023, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
For myself, a K-1 type would be lovely, but I think I would also like a monochrome KP. To my mind, these both seem to be ideal candidates for monochrome.

If Pentax does introduce a monochrome camera and if I am still around — I'm 80 and Pentax moves slowly — I will definitely be interested.
+1 (...provided it's not a ridiculous price).

Philip
01-16-2023, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
+1 (...provided it's not a ridiculous price).

Philip
Which of the K3III components would you be willing to give up to get a monochrome KP? The K3III has a larger pentaprism and battery, a touchscreen, Bluetooth on the motherboard, two SD slots, a better arrangement of controls and more of them, a top LCD for faster review of settings while shooting? Those are off the top of my head, there may be others. The K3III is actually not all that larger than the KP either, which is actually larger and slightly heavier than the K70 if bulk concerns you.

Of all the recent Pentax cameras I've owned the only one "not like the others" ergonomically was the KP. It never felt as secure in hand, and controls were just too cramped into a smaller surface space. It's a divisive design. I know some folks like 'em after adapting to the unique grip and button placement, a LOT it seems, but I believe far more prefer the grip, controls, and button spacing of the K3 series. These are things I use every time I pick up my Pentax camera. A flippy screen might be used a few times, but certainly not commonly and regularly.

Given the choice between a K3 or KP styling and not being able to have both, the logical one is a K3. It's current and designed. Yeah but flippy screen, right? Adding a flip screen to an already-designed K3 shell adds another element with more expense in both components and body redesign, a longer and delayed production schedule, and more risk of orphaned bodies to either melt down or dispose of should sales projections not pan out. The K3III is already primed, production lines set, components that fit already sourced, and needs little to make it monochrome. Waiting to do it with a KP body leaves too much opportunity for another player to come along and steal the niche market for themselves. Isnt' the common complaint that Pentax waits too long to enter a market? They don't need to this time, and I believe it's just weeks away from official announcement. Positive press is coming, Pentax ain't dead yet.

So it's a wise move from the company IMO; Take an existing design and expand its capabilities, and perhaps drawing interest from non-Pentax photographers, all without risking excessive expenses to get it to market, money they cannot afford to gamble with.
01-16-2023, 11:59 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Which of the K3III components would you be willing to give up to get a monochrome KP? The K3III has a larger pentaprism and battery, a touchscreen, Bluetooth on the motherboard, two SD slots, a better arrangement of controls and more of them, a top LCD for faster review of settings while shooting? Those are off the top of my head, there may be others. The K3III is actually not all that larger than the KP either, which is actually larger and slightly heavier than the K70 if bulk concerns you.

Of all the recent Pentax cameras I've owned the only one "not like the others" ergonomically was the KP. It never felt as secure in hand, and controls were just too cramped into a smaller surface space. It’s a divisive design. I know some folks like 'em after adapting to the unique grip and button placement, a LOT it seems, but I believe far more prefer the grip, controls, and button spacing of the K3 series. These are things I use every time I pick up my Pentax camera. A flippy screen might be used a few times, but certainly not commonly and regularly.

Given the choice between a K3 or KP styling and not being able to have both, the logical one is a K3. It's current and designed. Yeah but flippy screen, right? Adding a flip screen to an already-designed K3 shell adds another element with more expense in both components and body redesign, a longer and delayed production schedule, and more risk of orphaned bodies to either melt down or dispose of should sales projections not pan out. The K3III is already primed, production lines set, components that fit already sourced, and needs little to make it monochrome. Waiting to do it with a KP body leaves too much opportunity for another player to come along and steal the niche market for themselves. Isnt' the common complaint that Pentax waits too long to enter a market? They don't need to this time, and I believe it's just weeks away from official announcement. Positive press is coming, Pentax ain't dead yet.

So it's a wise move from the company IMO; Take an existing design and expand its capabilities, and perhaps drawing interest from non-Pentax photographers, all without risking excessive expenses to get it to market, money they cannot afford to gamble with.
I use the smallest grip with the KP, and it felt right-at-home immediately in my hands; I don’t expect Pentax to revive it in any form, however. Yes, it is bigger than the “Super Program” I used for twelve years, but it it feels similar. If Pentax does eventually release a pocketable film camera, I might get one, but I have no issues with the “Super Program”, and my only issue with the KP is it’s focusing speed - I may just have to adjust how I focus with it.

Last edited by reh321; 01-16-2023 at 12:09 PM.
01-16-2023, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I use the smallest grip with the KP, and it felt right-at-home immediately in my hands. Yes, it is bigger than the “Super Program” I used for twelve years, but it it feels similar.
Yup, the KP design has its fans. That doesn't negate the economic and market arguments for the first Pentax monochrome model being based on the K3III. A resurrection of the KP might sound romantic to you, but the logic leans heavy towards a K3 styled body.
01-16-2023, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I'd say the KP style would suit a monochrome camera very well - the problem is that the KP is an old generation, and a discontinued model.
I don't see the point in using a flagship; but, the K-3iii was the best option they had. The only option, actually (ignoring the GR).
01-16-2023, 01:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'd say the KP style would suit a monochrome camera very well - the problem is that the KP is an old generation, and a discontinued model.
I don't see the point in using a flagship; but, the K-3iii was the best option they had. The only option, actually (ignoring the GR).
The KF would also be an option now - it even has a moveable LCD.
01-16-2023, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KF would also be an option now - it even has a moveable LCD.
It's a rather old platform to use for installing something novel, niche and expensive
01-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Yup, the KP design has its fans. That doesn't negate the economic and market arguments for the first Pentax monochrome model being based on the K3III. A resurrection of the KP might sound romantic to you, but the logic leans heavy towards a K3 styled body.
Actually, since no K-3 has a moveable LCD - which has resulted in complaint after complaint - I don’t see any logic at all to using a body which is so expensive to start with.
Closed Thread