Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 224 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2023, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K3iii Monochrome rumors

Here is a link to a Chinese language forum that hints (with samples) at an upcoming monochrome K3iii
K-3 Mark III Monochrome
Note - requires translation

01-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DeepL translation of the original post:

The following information is included in the questionnaire survey received on December 23, 2011.
Features::1.
1. Uses an APS-C CMOS image sensor dedicated to monochrome photography without a color filter.
2. Superior image rendering performance with more detail than images converted from color data to monochrome in standard models.
3. Smooth tonal gradation even at high sensitivity with fine luminance noise particles
Price: 350,000 yen (including tax)
Release: 2023

简译:简译.
没有色彩滤镜. The color transitions are even better than those of black-and-white images. The brightness is even lower and the sensitivity is even better. Priced at 350,000 yuan. 2023 sales.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
01-14-2023, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Here is a link to a Chinese language forum that hints (with samples) at an upcoming monochrome K3iii
K-3 Mark III Monochrome
Note - requires translation
Close to $3000 US is not surprising. It's a limited market and with a special production sensor rather than off-the-shelf. The sensor cost alone will add significantly to it IMO.

As for the highlighted advantages, that's all true based on my own monochrome K3.
01-14-2023, 09:22 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Always some leaks, marketing seals not working as expected.

K3 III is the wrong candidate for monochrome. Pentax K1 monochrome would be more interesting to have (in my opinion).

01-14-2023, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
K3 III is the wrong candidate for monochrome. Pentax K1 monochrome would be more interesting to have (in my opinion).
With a K1III already designed but not yet in production, and the K3III already out, complete, production lines set up with only necessary changes for some software optimizing and sensor? The K1 would be interesting, the K3IIIm more commercially viable.
01-14-2023, 09:41 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
(...)

简译:简译.
没有色彩滤镜. The color transitions are even better than those of black-and-white images. The brightness is even lower and the sensitivity is even better. Priced at 350,000 yuan. 2023 sales.
DeepL is a bit lost since the first part of the message is in Japanese (it's a quote) and the second a short translation in Chinese.

Here below the translation of the Chinese part:

"Short translation.
No colour filters. Better image detail than colour converted to black and white. Less luminance noise, and better levels at high sensitivities. Price JPĽ350,000. On sale in 2023.
"

By the way, the two examples at ISO 25,600 come from the online meeting held on 23 November 2022 (from 7:50 till the end).

Last edited by Mistral75; 01-14-2023 at 09:53 AM.
01-14-2023, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This concept seems to fit well with Pentax/Ricoh's new "workshop" model of small-batch production of interesting products that appeal to photographers.

If this monochrome version works well, Pentax might want to consider making a version similar to the Phase One Trichromatic(Phase One introduces the first Trichromatic sensor made in collaboration with Sony! - sonyalpharumors and Tony Hewitt Captures Emotions with the Trichromatic - Phase One Photography). The idea is to intensify the color filters on the sensor (by increasing the concentration of pigments or thickness of the filter) to strengthen the RGB color separation. The resulting camera may be about a half-stop less light sensitive than the standard color filter sensor but it will produce much more vivid, saturated images. It's not a huge technological change although it does require a custom production run at the sensor chip factory just like making a monochrome sensor version does.

Last edited by photoptimist; 01-14-2023 at 10:00 AM.
01-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #8
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Close to $3000 US is not surprising. It's a limited market and with a special production sensor rather than off-the-shelf. The sensor cost alone will add significantly to it IMO.

As for the highlighted advantages, that's all true based on my own monochrome K3.
Have you tried the pixel shift mode with your monochrome K3 to see if that furthers the noise reduction?
01-14-2023, 10:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Have you tried the pixel shift mode with your monochrome K3 to see if that furthers the noise reduction?
Mine is the original K3. That said I might soon have another monochrome body WITH PixelShift. But TBH the best person to ask is Medex who almost certainly will be along sooner than later.
01-14-2023, 10:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

With a K1III already designed but not yet in production, and the K3III already out, complete, production lines set up with only necessary changes for some software optimizing and sensor? The K1 would be interesting, the K3IIIm more commercially viable.
Is K-1 III already past design stage?
01-14-2023, 11:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You certainly are right. A K-3III chassis with a special sensor must cost just that. However, a quiet nagging may be allowed, that I think a body in the class of the KP would be better suited for special sensors, just because of the moveable screen and the fact that fast AF and FPS are probably nothing of importance in the use cases of such a camera. But I assume they rather sell such low quantity items at 2600€ than 1600€ in such a body. Admittedly, the viewfinder of the K3 III is a nice feature though.
01-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Is K-1 III already past design stage?
According to someone with far more boots-on-the-ground knowledge than most of us, yes it is.
01-14-2023, 12:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
You certainly are right. A K-3III chassis with a special sensor must cost just that. However, a quiet nagging may be allowed, that I think a body in the class of the KP would be better suited for special sensors, just because of the moveable screen and the fact that fast AF and FPS are probably nothing of importance in the use cases of such a camera. But I assume they rather sell such low quantity items at 2600€ than 1600€ in such a body. Admittedly, the viewfinder of the K3 III is a nice feature though.
Perhaps, except the KP is now an abandoned chassis, and going forward the older OS is too in all probability.
01-14-2023, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
The problem is that subbing in a custom sensor on an entry tier model is going to push the price to the user well past what would be considered acceptable for a camera with an entry level build.
01-14-2023, 12:29 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

According to someone with far more boots-on-the-ground knowledge than most of us, yes it is.
Admittedly I have no boots on the ground at this point. My rather special relationship with Pentax ended abruptly when Ricoh took the reins, but I anticipate the K1III will start being teased out within the next 6 months with a release date sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. I'd like it to be an earlier release, but I suspect there are going to be hick ups with component supplies that are going to cause delays.
The K1 was released to the public in late April/ early May 2016, I was hoping for the K1III to be released around 8 years after the K1, but I suspect it's going to be later than that.
Closed Thread