Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, in fact we're a bunch of masochists that uses cameras which won't do the job
Now wait a minute... you're talking about the *istD? Are you aware that's the first Pentax DSLR, a 2003 model? The Rebel XT itself is a 2005 model, and we know the AF systems are improved in time (as many other characteristics).
Man, you made me laugh here. I DO have more keepers using my istD, camera that was indeed released and purchased in 2003, then using my 1 y.o. K10D.

That's the f***ing irony of modern Pentax, That's why every other discussion here is about AF.
Or, BTW, high ISO noise, metering and flash metering are also MUCH better with istD.

01-02-2009, 04:51 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Man, you made me laugh here. I DO have more keepers using my istD, camera that was indeed released and purchased in 2003, then using my 1 y.o. K10D.

That's the f***ing irony of modern Pentax, That's why every other discussion here is about AF.
Or, BTW, high ISO noise, metering and flash metering are also MUCH better with istD.
Maybe you're comparing a good *istD with a defective K10D?
And btw, high ISO noise and metering are already improved on the current flagship. While I doubt the *istD AF is faster or more accurate
01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1)Canon 5D
2)Canon 1Ds mark III
3)Fuji S5
4)Nikon D200
5)Nikon D3
6)Nikon DX3
7)Oly E-3
8)Oly E-30
9)Oly E-410
10)Panny L10
11)Sigma SD14
12)Sony A 700
13)Sony A900
01-02-2009, 05:12 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Maybe you're comparing a good *istD with a defective K10D?
And btw, high ISO noise and metering are already improved on the current flagship. While I doubt the *istD AF is faster or more accurate
How many of this bad K10Ds are out there? I think more then good ones, at least I've seen plenty in NYC stores and I've read plenty posts from not happy owners here and on DPReview over the years.

istD is not faster indeed, (in fact it is the slowwwwliest DSLR I've ever used) but it is at least accurate, and it is staying accurate for almost 6 years now. I personally choose accurate AF and meetering over fast and sloppy AF anytime.

01-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
There is nothing wrong with sending a strong message to a manufacturer, but a forum is a poor place to do it. Spend the postage and send them a personal letter. Believe me, it gets a LOT more attention. It shows a commitment in your beliefs and opinions.
Well said, Tom. However, I guess we need to keep in mind that some OP's and replies are not aimed at actually illuminating the path to an improved product; rather they are targeted at some other objective related to forum culture and interaction, which is something else all together.

Frankly, I've complained (without rancor) in more useful threads about the tenative AF of my Pentax cameras, but the fact is - frequently supported by examples on the "Post Your Photos" section of the forum (as well as in some previous replies here) - that in the right hands these cameras can capture spectacular action pictures. Further, I think it is unlikely that simply changing cameras will elevate an inept sports photographer (and I include myself in that group) to a crackerjack NFL, NBA or Formula 1 photojournalist. Old guys like me can remember that people were proficient at action photography long before not only AF but also before auto exposure.

By the same token, I think it's not unreasonable to believe that cameras with exceptional AF capabilities could make action photography easier for those already adept at the practice - nor is it unreasonable for Pentax customers to ask for bodies with AF prowess comparable to that of their competitors. But - as you say - ask where the question is effective.

In the final analysis, if the nature of Pentax AF is a deal breaker for some, then their path is obvious, and has nothing to do with posting messages on forums.

Jer
01-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #81
Pentaxian

awo425:
So, your K10D is indeed defective - then repair it! Complaining about it here won't solve anything...
And I doubt the K10Ds you saw on NYC stores are all defective - most probably, they are on sale. Yes, there is a difference
01-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #82
Veteran Member

My buddy is a pretty successful photographer, all things considered, he does weddings, he shoots for publications, he's on the Panthers sidelines every Sunday, so when he tells me that he shoots weddings on his D300 at ISO1600 exclusively and can pull it off w/o a hitch for print or otherwise, while I on the otherhand avoid it like the plague, well that doesn't exactly make me smile.

01-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #83
Veteran Member

I played with a D700 today, and left not wanting to sell my K20d. In part because I didn't like the ergos and it didn't fit my hand well (which can be important to some people, seeing as though you're going to carry the thing sometimes for hours on end). The AF is quicker and certainly more silent than my K20d (with a non SDM lens), but it seemed to have some FF issues (indoors). Hmm, where have we heard that before...

The bottom line is that it is pretty well accepted that Pentax is a notch below Canikon wrt AF. How big that notch is tends to be the question. But arguably Pentax is ahead of Canikon when it comes to IQ (comparing apples to apples), and Canikon certainly doesn't have the equivalent of some of the ltd primes (size, weight, cost, quality). So like any other tool purchase, there are compromises and you have to decide what your priorities are.

But making sweeping generalizations and whining on and on aren't about anything other than...ill-informed whining. "But my buddy's camera..." or "I read on DPR..." or "the tests show..." And in the end, I have to wonder how many of the "problems" that get posted on the interwebs are in fact operator error. How many times do you see someone complain about something being "broken" only to have it pointed out that if only they had read the manual they'd know how it functions.
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
My buddy is a pretty successful photographer, all things considered, he does weddings, he shoots for publications, he's on the Panthers sidelines every Sunday, so when he tells me that he shoots weddings on his D300 at ISO1600 exclusively and can pull it off w/o a hitch for print or otherwise, while I on the otherhand avoid it like the plague, well that doesn't exactly make me smile.
So, I have heard of photographers using all sorts of brands for weddings as well as different camera/lens brand combinations - including, now sit down for this, PENTAX. I really fail to see what your point is.

