Photos: Gallery
Interview with Ricoh Imaging president Noboru Akahane

Interview with Ricoh Imaging president Noboru Akahane

Interview with Ricoh Imaging president Noboru Akahane - Pentax & Ricoh Rumors

03-20-2023, 12:48 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DC.Watch published an interview with Ricoh Imaging president Noboru Akahane – here is the Google translation:
????????????????????????????????????????????? - ???? Watch

“Rebuilding” Ricoh’s camera business

The camera industry has been greatly affected not only by the shrinking digital camera market but also by the decrease in the number of people due to the Korona-ka. Nowadays, there is a shortage of semiconductors, and there is no doubt that the situation is severe.

However, President Akabane is aware that there are voices of such anxiety, and is there a possibility of withdrawing from the business? I dismissed the author’s question.

President Akabane is from a bank, and after taking over the management of Ricoh Imaging in 2012, he left Ricoh Imaging and re-pitched last year. When human resources are sent from financial institutions to rebuild their businesses, it tends to be a “storm of truncation”, especially in business areas with high hobbies.

However, while trying to streamline the organization, Mr. Akabane allocates management resources in the direction of strengthening the ties between brands and users supported by deep-rooted fans, and by clarifying his position in the camera industry, Ricoh Imaging’s Strengthened the business foundation.

The decision to close Ricoh Imaging Square after re-climbing is not a negative decision, he said.

“Since the shrinking market size is due to changes in the business environment, we cannot control it by ourselves. It is certain that Ricoh’s camera business is at a major turning point, but we are not looking to withdraw from the business. What we are trying to do is change the “shape of the camera business” in order to sustain the camera brand in the new market environment (Mr. Akabane). ”

However, among the camera brands handled by Ricoh Imaging, the needs for businesses are deep-rooted for THETA, and the decision has already been made to change the direction of the camera mainly as a professional camera.

On the other hand, with regard to PENTAX and GR, we will promote aggressive reforms with the aim of fostering brand value. To put it in simple terms, it would be DX (digital transformation) in the consumer camera business.

Seeking a new form of fan community

President Akabane is aiming to recreate a community where PENTAX and GR fans will grow the culture of photography and cameras together with the manufacturer Ricoh Imaging, based on the modern market environment, the Internet, and the smartphone environment. That is.

For example, it can be said that the place that doubles as a gallery, showroom, repair reception, etc. such as Ricoh Imaging Square was a place where manufacturers and users, or photographers who create works gather and interact.

However, as the market as a whole shrinks, it becomes difficult to secure a large space in a convenient location. In terms of location, there may be some debate as to whether only one location in the country is sufficient.

In that case, it is better to create a community through the Internet by the manufacturer itself in line with the modern society where smartphones have become widespread and use Internet services on a daily basis, and actively participate in it from a perspective close to the user. It stands to reason.

However, it is not a story of not creating a “base” at all.

It is said that it has begun to build a new type of base that matches the present age surrounded by digital media and network technology. At the moment, it is said that it is not possible to provide a clear location, but the name is “PENTAX Clubhouse” and the nearest station is Yotsuya Station. The opening is said to be in the summer, so details will be announced in the not too distant future.

“Ricoh Imaging Square follows the style that was born 40 years ago. When relocating, we will incorporate new ideas for renewal rather than relocation as it is. Everything from the beginning of the opening We cannot include it, but we will make the name a new place where manufacturers and users can create value together (Mr. Akabane). ”

To reform that makes use of the voice of fans

“It’s not really that difficult to grow sales as the market expands, but currently, the strategy of expanding the sales scale itself doesn’t work well. First of all, for those who purchase Ricoh Imaging products. Next time, we will make you choose PENTAX and GR. If we can strengthen the engagement with customers and increase the number of people who like our brand and like it, the photos around it. We can strengthen the user base, including those who like PENTAX. On the premise of growth, we decided to change the idea of ​​selling products to people who do not know Ricoh’s cameras (Mr. Akabane). ”

Both PENTAX and GR are brands that have been supported by small but deep-rooted fans and users who sympathize with those products. Picking up the voices of fans who are the core of such a brand and utilizing them in product development and marketing is the aim of President Akabane’s reform of Ricoh Imaging.

Then, what kind of efforts will be taken to change the entire Ricoh Imaging? The opening and renewal of the Ricoh Imaging Square PENTAX Clubhouse is only a small part of it.

“I think that those who are enthusiastic fans in the midst of the market not expanding are those who understand and share the unique value of the products we have created. Those people, that is, the same feeling. We will create products that can share values ​​with colleagues who share the same values. Although it is not possible to create individual products for each user, it should be a “workshop” that delivers products to people who understand the values. This is the basic idea (Mr. Akabane) ”

Aiming for a “co-creation environment” that integrates manufacturers, users, and distribution

Ricoh Imaging has also promoted distribution reforms at the same time.

