Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM   #166
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 120
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K30D will have a bit smaller body dimensions than K20D...
...But maybe, battery grip will be the same and only dimensions of top side of camera will be changed.
white (or whatever) colored and cone shaped Pentax camera will really
BE INTERESTING...

01-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #167
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
K20 is looking to be a non-starter in the japanese market. I oddly suspect it is due to the "Korean" sensor in it... I am GUESSING Pentax will stick w/ Sony for it's next gen cameras in order to fall in line with the home market.
My hypotheses and no way to prove it I guess
The 12MP Sony sensor is certainly a possibility for the K300 but for the K30, would Pentax roll back the megapixels from 14.6 to 12?

Plus I don't think they sold enough K20 to get a good return on investment on this sensor, using it in the K30 and K300 and their Samsung clones for another year and a half might be cheaper than buying sensors from Sony.
01-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #168
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 277
That is unless

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
The 12MP Sony sensor is certainly a possibility for the K300 but for the K30, would Pentax roll back the megapixels from 14.6 to 12?

Plus I don't think they sold enough K20 to get a good return on investment on this sensor, using it in the K30 and K300 and their Samsung clones for another year and a half might be cheaper than buying sensors from Sony.
Sony comes out with a new 14-16mp APS sensor for PMA, don't you think? Sony has technology already in the works called a back illuminated sensor, wherein basically a 16mp sensor could perform about the level of a 10-12 mp sensor as far as noise etc. They already have a sensor built so I imagine this technology will transfer into DSLR's.

They may sell it or keep it in house, dunno. But it seems Sony's semiconductor business would want to compete with Samsung's, so if they can produce a better chip for less for the K30, then it would be difficult for Pentax to say no to it.

However, this is obvious speculation as I have no idea how good the relationship with Samsung is with Pentax.

Carl
01-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #169
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
K20 is looking to be a non-starter in the japanese market. I oddly suspect it is due to the "Korean" sensor in it... I am GUESSING Pentax will stick w/ Sony for it's next gen cameras in order to fall in line with the home market.
My hypotheses and no way to prove it I guess
It will be very surprising if Pentax actually moves downward in the MP department. Besides, the 14.6MP Samsung produced sensor really kicks ass. Why abandon it?

Rob

01-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #170
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
. . . The 15mm is very close to the already existing 14mm. The 30mm is in competition with the 31mm, and the two 35mm lenses already in the line-up. No wonder if Pentax changes poriorities. . . .
I agree with you regarding the 30mm. However, the 15mm would be nothing like the 14mm and is a Limited as well. The 14mm hasn't lived up to its hype to be frank.

Edit: In fact, if they were to pick between the 2, they should dump the 14mm.
01-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #171
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by Adnan EROL Quote
white (or whatever) colored and cone shaped Pentax camera will really
BE INTERESTING...
They already did. Its called the white K-M. It has a penta prism on top.
01-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #172
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 217
I have the K20D. I dont want more pixels. I just want better pixels. Plus no waiting between longs shots. This was a real annoyance especially consider this was a backwards step from the K10D.
01-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #173
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
I'm speaking for myself here, but I think that if Pentax sold a $1500 FF camera with the diaphragm mechanism of earlier non-digital bodies (so that it has open-aperture metering with M series lenses) in it, they would sell shitloads of them. Even with the same old AF and FPS. For me, the bigger sensor would be the only reason to buy it, all else is not important.

01-11-2009, 05:58 AM   #174
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
No, no, no. 1500$? I'll only pay 10 cents for a Pentax camera, they don't deserve more
But of course, it must beat the D3x in every possible way.
01-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #175
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
No one sells a brand new full frame dslr for $1,500

If Pentax made a full frame camera available for $1,500 at PMA 09 in March I bet they'd sell a bunch of them too. However my guess is for $1,500 in 2009 you'll be looking at the minor upgraded K20D launch price instead. I arrive at this number by looking at K10D start at $919.99 and K20D $1299.99.


QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I'm speaking for myself here, but I think that if Pentax sold a $1500 FF camera with the diaphragm mechanism of earlier non-digital bodies (so that it has open-aperture metering with M series lenses) in it, they would sell shitloads of them. Even with the same old AF and FPS. For me, the bigger sensor would be the only reason to buy it, all else is not important.
01-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #176
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 278
Even if they can sell one for $1999 in 2009 or $1499 in 2010, it will sell a ton.
01-11-2009, 07:53 AM   #177
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,413
Samsungian, interesting calculations. Are you saying soon we'll see an entry level Optio at Hasselblad price?
01-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #178
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Colorado USA
Posts: 1,337
Nope. But in 80 days we'll all know: Whats Up

Hey I was taken aback by K20D launch at $1300. Indeed it was part of the reason I bought Canon 5D for $1,750 brand new instead at that very same point in time. Its seems predictable to me that K30D will issue at $1,500. Thats less than both Nikon D300 and Olympus E3 started at. Now since then I did add a K20D for $689.95 in November 2008 so if theres one thing I learned:

Wait 6 months to buy a new dslr and if you need to then wait 9 months instead, do it.

I did and $689.95 for K20D was a very good deal. I'm quite happy with it... at $689.95 delivered.

K30D for $1500 to start and I'm adding a D700 for $2319 instead. Seriously.


QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Samsungian, interesting calculations. Are you saying soon we'll see an entry level Optio at Hasselblad price?
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #179
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Sony comes out with a new 14-16mp APS sensor for PMA, don't you think? Sony has technology already in the works called a back illuminated sensor, wherein basically a 16mp sensor could perform about the level of a 10-12 mp sensor as far as noise etc. They already have a sensor built so I imagine this technology will transfer into DSLR's.

They may sell it or keep it in house, dunno. But it seems Sony's semiconductor business would want to compete with Samsung's, so if they can produce a better chip for less for the K30, then it would be difficult for Pentax to say no to it.

However, this is obvious speculation as I have no idea how good the relationship with Samsung is with Pentax.

Carl
Whatever Sony comes out with at PMA, you can be sure that Pentax won't be the first to get it.

If they go back to Sony, they'll have to wait until Sony's and Nikon's orders are fulfilled... and then they may get some... if they pay enough...


Last year, Pentax indicated that they had put most of their forces to get the new sensor out, leaving significant improvements in the AF department aside.

The only logical move for Pentax in 2009 is to keep this excellent sensor, optimize it in every way they can (improve DR and noise, put a 4 channels high speed one in K30, get the K20's version inside the K300) and put their forces towards the AF.

That could lead to a very nice K30/K300 combo.

Don't forget that when the K30 will come out, it will face direct competition with the D300 that has come down in price towards the €1000 limit: better AF is almost mandatory.
01-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #180
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 174
Maybe they will do one upgrade instead - 21mm

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
IMO the only reason to cancel the DA15Ltd at this late stage is if it doesn't perform well enough to earn the Limited badge. It seems to me that it is very highly anticipated by many here (and not only) and will both round the Limited range to the ultra-wide zone and offer something unique for Pentax.
DA* 30 is much earlier in development and they may opt to slightly revise optically the FA31Ltd in a new mechanical package with ring motor and weather protection plus the new ABC coatings and save time and money.
But again for the 15mm focal length something APS-C only make a lot of sense IMO and I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if this rumor is true.

Radu
Since they have a great 31mm now, I always thought it made more sense to upgrade the 21mm to an APS-C version of the 31mm in terms of optical quality and speed. I think this would be great, assuming that they are really committed to focusing on perfecting the image quality of this format and not going FF. The downside would be that the 21mm would probably be larger.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pma, statement, types
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Rumors Know Pentax fwbigd Pentax News and Rumors 42 03-06-2009 07:55 AM
PMA 2009 - rather disappointing so far... alexeyga Photographic Technique 26 03-06-2009 01:54 AM
pma rumors philmorley Pentax News and Rumors 33 09-21-2008 12:47 PM
Pentax news and rumors - everything goes there Matjazz Site Suggestions and Help 7 04-02-2008 07:17 PM
Rumors confirmed! The new Pentax will be FF! B051LjKo Pentax News and Rumors 7 01-11-2008 04:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top