Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 87 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2023, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The signal to noise ratio of a place like DPR is far worse
The software I've used for years now to write, Ulysses (III now), once had a forum by the makers. They closed it years ago - unmanageable.

03-02-2023, 05:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
FYI, the Head of Marketing for Ricoh Imaging in Germany is present in the German Pentaxians forum...
What's his username? What's yours? I'm in Germany and trying to learn German, so I have been visiting that forum lately.

Last edited by jcdoss; 03-02-2023 at 06:52 AM.
03-02-2023, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting comments.

I remember a while ago the President of Pentax America used to visit Pentaxforums, and even organised a few giveaways.

A few years later I met the person responsible for North American marketing at a photo expo, great guy, helpful and knowledgeable. His sidekick at the show knew less than I did about his products.

It's true that Pentax has always been Japan-centric. That shouldn't prevent it from also looking at, and catering to, the rest of the world where the biggest market is. The two are not mutually exclusive.
03-02-2023, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
What's his username? What's yours? I'm in Germany and trying to learn German, so I have been visiting that forum lately.
He's "Pentax PM", I'm Jee on Pentaxians, but less active than here at the moment.

03-02-2023, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's true that Pentax has always been Japan-centric. That shouldn't prevent it from also looking at, and catering to, the rest of the world where the biggest market is. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Indeed. But the previous guys from RI (directly or losely) relly didn't get a warm welcome here.
Their fault ?
03-02-2023, 03:49 PM - 13 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
All,

OP here.

I'm not having any concern about participation and listening to the board that others are. As pointed out, business is conducted very differently in Japan vs. US/EU. Please also remember that the folks I was talking to, English is their second or third language.

The simple fact that they took the time out their busy day to engage with some random guy who walked off the street on a Monday morning talks to the desire to understand a brand user. It probably helped build a little credibility since I was sporting the quirky combination a K-1 II with a M-series 20mm f/4.0 and asking a lot of questions.

My day job is doing Marketing Research for brands all over the world. It's super clear to me when leadership has genuine passion and curiosity surrounding both users and fans of their brand. It is expressed in many different ways. This was one of them. I walked out the door with the confidence that this team is serious about doing something wonderful.

Just observations from a hobby photographer.
03-02-2023, 03:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Lovely post. Thanks.

03-02-2023, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
The software I've used for years now to write, Ulysses (III now), once had a forum by the makers. They closed it years ago - unmanageable.
Yeah, I think real market researchers will tell you that forums are not worthless, but next to it, because they're outlets for unelected vocal minorities with one axe to grind or another.

Pentax have chosen trusted, skilled, experienced minorities for advice and testing.

If some DPR poll says one thing, but Kobayashi-san insists another, there's no contest.
03-03-2023, 06:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Indeed. But the previous guys from RI (directly or losely) relly didn't get a warm welcome here.
Their fault ?
I wouldn't know about that, but I would certainly hope Pentaxforums remains a welcoming community.
03-03-2023, 08:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I wouldn't know about that, but I would certainly hope Pentaxforums remains a welcoming community.
IMO it is, for the most part. But I would not be surprised some could feel otherwise.
03-03-2023, 08:56 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I think real market researchers will tell you that forums are not worthless, but next to it, because they're outlets for unelected vocal minorities with one axe to grind or another.
Pentax Forums certainly contains a lot of useful information. The articles and reviews are generally focused and many members consistently add to the knowledge base. However, the forum discussions are frequently random and wandering -- useful and interesting, but it's often a challenge to draw definitive, actionable conclusions on specific subjects.

Imagine, for example, a Ricoh Imaging person trying to sift and understand the community's reaction to, say, the FA 43mm Limited, autofocus issues, or the K-3 Mark III's absent "flippy screen."

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-03-2023 at 12:24 PM.
03-03-2023, 09:38 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Pentax Forums certainly contains a lot of useful information. The articles and reviews are generally focused and many members consistently add to the knowledge base. However, the forum discussions are frequently random and wandering -- useful and interesting, but it's often a challenge to draw definitive, actionable conclusions on specific subjects.

Imagine, for example, a Ricoh Imaging person trying to sort out and understand the community's reaction to, say, the FA 43mm Limited, autofocus issues, or the K-3 Mark III's absent "flippy screen."

- Craig
They would produce a K-3iv that would differ only from the K-3iii in having a KP-like flipping screen - and not bother putting effort into a K-1iii - since people obviously use a K-3 as a ‘Field Camera’.
03-03-2023, 07:09 PM - 2 Likes   #28
JPT
Pentaxian

Speaking of TKO, can anyone identify which camera is being shown at the rear center of this image? It's an image from TKO's twitter of the J-Limited display at a Pentax meeting in Osaka this weekend.

I think it is most likely an old film camera that he wants to display, similar to the special edition 67II you see at the bottom of the page. Somehow, it looks more like an old Ricoh SLR than a Pentax one.

The other things are all models that have already been displayed at other events, some produced and some just mockups. The exception if the weird white/camouflaged K-70. I don't think my eyes have been abused by that one before.

Incidentally, the blue and white K-1 II models are not for sale, but at the last online meeting, TKO was talking about using those colors for the forthcoming K-3 based J-Limited 03 variant.

---------- Post added 03-04-23 at 02:12 AM ----------

I want to be clear that I don't think this is a prototype of the new film camera. I think it is just showing an old camera and asking customers, "What would you think of something like this?"
03-03-2023, 09:31 PM   #29
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JoelA Quote
The simple fact that they took the time out their busy day to engage with some random guy who walked off the street on a Monday morning talks to the desire to understand a brand user. It probably helped build a little credibility since I was sporting the quirky combination a K-1 II with a M-series 20mm f/4.0 and asking a lot of questions.

My day job is doing Marketing Research for brands all over the world. It's super clear to me when leadership has genuine passion and curiosity surrounding both users and fans of their brand. It is expressed in many different ways. This was one of them. I walked out the door with the confidence that this team is serious about doing something wonderful.

Just observations from a hobby photographer.
Thank you for taking the time to report your experience Joel. Like you, I take the interaction you had with Ricoh Pentax team as a very positive indication.

Ross
03-04-2023, 03:38 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Speaking of TKO, can anyone identify which camera is being shown at the rear center of this image? It's an image from TKO's twitter of the J-Limited display at a Pentax meeting in Osaka this weekend.

I think it is most likely an old film camera that he wants to display, similar to the special edition 67II you see at the bottom of the page. Somehow, it looks more like an old Ricoh SLR than a Pentax one."

Not sure which camera you are refering to, but there is a Pentax LX right of center rear....

BTW That green K-1 looks great.