Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you need predictive AF, switch systems. I'd never use any of the current Pentax DSLRs for sports seriously, especially if you get paid for it (sounds like the OP does). I'd honestly look for a used Canon 1Ds though...better predictive AF than Minolta IMHO...

12-31-2008, 07:13 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
Yeah but some of us do shoot static scenery and we like our affordable Pentax's - so why don't you outlay your extra cash on a Canon 1DsMK111? Sort of getting tired of being told I'm a fanboy or I'm defensive if I happen to like my camera the way it is - and I'm still on the *ist DS.

Geez it's like smoking (everyone knows it's bad for you by now) if you don't know by now that Pentax doesn't have the fastest AF you must have been living with your head in the sand - if you shoot sport for a living you need a faster & predictive AF system but here's the kicker - YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR IT!!! Take a look at the price of the canon 1dsMK111 and work out how many K20d's you can buy for the same money.

They may develop a faster AF so you can find something else to moan about and they may not - but whatever they do I just hope they continue to make the best value for Dollar cameras & lenses around and let us common shooters of static scenery enjoy our cameras.
You're missing the point. I am not looking for $5000 performance from a $1000 camera, I'm looking for comparable AF performance across other $1000 cameras. I suspect the OP is trying to do the same comparison.

Last edited by user440; 12-31-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: verbiage
12-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

They may develop a faster AF so you can find something else to moan about and they may not - but whatever they do I just hope they continue to make the best value for Dollar cameras & lenses around and let us common shooters of static scenery enjoy our cameras.
You are absolutely right. The K10D does as well as the A 700 in moderate light and static images. The old prime lenses makes it a great buy. If you want to shoot events the A 700 and old Minolta lenses gives you the best bang for your buck. There is no sense in gripping about what Pentax does not have.

Reading between the lines of the latest interviews from Hoya I suspect AF improvement is not as high a priority as other features. My guess is anybody looking for a superior static image body is going to be a happy camper by the end of 2009. Will the AF be improved? Maybe, maybe not. That is not Pentax's target market.
12-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
You're missing the point. I am not looking for $5000 performance from a $1000 camera, I'm looking for comparable AF performance across other $1000 cameras. I suspect the OP is trying to do the same comparison.
Nailed it It should do what the competition does. Sony's not in a great position financially and hasn't been for a while but they still manage to develop a camera like that, and the A900... and A200, A300 and A350 all being on the market at once. And let's face it, all Sony did was buy Konica-Minolta's tech and run with it... and Pentax has been making cameras for 50 years. It's called evolving with the market.

There's some very good things about the Pentax system, some that should have been fixed and forgotten about by now.

12-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
Actually, an A700 with 16-105 is $520 more than the K20D with 16-45 at DCW and as well as the extra reach, there's a superior (if lower resolution) 12.2MP CMOS, 5fps, longer reach, VGA res 3" screen...
Your reading paper specs, and that 12.2 mp sensor is in no way superior to the k20D's. Granted the fps and AF tracking on the sony is better but trust me after you use the sony for anything other than sports you'll wonder why you bothered with it.
12-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Your reading paper specs, and that 12.2 mp sensor is in no way superior to the k20D's. Granted the fps and AF tracking on the sony is better but trust me after you use the sony for anything other than sports you'll wonder why you bothered with it.
Hmmm, So you are saying if I take the same photo with the A 700 and K20D with equal lenses and print them to , Oh say 16 X 20 I'll be able to tell which came out of which camera? HA HA HA.
12-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Oh, except for, um, noise (A700 noticeably better, and a useful ISO200 base sensitivity) and dynamic range (MUCH higher resolving power in highlights), less prone to hot pixels...

12-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #23
RaduA

The curse of Pentax (obsolecence of some internal systems) could be also its future blessing meaning they will adapt the same new AF system on both the high end and middle range (K300D) for a faster recoup on investment. I also think that K300D will take the K-m's shutter system (minimum 3.5 fps if not more). I have no doubt that Pentax engineers can make a competitive AF system just like Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus did before them. It was just a matter of underfunding and lack of both strategy and boldness.

