Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 216 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2023, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the new pentax camera fits into the same style and marketing as this godox ’senior retro flash’:
retro looks, semi auto (sensor but no p-TTL), modern and vintage at the same time.

I am sold...

03-17-2023, 03:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
"At our company, we still have the materials under control, so we put the old blueprints into CAD (designing using a computer) and make them 3D, and we are working to create reference data for the design"

I like the fact they're using the old blueprints & 3D printing them to use as a reference, much cheaper for them in the long run, especially if they're making tweaks to the design of the camera for any sort of "updates/changes" they might do.
03-17-2023, 04:29 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I disagree that "manual winding is hard work" ... it was simple and effortless on my Spotmatic. Can't say I'm in the market for a new film camera (I have several, including a K-mount ZX50, with auto-winder) but manual film advance would not deter me if I wanted this camera.
03-17-2023, 05:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
I think the new pentax camera fits into the same style and marketing as this godox ’senior retro flash’:
retro looks, semi auto (sensor but no p-TTL), modern and vintage at the same time.

I am sold...
When our daughters were young `- perhaps thirty years ago - I used this Vivitar {the nameplate has long since fallen off} "specialized for Pentax" 'auto' flash {if I remember correctly. it reported itself to my "Super Program", which changed the shutter speed to 1/60 and reported in the OVF that a flash was present}. Now I used it to photograph our daughter and her new daughter using my Q-7. Yes - it was "a stunt" - but my daughters thought it was 'neat' For my next "stunt" I plan to photograph her with both the "Super Program" and the flash. I would expect it to work with the new camera also.

Last edited by reh321; 03-17-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Fix grammar
03-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I disagree that "manual winding is hard work"
I am with you Julie.

Calculating the value of Pi to 20 decimals, or trying to walk my three dogs at the same time is difficult.

Moving a film advance lever a few centimetres....not so much
03-17-2023, 05:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What I'm hoping for is something in the form factor of the K2 with design elements from the LX - interchangeable grips and viewfinders YES PLEASE!

Automatic film advance is fine with me just as long as they make it as quiet as the Konika Hexar AF. If there is a manual advance lever that could override it, that would also be quite a useful idea for those who have a more hands on approach to photography.
03-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
What I'm hoping for is something in the form factor of the K2 with design elements from the LX - interchangeable grips and viewfinders YES PLEASE!
A full "camera system" might be a lot to ask, but they did say something like that they ultimately were going to make a high-end SLR. (If they make it that far)

03-17-2023, 08:45 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
A full "camera system" might be a lot to ask, but they did say something like that they ultimately were going to make a high-end SLR.
We are already seeing Fuji photographers gleefully festooning their cameras with accoutrements* such as custom leather half-cases and exotic wood parts for their cameras. Pentax would do well with making a modest camera system with a vintage camera design aesthetic, they could make a small fortune on making similar accessories.

* some of which having questionable ergonomic function..

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-17-2023 at 08:56 PM.
03-17-2023, 09:23 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I noticed also in some of the photos, one guy had a film *ist with a DA40 XS on it. I have a couple of that same configuration.
03-18-2023, 01:05 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
In this case I’m not going to summarize it in my words. I wan wasn’t very happy about the way my last summary was copied and misinterpreted last time. You can use your translator of choice for this one.
Then there are those of use who give you a like and really appreciate the information you find out, the news you share, and the way you take the time to report shows, clubhouse and other Japan specific Pentax activities.

Thank you again JPT for the time and effort you put in, and your willingness to share that with this community.

I am keen to see what the Pentax film project produces, and wish them every success.

Ross
03-18-2023, 02:29 AM   #26
Pentaxian

manual wind - the thing that annoyed me in film time...

---------- Post added 03-18-23 at 02:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I disagree that "manual winding is hard work" ... it was simple and effortless on my Spotmatic. Can't say I'm in the market for a new film camera (I have several, including a K-mount ZX50, with auto-winder) but manual film advance would not deter me if I wanted this camera.
depends on camera - anyway - to put film and press button is much better

New film camera could be interesting, let it be...But to launch such camera in current economical situation is a bit freaky...IMO

My sixth sense hints me that camera is not for all markets. Non-Japanese customers will buy under special order.

Last edited by borisII; 03-18-2023 at 02:37 AM.
03-18-2023, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This seems to me to be a low risk endeavor. Release one product at a time, if it sells well then move forward with the next one.

The big thing is really the feel of the camera. Folks who are shooting film are doing so, not because of the features of the cameras, but because they want the tactile experience that such shooting and even developing the film demands. Release something plasticky and with bad ergonomics and it will fail. But I'm guessing Pentax has a decent feel for what will work and will have a success on their hands.
03-18-2023, 03:50 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This seems to me to be a low risk endeavor. Release one product at a time, if it sells well then move forward with the next one.

The big thing is really the feel of the camera. Folks who are shooting film are doing so, not because of the features of the cameras, but because they want the tactile experience that such shooting and even developing the film demands. Release something plasticky and with bad ergonomics and it will fail. But I'm guessing Pentax has a decent feel for what will work and will have a success on their hands.
I had shot with films for 25 years and I don't know among my friends who did it for tactile experience We did it for result.
03-18-2023, 03:57 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by borisII Quote
I had shot with films for 25 years and I don't know among my friends who did it for tactile experience We did it for result.
Sure. But people who still shoot film today when there are thousands of digital options available to shoot with aren't just doing it for results, although there is a specific look that film offers that digital emulators can't capture. They do it because they like something about the slowness and the process of shooting film that they don't get with a Fuji or Nikon or even a Pentax digital camera.
03-18-2023, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I noticed also in some of the photos, one guy had a film *ist with a DA40 XS on it. I have a couple of that same configuration.
I laughed at this, as I had just been out shooting with my *ist and DA40XS

In terms of film winding, there is manual wind, and there is good manual wind...
Winding like the little knob on my PC35? Ugh, no, give me a motor. Winding like my MX or a Leica M6? Yes, please... Even my SuperProgram wound pretty well. I'd be OK with that.
While I'm certainly OK with auto wind, I get the attraction of a smooth mechanical task as part of picture taking.
I would expect it to be coupled, however, even on the "compact", none of this 1950s-style shutter separate from the advance...

For any eventual SLR, I do think a full system is too much to expect, but I would expect grips and other small accessories to be part of the plan. In my experience, the Japanese love that kind of customization, and I think it would have appeal outside of Japan. I am very curious what kind of functional accessories would be available for a camera like that...
And I would not be surprised at some level of customization of the compact as well, even if only through a selection of "special editions" like the GR has.

-Eric