Do you want to be a Wedding Photographer but feel your equipment is inadequate?
Or do you just feel you are an inadequate photographer due to your equipment?
01-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #85
Veteran Member

awo425:
So, your K10D is indeed defective - then repair it! Complaining about it here won't solve anything...
And I doubt the K10Ds you saw on NYC stores are all defective - most probably, they are on sale. Yes, there is a difference
Defective? Nope, I think it is what it is.
I am not complaining, this camera long gone. I decided not to deal with all this issues. I will use istD for the next few month of 2009 and see where Pentax is going with design, QC, plans, etc. I have a few prime lenses that I see myself using in the future with istD, or maybe even k2000, but I do not see myself investing further into Pentax system in it's current state. I am not buying cameras to have them repaired.

Last edited by awo425; 01-03-2009 at 12:02 AM.
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Defective? Nope, I think it is what it is.
I am not complaining, this camera long gone. I decided not to deal with all this issues. I will use istD for the next few month of 2009 and see where Pentax is going with design, QC, plans, etc. I have a few prime lenses that I see myself using in the future with istD, or maybe even k2000, but I do not see myself investing further into Pentax system in it's current state.
Have you shot a K20d? I briefly owned a K10d but didn't care for it. I tried the K20d when it came out and I've been impressed since then. In my hands, a significant upgrade/difference between K10d and K20d. Not sure why you'd want to buy a K2000...that to me doesn't make sense as an "investment." But depends what you want/need.
01-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #87
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

1)Canon 5D

I said it my self this one could of got close to 1%

2)Canon 1Ds mark III

They don't sell this kind of cameras in the stores who reported the data, if you don't believe me check for yourself. The top Canon camera sold is 1D M3

3)Fuji S5

0.1% tops?!

4)Nikon D200

Again one camera that may of made close to 1% in the whole 2008 although it was replaced by D300 back in 2007

5)Nikon D3

see point 1)

6)Nikon DX3

Too late of a launch to make any impressions in top. Look at 50D a much more sellable camera and present on the market 2-3 months earlier it made just 2%. So, 0.1-0.2% is more likely

7)Oly E-3

You're kiddin' right? I seldom saw this in top 80 of any week and spots from 70 to 80 fetch under 0.1%

8)Oly E-30

Again this is a one month camera ...

9)Oly E-410

the E420 was on the market from April if I recall correctly, so let's say 0.5% for the E410 tops

10)Panny L10
11)Sigma SD14

These 2 are made in 10K numbers each, now seriously Ken look at 0.1% market share Pana had last year ...

12)Sony A 700
13)Sony A900

Again once more this is both low volume and late comming but I grant a 1% to both models although A700 was behind K20D most of the year nevertheless it was sold all 51 weeks that count on this top.
Total (of course guesstimate): 5% and there still are 2% unaccounted for and 4 Pentax cameras outside of any statistics.
In the end Ken, I don't really care much about numbers and even if I did there is nothing I can do about. I just wanted to say that there is more than a superficial look at a pie chart and a prompt scream of: "Pentax is doomed!"

Just my 2 eurocents,
Radu
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #88
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Responses...

That's the f***ing irony of modern Pentax, That's why every other discussion here is about AF. Or, BTW, high ISO noise, metering and flash metering are also MUCH better with istD.
That's what I felt, too, when I first tried the K20D. I was expecting to be blown away in every respect, especially speed and AF. I was very dissapointed with the speed and accuracy of the camera, which is why I still haven't bought one. The handling was about the same as the *istD. It does LOVELY pictures when you can shoot slow in great light, amazing, in fact. Probably the best in it's class when it was announced. In low light, you might as well get an A50 f1.2 and manual focus - sorely lacking.

How many of this bad K10Ds are out there? I think more then good ones, at least I've seen plenty in NYC stores and I've read plenty posts from not happy owners here and on DPReview over the years.

istD is not faster indeed, (in fact it is the slowwwwliest DSLR I've ever used) but it is at least accurate, and it is staying accurate for almost 6 years now. I personally choose accurate AF and meetering over fast and sloppy AF anytime.
Yup, it's SLOW. But as he said, at least it's accurate without sending it in for repairs right from the factory. I've stopped being an early adopter of ANY digital technology, a lesson hard learned at the hands of the evil empire, Micros***, back when my computer was gang raped and totally destroyed by Windoze 98 SP1. Now, I wait till the bugz are known and wrung out. And I've used a Mac since 1999 - that's one good thing Bill Gates taught me.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Yup, and there's that these days - high ISO performance. Pentax has some serious catching up to do, and I sure hope they do it before Hoya gets tired of the financial hemorrhaging.

Sincerely,
Cameron
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #89
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
...... I sure hope they do it before Hoya gets tired of the financial hemorrhaging.

Sincerely,
Cameron
Interested to see the evidence of this.
Do you have inside information?