Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2023, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
Do you think that Sony can't supply 1000 sensors per month for Ricoh?
The real question is if they can provide the sensors at a price Ricoh can afford…

And Ricoh’s lower volume probably implies higher unit costs anyway…

There are many reasons why Ricoh may have a delay that could be supply chain related yet have nothing to do with sensors.

-Eric

01-17-2023, 03:35 PM   #17
Closed Account

645Z project has no prospects I think. I don't wait the upgrade of 645Z in near future...The competition lost IMO...

---------- Post added 01-17-23 at 01:21 PM ----------

American English is not my native language, I didn't catch your idea, sorry...I mean 1000 sensor for K-1III. Let it be 3000, not the big difference.

There seems to be clammer in the Pentax medium format community for an updated 645. I suspect Ricoh isn't releasing a new one because they don't have a lot of R&D money to put into adding a bunch of new bells and whistles to one. What I'm suggesting, however, is that the current 645z could be upgraded to the 100MP sensor without changing much else on the body. A sensor upgrade alone, I think, would be a great upgrade, satisfy users that want to upgrade, and even convince some new folks to go with the Pentax medium format.

As far as you saying "The competition lost IMO, " I think you may have meant to type "The competition won IMO," right?
01-17-2023, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where is the proof of your information? Sony A7 cameras has a lot of versions - 24, 33, 42, 50 and 60 MP - all cameras are in stores...
Don’t forget that the Sony apsc line-up has been on hold since Covid era shortages. Also some models including apsc and ff Sony were constrained and on production hold at one point. Things are getting better but there were severe shortages that impacted more than just Pentax.

Pentax is also likely to be lower in priority than some other customers including Sony themselves due to volume.
01-17-2023, 06:19 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Where is the proof of your information? Sony A7 cameras has a lot of versions - 24, 33, 42, 50 and 60 MP - all cameras are in stores...
If Sony can't keep up with demand, they are going to sell their sensors to their camera division before they feed them to their competition.

01-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There were only 7 new cameras released last year, across all manufacturers. Seven.

-Two Canon, the EOS R7 and R10
-Two Fujis, X-H2S and X-T5
-A single Nikon, the Z30
-and two OM's, OM-1 and OM-5

That's not many at all Biz, so it's hardly a brisk roll-out full of innovative new cameras coming to the market.
Contrast that to just five years ago with 27 new camera models across 7 different manufacturers.
What about the Pentax KF?
01-17-2023, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I guess that one did sneak in right at the end of the year. Personally I wouldn't consider it a new model but technically it is. OK, 8 cameras.
01-17-2023, 08:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If Sony can't keep up with demand, they are going to sell their sensors to their camera division before they feed them to their competition.
So this would be a good time for some Pentax engineers to work on cameras that use film - all they would have to do then is to figure out what will sell.

01-17-2023, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

There were only 7 new cameras released last year, across all manufacturers. Seven.

-A single Nikon, the Z30

That's not many at all Biz, so it's hardly a brisk roll-out full of innovative new cameras coming to the market.
Contrast that to just five years ago with 27 new camera models across 7 different manufacturers.
Doesn’t Canon still manufacture their own sensors?
{Including the KF as ‘a new camera’}, that would be 6 new cameras using Sony sensors?
01-17-2023, 09:18 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KF counts but I’d imagine volumes are lower than some of the others - partly due to the timing, partly due to sales numbers.
01-17-2023, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess that one did sneak in right at the end of the year. Personally I wouldn't consider it a new model but technically it is. OK, 8 cameras.
I admit, I made that comment tongue-in-cheek

Tangentially related, the "new" OM System OM-5 is actually the Olympus E-M5 III body with mostly E-M1 III guts. So it's not really "new", either. It had to be rolled out because the rights to use the Olympus name were expiring.

So yeah, 2022 was a lean year for new models. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.
01-18-2023, 01:40 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
As far as you saying "The competition lost IMO, " I think you may have meant to type "The competition won IMO," right?
645Z is very old camera, there are two main players in digital MF now, but it's not Ricoh.
01-18-2023, 02:34 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If we count the KF we ought to count all the other cameras still on sale from everyone else, all the way to the dozen A6000 still stuck on a shelf somewhere in a Bestbuy

IMHO, I'd only count the two Fujis (new sensor on both, or just the XH2?), the Z30 and the OM-1. The OM-5 for the reasons you mentioned, and the Canons because Canon is vertically integrated - they only depend on themselves.
01-18-2023, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

-A single Nikon, the Z30

What about the
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
  • Fujifilm X-H2
  • Hasselblad H2D 100C
  • Leica M11
  • Panasonic Lumix DC-GH6
  • Sony Alpha 7R V
01-18-2023, 02:52 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

-A single Nikon, the Z30
It's interesting that you don't count the KF as a camera.
01-18-2023, 02:52 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I admit, I made that comment tongue-in-cheek

Tangentially related, the "new" OM System OM-5 is actually the Olympus E-M5 III body with mostly E-M1 III guts. So it's not really "new", either. It had to be rolled out because the rights to use the Olympus name were expiring.

So yeah, 2022 was a lean year for new models. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.
I think the better way is looking which camera came to the market and needed new negotiations for sourcing a sensor on the 2021/2022 sensor market. The Om-system uses one they already use.
It's, I assume, the 2 Canons and the 2 Fuji's. I also assume that they either produce the sensors alone or have long lasting working contracts with manufacturers pre 2021.
The Nikon uses a sensor for which they probably have contracts and same for Om-systems. Edit: oh, obviously this is also true for the KF.

I'm sure Sony could have provided Ricoh with sensors. But obviously nobody thought it was a good idea to make a (long term) supply contract in the market situation of 2022. Seems to be prices are over the top.