Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 272 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2023, 03:31 AM - 3 Likes   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The thing is, if the Photo Rumors guy really had access to that magazine, I’m sure he would have put much more emphasis on the other manufacturer interviews. Basically all Japanese manufacturers got the same treatment, with a multi-page interview.

Anyway, when I put the effort into these summaries, I try to keep in mind all the good natured people who read them, and not focus on the people trying to take advantage or just want to whine. I’m sure there are lots of people viewing silently, who are put off engaging because of a few negative individuals who take over every thread.
What you do is appreciated. Most of the rest of us don't have access to the Japanese information that you do and it is helpful for us (well, most of us) to understand a little better the mind set that they are working with moving forward.

02-13-2023, 04:17 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

And now the Pentax Rumors guy has has copied my whole post into his site, minus my disclaimer that my understanding was not 100%.

I feared that might happen, and Pentax Rumors doesn’t disappoint.

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel hesitant to post in the first place.
Issue him a takedown notice.
02-13-2023, 04:29 AM   #78
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Issue him a takedown notice.
Well, at least he linked back here where he found it. It isn't a big deal. Soon it'll be off the top page and forgotten.
02-13-2023, 04:48 AM - 3 Likes   #79
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m sure there are lots of people viewing silently, who are put off engaging because of a few negative individuals who take over every thread.
I rarely post in these threads, as I have little to add, but find your posts to be informative on what's going on in Pentax world. Thank you for all you have done and I do hope you keep on posting your reports.

02-13-2023, 05:55 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
That is a fantastic image. Recently, I saw an abstract backlit image used for a wall size print for a front desk at a corporate headquarters. That image must be 10 ft. tall and 15 ft. across. I think your image, inspired by nature, would have looked a lot better and much more interesting.
That image is once in the 14 years thing. Usually the day sun melts them, this one stayed all day and then filled in overnight. Some time in the next few weeks we'll get to see how the print turns out.
02-13-2023, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

Interesting to hear the Pentax guy defending the flip screen.
The flip screen (or lack thereof) is the ONE thing I don't like on the K-3 III. I find myself reaching for each all the time. The Pentax iteration is fantastic, I'd just like them to find a way to tilt it 90° when shooting vertically.

Why the panelists criticize it is beyond me.
02-13-2023, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The flip screen (or lack thereof) is the ONE thing I don't like on the K-3 III. I find myself reaching for each all the time. The Pentax iteration is fantastic, I'd just like them to find a way to tilt it 90° when shooting vertically.

Why the panelists criticize it is beyond me.
The panelist looked for something different from what they use and criticize it. The thing being, if you haven't used it, it seems unnecessary, if you've learned to depend on it, it's essential.

02-13-2023, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #83
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, at least he linked back here where he found it. It isn't a big deal. Soon it'll be off the top page and forgotten.
Actually, he put a link to a magazine, but the wrong one.

The magazine that actually contained the interview is this one.
Web?????

He linked to old editions of a different now defunct magazine called "Camera"
02-13-2023, 08:31 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They asked for my work, I never delivered.
You should. This is a nice and unique image and anything in the same genre is going to be marketable. I am doing something similar with a different abstract subject matter and the response has been positive. I think your image has more potential than mine as it is of an actual natural subject.

---------- Post added 02-13-23 at 07:40 AM ----------

This is the kind of thing that makes me feel hesitant to post in the first place.
Please do not stop reporting. Plagiarism is rampant and apparently no one cares unless you are a big time newspaper or magazine with a team of lawyers ready to sue. Pentaxians who read your posts know you and read your comments here first. PentaxRumors like the others such as NikonRumors and such are mostly clickbait sites and I for one do not give them much credence.

---------- Post added 02-13-23 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Where do I think cell phones will be in five years? Incrementally better than where they are now,
That is true of the phone part of the cell phone. However, we are talking about the image making part, namely the camera. It looks like the camera hardware guys are busy with more than incremental changes. Who know? We shall see if they are successful in retiring small sensor cameras. I think 1" and micro 4/3 are definite targets. APSc and FF might safe for a while!
02-13-2023, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote

That is true of the phone part of the cell phone. However, we are talking about the image making part, namely the camera. It looks like the camera hardware guys are busy with more than incremental changes. Who know? We shall see if they are successful in retiring small sensor cameras. I think 1" and micro 4/3 are definite targets. APSc and FF might safe for a while!
We are seeing camera manufacturers preparing for it. Low end ILC cameras are gone and lens quality is going up. It'll be just like the good old days where you had the option of a P&S or move upscale to a " real" camera.
02-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1" sensors are coming to the smartphones. Very soon.
02-13-2023, 03:42 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
1" sensors are coming to the smartphones. Very soon.

There are couple of steps before a 1 inch sensor.

A one inch sensor requires much more distance between the sensor and th back and front elements.

It doesn't look much like a phone.

Current Apple sensors aree 20% bigger that the traditional 1:3.2, That would make them about 1:2.6
My Optio WRS were 1:2.3

There are three sizes between 1:3.2 and 1 inch. Wouldn't they move to 1:2.3 first? Even then, I suspect they have to make the phone thicker.

Last edited by normhead; 02-13-2023 at 03:49 PM.
02-13-2023, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Current Apple sensors aree 20% bigger that the traditional 1:3.2, That would make them about 1:2.6

There are three sizes between 1:3.2 and 1 inch. Wouldn't they move to 1:2.3 first? Even then, I suspect they have to make the phone thicker.
Google and Samsung and maybe others are already using 1/1.3" sensors. The Samsung S23 Ultra is 0.35" thick while the iPhone 14 Pro Max is 0.31".
02-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

There are couple of steps before a 1 inch sensor.

A one inch sensor requires much more distance between the sensor and th back and front elements.

It doesn't look much like a phone.

That's what I was thinking too. How thick will the phone need to be to accommodate a 1" sensor? The push in cell phones at the moment seems to be to make them thinner. A 2 cm thick phone probably won't fly with the cell phone crowd.
02-13-2023, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #90
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This phone is on the market with a so-called one inch sensor.

The images look quite nice. Leica has worked with Sharp on the phone and included settings to simulate some of their lenses in terms of field of view and bokeh characteristics. I like that the images don't have that overprocessed look.

Image from this review ??????5G????LEITZ PHONE 2?????????? - ???? Watch[Sponsored]

It's only available from one carrier, Softbank in Japan, as far as I know.

Exclusive to SoftBank Corp. in Japan, ?Leitz Phone 2? Brings the World of Leica Photography to Smartphones - SoftBank News. Bringing IT closer to home.

Last edited by JPT; 02-13-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Closed Thread