Just my 2 eurocents,
Radu
12-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Oh, except for, um, noise (A700 noticeably better, and a useful ISO200 base sensitivity) and dynamic range (MUCH higher resolving power in highlights), less prone to hot pixels...
So then why in the world do you still own Pentax? Dump that crap and switch to Sony and be happy.

I can't really complain about the AF on my K20d. It isn't perfect and will sometimes hunt in low light (depends on the lens) but it rarely makes me miss a shot. The light primes and the iq that I get more than make up for any perceived AF deficiencies. But that is my needs.

The a900 is getting rave reviews, though people are faulting it for not having particularly good high ISO performance. The IQ is first-rate though. I never really looked at any of the lower Sony stuff. The real Zeiss lenses are great but very heavy. For what I do I certainly wouldn't want to lug them around but everyone has different needs. The trick is finding the right camera for your real needs. I do get the impression however that for some the need is to fufill some spec sheet battle as opposed to actually get pictures. But for others, they do need really fast/accurate AF and 8 fps. Thankfully I'm not one of them, and instead need a workable system with great iq.
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

There are only really two things to consider when looking at the problems of the OP. the first is user error and the second is faulty equipment. Both of these can be fixed without blaming Pentax for AF problems. I shoot a lot of sports so I bought a 1DmkIII. I keep the k20D for everything that I am not getting paid to shoot with the 1DmkIII. Having considerable experience with both I would say that shooting static objects the AF is not noticeably faster. maybe its not noticeable because I don't care how long it takes to focus on a static object - but the speed and accuracy of either system is not noticeably different. In low light with the 16-50 lens the Pentax is as good or better than the Canon. In fact the ONLY thing the Canon gives me that makes it worth having is predictive AF. In virtually every other way I prefer my Pentax.

I may be the first person in the world to publically state that I prefer a K20D over a 1DmkIII but it just shows that individual appeal of each piece of equipment. It seems to me the OP prefers the Sony system so I think they should just make the switch and be happy again.
12-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thing is, I've gotten to the point where the K10D's focusing attempts seem absolutely feeble. With a 16-45 at wide angles, most of the time, it can't even resolve focus and keeps trying to push the lens past infinity, so I have to twist the focus way back the other way before it even manages to figure out how to get the horizon in focus.

I've tried a K20D with my Sigma 70-200, it's a little better at tracking but still slow and none too accurate.

Now... I've had a play with Sony's A700, and that does a stunningly good job WITHOUT the need for sonic-drive focusing in terms of both speed and accuracy.

So - will the K30D actually have any improvement in AF performance?
As someone else pointed out, go with the Sony and be happy.

To my knowledge, there is no one on this board who works for Pentax, and can answer your question about new products, nor discuss your dissatisfaction with your camera. I'm not even sure if they know this board exists. If you are really concerned, why not write Pentax about it?

Or were you just bitching to see what kind of response you'd get?
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

predictive AF system but here's the kicker - YOU HAVE TO PAY MORE FOR IT!!! Take a look at the price of the canon 1dsMK111 and work out how many K20d's you can buy for the same money.
Well except a Nikon D40 at $400 is faster and has better predictive AF. Or you can really splurge on a $500 D60. I know the restof the camera is a different story but it puts into perspective just how far Pentax has fallen behind in trerms of refinement of it's AF system.

If the D90 was a little smaller and if Nikon had something like the 77/1.8, 21 pancake and the in body IS ... well .. i'm there.
12-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Well except a Nikon D40 at $400 is faster and has better predictive AF. Or you can really splurge on a $500 D60. I know the restof the camera is a different story but it puts into perspective just how far Pentax has fallen behind in trerms of refinement of it's AF system.
If it was remotely true, perhaps.
12-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Well except a Nikon D40 at $400 is faster and has better predictive AF. Or you can really splurge on a $500 D60. I know the restof the camera is a different story...
That would be the rub.
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
Inactive Account

The question still remains - "What are you still doing here?" Are you some sort of nutter who gets off on putting other people down and have a need to ensure everyone knows you are superior because you can afford a more expensive camera?

Do you go on Ford sites and tell them about your Ferrari as well?
Just buy your Sony and be happy.