The camera business, especially the interchangeable lens camera business, has major distribution problems. While there are camera specialty stores around the world that have close connections with users in each region, sales have recently changed to online sales.

Ricoh Imaging is also changing its business form to have direct contact with consumers through the Internet. As the market size becomes smaller, it is indispensable to actively introduce DTC (Direct to Consumer) in order to emphasize the connection with users and form a community.

“Actually, when we announced the new business plan for Ricoh Imaging, the camera distributors who took care of us asked us,” Do we not use it anymore? ” It’s difficult to interact with all distributors in the same way as before. However, camera stores play a very important role in strengthening connections with users. Not “which distributor”. , GR, PENTAX, and retailers who have close relationships with fans of each brand, I definitely want to create a market together. It is important to have a co-creation environment that integrates not only manufacturers but also users and distribution. Will be (Mr. Akabane) ”

Weaving a story that is particular about “one accessory”

At the moment, we will create a community space on the net where manufacturers themselves can participate, and while users themselves also participate, we will create a “story” where PENTAX, GR, and peripheral accessories will be born.

For example, even if it is a camera strap, it is created assuming the actual use while kneading the camera to be combined and the scene to be used. The reason for this design is that everyone around the brand is trying to create a product that makes you feel the story behind it.

“Every camera seems to be pointing in the same direction, and each product is made with a different idea. Many years of PENTAX users see PENTAX products with values ​​that only they can understand. We will dig deeper and share it to create next-generation and next-generation products with workshop-like values. ”

President Akabane admits that the trend for interchangeable-lens cameras is rapidly moving toward mirrorless cameras, but he says that it is in such an era that he is “sticking to the value of single-lens reflex cameras.” The only thing that a small manufacturer can do is up to that point, but no matter how big the mainstream becomes, there is value and a role that exists in the sidestream.

“The image you see with your own eyes. The image you see and feel the natural air and light. I think the advantage of a single-lens reflex camera is that you record that light directly. Because you can believe that feeling. I want to pursue a PENTAX camera with people who sympathize with the pursuit of SLR cameras when specializing in photography rather than convenience and video functions. ”

President Akabane, who says so, does not seem to be a financial man who came from a bank to rebuild his business. However, originally, the manager should look at the “main business” of the company, face the main business head-on more than anyone else, and concentrate on increasing the value of the main business.

In that sense, the direction of refining the main business and looking for a way to survive in it may not have the great power to renew the industry, but it can be said to be one way of life as a camera manufacturer.

“If you have a talent for painting, you can embody what you feel beautiful with your talent and technique. But if you have a tool called a camera, you can express it without artistic technique. Light and air. By sticking to the single-lens reflex that captures, anyone can participate in art. I think so. “
03-20-2023, 12:55 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

For everyone's information, that was posted last July in Pentax Rumors. It remains a somewhat opaque message due to translation problems and abridgement, and perhaps the interviewer not knowing how to use follow up questions to clarify statements.
03-20-2023, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those who might be interested in a detailed discussion, the interview was covered in a long thread shortly after it was published: Interview with Ricoh Imaging president about new strategy - PentaxForums.com

It might be interesting to hear members' current impressions, since some time has passed since mid-2022.

- Craig

03-20-2023, 01:57 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is almost a year

For me, despite my not very positive comments in lens threads, I think that all in all Pentax and Ri deliver what they promised. I also still think, that they are too concentrated on home market, meaning that most of customers (current or potential) don't have a chance to see and experience this revolution.

Rebuilding web presence (hey, even Polish RI site was rebuild, that was a shock ), more active presence on YT (shorts) and more and more subtitled videos are showing clear trend. It is still hard for non Japanese to follow RI and Pentax in internet, but it is getting better. Slowly, very Pentax-like, but yeah.

Delivery of products also show that Pentax and RI thinks how capitalize on what they have. I mean egg GRIII and KF are best way to show "we are here", while still giving something new, interesting and at little cost for manufacturer. I suppose RI does well with following interest in GR series, sadly (again) nothing abroad of Japan other then simple product availability.

Then information about film camera and all in all we have a clear view of brand that aims for simple pleasure of using their products. I mean KF is fun to use, light, ergonomic, pretty(!) camera. Sadly not many colors to choose from, but I suppose we will see more special editions. Same for GR that is now mostly about special editions. Such small details may attract customers that are more brand loyal then the usual bunch of gimme more MP and banana tracking! who will jump from brand to brand how youtubers tell them.

