Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 173 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2023, 07:19 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
It is hardly critique when you are voicing your opinion about brand you are using.
Or the brand they are no longer using.
But, it is critique. That's not the issue; the "at every opportunity for whatever reason they can come up with" is. Got tiring a decade or two ago.

My thanks to the moderation team, trying to make this a better place for Pentaxians.

02-16-2023, 08:19 AM - 3 Likes   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think any of us should be surprised at Pentax's direction. They have been doing what they have been doing for several years. If you need a waterfall of new tech-heavy projects to hit the market, maybe going to Sony or Canon might work better.

If you are OK with solid cameras with excellent image quality, good ergonomics and interesting functions (pixel shift, astro tracer, etc) combined with stellar optics, then you can make out pretty well with Pentax.

The nice thing is that these financials seem to indicate that they are making money with this approach, even if it isn't the flashiest way to go about it.
02-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not being surprised does not mean being happy. And people who are expecting waterfall of new gear will be the ones who replace us as majority of customers before newest generation of eko-oriented, use as long as possible and recycle oriented customers will replace the waterfall ones

Yes, it is nice thing to see that Pentax is, at last(?) earning money and this was kept for longer time then just a quarter. I'm waiting for yearly report and of course for CP+ (I know, Pentax wont be there) and possible announcements around this time.
02-16-2023, 09:00 AM - 4 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The problems on this forum aren’t unique.

One problem is that a considerable number of people feel if they say anything on the Internet it becomes a fact and that is not the case.

Another problem is some people feel they are victims if we don’t accept everything they say as gospel.

Also some people feel they are victims if you do something differently than they would.

02-16-2023, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote

One problem is that a considerable number of people feel if they say anything on the Internet it becomes a fact and that is not the case.

Another problem is some people feel they are victims if we don’t accept everything they say as gospel.

Also some people feel they are victims if you do something differently than they would.
Well, if you discover a cure for "people on the internet," let me know. I'm always excited to hear about solutions for the world's problems...
02-16-2023, 09:14 AM - 3 Likes   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

True enough. We welcome robust, friendly discussion. No issue there. Even criticism is fine -- after all, nothing and nobody is perfect -- as long as it's constructive and polite. But relentless whining and brand-bashing is a waste of everyone's time and attention, and rudeness is simply intolerable. So we have a tough assignment, and we appreciate members calling questionable or unacceptable posts to our attention (hard as we try, we simply cannot be everywhere all the time). We deal with them as appropriate. Thanks to all who have participated constructively in this thread.
02-16-2023, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #82
JPT
Pentaxian

This is the point in my opinion. Some people feel frustrated if most people don’t agree with them. They just keep making the same point over and over, thinking that if they just get the right combination of words, we’ll all be convinced. It’s this repetition that wrecks threads and discussion of anything that doesn’t address their agenda.

The irony in this case is that the individual concerned was pretty irrational in his arguments even in the time he was positive about Pentax. It’s just that he found it easier to get agreement back then.

02-24-2023, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #83
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Over the past 3 years, Pentax has released one new camera, and one slightly updated camera... four new lenses, three updated lenses, and one modified third-party lens.

We've also gotten the new GR IIIx and its accompanying teleconverter.

I bet that if you calculated a ratio from units sold with models introduced, Ricoh is competitive with any of the mainstream brands.
Pentax only releasing 1.5 new cameras and a handful of lens is likely what a camera brand needs to do nowadays in order to stay above water or maintain a small profit. Of course I'm keeping this statement i context of the entire camera industry which certainly has been a pond of water that seems to keep getting smaller. Some companies, like Nikon, have layed off workers and shut factories in order to get to a point where they produce less product(s) from smaller operations...
02-25-2023, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
Sooo... Pentax is doomed?
This line of thinking is never wrong, and hasn't been wrong for at least a decade.

Last edited by robgski; 02-25-2023 at 04:48 AM.
02-25-2023, 06:01 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, if you discover a cure for "people on the internet," let me know. I'm always excited to hear about solutions for the world's problems...
I certainly don’t claim to have a solution to this problem!
02-25-2023, 06:05 AM   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
True enough. We welcome robust, friendly discussion. No issue there. Even criticism is fine -- after all, nothing and nobody is perfect -- as long as it's constructive and polite. But relentless whining and brand-bashing is a waste of everyone's time and attention, and rudeness is simply intolerable. So we have a tough assignment, and we appreciate members calling questionable or unacceptable posts to our attention (hard as we try, we simply cannot be everywhere all the time). We deal with them as appropriate. Thanks to all who have participated constructively in this thread.
You are absolutely correct- nothing and nobody is perfect.

And polite and constructive discussion is great-it can help make things better.

But as you said relentless whining isn’t a positive especially when it is just an expression of ego.
02-25-2023, 07:52 AM - 3 Likes   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But as you said relentless whining isn’t a positive especially when it is just an expression of ego.
I've found the forum's "Ignore" feature to be invaluable in the case of commenters with a trend of relentless and often repetitive behavior, or with threads that have a similar tone.

More snappin', less yappin'.
02-25-2023, 09:03 AM   #88
Pentaxian

You are absolutely correct- nothing and nobody is perfect.

And polite and constructive discussion is great-it can help make things better.

A repeated comment can be a repeated expression of need.
One time I expressed disappointment at the failure of the KF to have a modern processor, which resulted in someone’s saying I should just stay with my KP, so I repeated the fact that I’ve found the KP to have problems with focusing on fast-moving moving trains.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
More snappin', less yappin'.
Sometimes, difficulties in “snapping” will call cause me to “yap”.

I am reducing my posts to a lower level - “yapping” less - now.

Last edited by reh321; 02-26-2023 at 10:45 AM.