Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 76 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2023, 02:31 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming the film camera happens (and I am pretty confident it will) I wonder if we will get a Pentax film. As I am speculating, what would we prefer? Grainy or smooth, contrasty or benign, fast or slow?

05-28-2023, 07:49 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
My absolute favourite though is ilford XP2. It is supposed to be developed in C41 chemicals but I shoot mine at 200 and develop it in ID-11, utterly gorgeous
Be aware that when you process a colour film in B&W chemistry you are not removing the colour couplers and unresolved dyes that the bleach removes in C-41. This does have an effect on image longevity.
05-28-2023, 10:50 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Be aware that when you process a colour film in B&W chemistry you are not removing the colour couplers and unresolved dyes that the bleach removes in C-41. This does have an effect on image longevity.
Yeah I know. That's the down side and it is a pretty major one for anyone who archives negatives. I don't keep mine so I am OK in that regard but it is a very good point.
05-29-2023, 06:11 AM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Online, my local photo store describes some of the modern B&W films as giving a feel sort of like digital. I’m not quite sure what they mean by that - I guess I will understand that after I’ve used each.

05-29-2023, 06:33 AM   #110
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Online, my local photo store describes some of the modern B&W films as giving a feel sort of like digital. I’m not quite sure what they mean by that - I guess I will understand that after I’ve used each.
They're probably talking about tabular-grain ("T-grain") films.

I do, however, think that a lot of folks who use a hybrid workflow - digitising rather than darkroom-printing their films - have a tendency to over-do the post-processing (especially sharpening), and that can lead to digital-like results... or, rather, results that don't reflect the character of the film as much as they otherwise might...
05-29-2023, 07:14 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They're probably talking about tabular-grain ("T-grain") films.

I do, however, think that a lot of folks who use a hybrid workflow - digitising rather than darkroom-printing their films - have a tendency to over-do the post-processing (especially sharpening), and that can lead to digital-like results... or, rather, results that don't reflect the character of the film as much as they otherwise might...
Any idea whether I should expect to see a difference on a, say 2400 dpi, scan? I adjust levels, but little else.
05-31-2023, 05:52 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Assuming the film camera happens (and I am pretty confident it will) I wonder if we will get a Pentax film. As I am speculating, what would we prefer? Grainy or smooth, contrasty or benign, fast or slow?
That's what I am hoping to see ! Remember the Polaroid DIY 35mm processor ? I wished someone in kickstarter will make it a come back, and hopefully someone can come up with an environmental friendly film emulsion that can be processed easily at home, keep day dreaming