I still have my reservations about K-3 Mk III and KMount ecosystem from modern PoV (nothing against legacy lovers), but I think Pentax will make it better in time. I suppose we have chance to see and be part of brand renewal, even if in form of small, niche brand. I wonder were it will go.

If there is any wish I could make in vain hope of it ever reaching Pentax and RI management is to have some sort of "Pentaxians" events in EU, similar to GR meetings in Japan and so on. In general for RI and Pentax being more proactive in Europe. Not from advertising or professional photographer point of view, but from events aimed at hobbyists.
03-20-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Partly because of the Pentax ‘film project’, I’ve been making increased use of older Pentax lenses. I have always felt that Pentax has incredible wealth in the old M42-mount and K-mount lenses. I suspect people who value the modern values may never be satisfied with what Pentax provides, but Ricoh may find increased approval by looking to the old values. One thing in particular they may want to look at is making manual focusing easier / more accurate.

Last edited by reh321; 03-20-2023 at 04:47 PM.
03-21-2023, 03:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW I am sort of freak who likes to watch YT channels showing food stalls etc in Japan. Good way to learn new dishes. Anyway, westerners (not talking about people here) are often laughing at the "We pursue a level of quality and performance that can’t be measured by numbers alone." from Pentax principles. I realized that Japanese people who are talking about food in those movies often comment and I suppose complement dishes by saying something like "dishes have special flavor that cannot be explained by taste" or something in that manner.

I suppose the "not measuring by numbers" has more meaning for people in Japan then in the west.

03-21-2023, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #8

Thank you for posting this interview/article. I truly think Pentax/Ricoh are missing a great opportunity to make an amazing comeback in today's camera market. They really need to analyze markets outside of Japan and Europe. There is a growing need for basic, rugged, dependable camera gear that can't be found in products made by Canon, Nikon or Sony.
03-21-2023, 07:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Partly because of the Pentax ‘film project’, I’ve been making increased use of older Pentax lenses. I have always felt that Pentax has incredible wealth in the old M42-mount and K-mount lenses. I suspect people who value the modern values may never be satisfied with what Pentax provides, but Ricoh may find increased approval by looking to the old values. One thing in particular they may want to look at is making manual focusing easier / more accurate.
I think we've forgotten how good screens such as what they put into the LX were. Focusing screens for AF cameras are not optimized for manual focus. Katz Eye, for example, made pretty good bank selling good manual focus screens to users of DSLR cameras who wanted to be able to use MF lenses.
03-21-2023, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
BTW I am sort of freak who likes to watch YT channels showing food stalls etc in Japan. Good way to learn new dishes.
Fellow freak here, I too watch these. FWIW, I forwarded one to my daughter and son-in-law, both domestic sorts of people and cooks, and they loved it. And so did my 18 month old grandson who was "enthralled" according to my daughter, and has watched it multiple times.
QuoteQuote:
Anyway, westerners (not talking about people here) are often laughing at the "We pursue a level of quality and performance that can’t be measured by numbers alone." from Pentax principles. I realized that Japanese people who are talking about food in those movies often comment and I suppose complement dishes by saying something like "dishes have special flavor that cannot be explained by taste" or something in that manner.

I suppose the "not measuring by numbers" has more meaning for people in Japan then in the west.
Any westerner with even a cursory acquaintance with traditional Japanese arts, crafts, or culture in general understands this. It's why I reserve some skepticism about western style testing of lenses and such. The only conclusions that can be definitively drawn from tests are about what was tested, not what wasn't or couldn't be. We should bear this in mind when we view any kind of polls as well, political or otherwise.
04-14-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I suppose the "not measuring by numbers" has more meaning for people in Japan than in the west.
This may be the kind of concept we try to explain by using such terms as “fairy dust”?
04-14-2023, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This may be the kind of concept we try to explain by using such terms as “fairy dust”?
Not necessarily, particularly as such explanations ("fairy dust") suggest something unknowable, or pejorative. This is a cultural thing, REH. Maybe it would help to read Clavell's "Shogun", for a glimpse into Japanese norms.
07-08-2023, 08:24 PM   #13
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Maybe it would help to read Clavell's "Shogun", for a glimpse into Japanese norms.
Loved that book.
07-09-2023, 02:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snegron1 Quote
There is a growing need for basic, rugged, dependable camera gear
Really?
07-09-2023, 05:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Not necessarily, particularly as such explanations ("fairy dust") suggest something unknowable, or pejorative. This is a cultural thing, REH. Maybe it would help to read Clavell's "Shogun", for a glimpse into Japanese norms.
Yes. Japanese culture is steeped in aesthetics in a way a lot of western culture is not. And in aesthetics one runs into a lot of ineffable aspects and even concepts in all cultures. Just because something can't be quantified doesn't mean it's not there, and maybe there in abundance. Love is an excellent example.