Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 78 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2023, 10:06 AM - 5 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a word to the wise, people. Some of us are walking right up to the brand bashing line. That line just got a whole bunch wider.
Please keep this in mind when posting to this and other threads if you want to keep contributing to them.

02-12-2023, 02:52 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
But I suspect that constant negativity actually has negative impact.
^^^^^ This. ^^^^^^
02-13-2023, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

So, uh, any news about that rumoured tele zoom lens with image stabilization?
02-13-2023, 03:44 AM - 6 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
So, uh, any news about that rumoured tele zoom lens with image stabilization?
Start a thread if you don't find an appropriate one. This is concerning a mount exchange.

02-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Fair enough.

This reminds me of Leica's "la carte" program, where you could order personalized M series camera. You could pick vulcanite/leather type and color, set of framelines, put personal signature as engraving on the top plate. Looks like Pentax is trying something similar, except also hoping for extra interest due to limited supply.

Leica's La carte program was discontinued few years ago.
02-14-2023, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny thing, the only place I ever hear about these things is this forum, so not peeved by it at all. If the Japanese Pentaxians like it, it’s no skin off my nose. I remember a gold plated LX they liked too.
02-15-2023, 05:35 PM - 7 Likes   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
It doesn't matter if its a different division, or 3rd party, Pentax/Ricoh have to pay someone, some branch for all this stuff.
I mean, this just shows a lack of business sense.

They are mods to existing products, sound financial practice, because they are sold direct to the customer just like Ricoh said it was going to do - abandon bricks and mortar shops in the internet age as a waste of time and a 50% markup to us, the customers.

There is no effort to them making these, they are recoatings of an existing part, and they have no bearing on the spreadsheet modelling of future products, they don't even compete. There's no marketing cost, I didn't see a commercial during the Superbowl advertising them.

If larger companies don't learn how to cope with low volume sales models, they will join Olympus in exiting the market, and Nikon, Panasonic and Fuji pivoting away from cameras.

Kawauchi-san in his interview on future products did not even mention these things, they're accessories. The whole batch of 100 you're flustered over could have left the factory in the backpack of a bicycle courier.

You always have a higher markup on merch and add-ons and accessories than the original products in any industry, that's the idea of them. And it's outsourced, just like T-shirts for a band.

So that bloke from J-Limited (he has a good relationship with Pentax, he's reportedly an ex-employee) probably proposed turning a five euro part into a 250 euro product.

All 100 will sell to cashed up blingy Japanese collectors, it's taking candy from a baby, Eddie!

Last edited by clackers; 02-16-2023 at 04:00 PM.
02-16-2023, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hasselblad has done similar gold versions, and I think Nikon as well!
03-05-2023, 10:39 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tord Quote
Hasselblad has done similar gold versions, and I think Nikon as well!
They made good versions, even Ricoh, … when Hasselblad sold bodies in different colors they basI ally went out of business - sold ti dji who taught them electronics.
J Limited tries to add some value to a camera that is in use. I like the idea, but for me I see no advantage or must have feeling.

---------- Post added 05-03-23 at 06:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Pentax isn't the only manufacturer that "tarts their cameras up".
That’s so 70s/80s
03-05-2023, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
J Limited tries to add some value to a camera that is in use. I like the idea, but for me I see no advantage or must have feeling
...........and that is fair enough. As someone who firmly believes the only important thing is the image produced, this is not exactly my cup of tea either. But if it sells product, then great.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
That’s so 70s/80s
Nothing wrong with those eras.
03-06-2023, 01:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no ill will at all about the selling of these items, but I can't figure out that if it is just for the Japanese market, why is everything in English?
03-06-2023, 01:54 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have no ill will at all about the selling of these items, but I can't figure out that if it is just for the Japanese market, why is everything in English?
What I don't get is a customized mount that is only seen with the camera is without a lens. I never carry my cameras without lenses on them. The custom hot shoe is another story, though I haven't bought one, at least it can be seen. I suspect these 100 mounts will sell out in the Japanese market and earn Ricoh/Pentax/J-Limited a few more yen than they would have earned if they had not offering them. No doubt that's a good thing.
03-06-2023, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
but I can't figure out that if it is just for the Japanese market, why is everything in English?
Temptation; the allure of the unreachable.
04-05-2023, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Temptation; the allure of the unreachable.
Camera underwear...
04-05-2023, 07:20 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it is an interesting scheme to have a third-party company tied in with the OEM to increase interest.

And by having J Limited do all the work, it keeps the main company free to do their own things with minimal distraction.

I don't think I'm terribly interested in most of the "camera underwear" to a large extent, but I'm glad they are doing it, as it does increase interest.
I would like it if they expanded their range a bit, either by including some of their stuff in other markets or by having international shipping from Japan more easily available.

I think there's room for Pentax to be a niche brand with an excited fanbase internationally, not just in Japan, and I wish they would push that a bit.

But I know, small steps

-Eric