Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #256

This said. I think it is over prized, and that goes for the rest of the quality tele lenses.

There is a massive demand for quality tele lenses in the Pentax camp. As long the demand is high, they can charge whatever they want, and IMO they are taking advantage of that situation.
I can understand them, but I got to say I have mixed emotions towards this.

01-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #257
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I really can't agree with this equivalence thing. You'll still be get faster shutter speeds with the 50-135 because, as brilliant as the EF 70-200 f/4 may be, it's only f/4.

Where I'm going with this: pricing based on equivalence is not fair. It should just be according the amount of glass and the complexity/quality of the build. (+ a little extra, to make a profit).
It's unacceptable for a non-stabilized lens to be more expensive than a stabilized equivalent, simply because it looks like a bigger zoom on an APS-C body.
Agreed on both points, the thing being that you should also shoot at the same speed and hence, up the ISO on the FF which levels the playing field even further.

As for your second point, I ma OK too: amount of glass, fit and finish are the defining elements for pricing a lens.
01-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Anyway, as I said, if it is an excellent quality 55f1.4, this lens is worth 450 and will be sold at that price point so I guess we are both happy... unless you think it's not enough?
If so, why the new Sigma 50/1,4 is priced at 730 dollars?

Sigma - Lenses
01-14-2009, 05:31 AM   #259
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
If so, why the new Sigma 50/1,4 is priced at 730 dollars?

Sigma - Lenses
That's what I said, look at street prices for this lens: are they at 730$?

No, they are around the 450$ limit and this is fine by me.

01-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #260
Veteran Member

The lens the forthcoming DA* 55mm f/1,4 should be best compared to is the new Nikon 50mm f/1.4G, not the Sigma in my opinion.
01-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #261
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's actually what I did: 70-200f4 on FF vs K20D + 50-135f2.8: equivalent settings (pretty much like a 85f1.4 on FF is equivalent to a 55f1.0 on APS-C... oups! Did I say that out loud?!? ).

As Klika said, the differences in performances are clear but it has more to do with the exceptional quality of this particular Canon lense than anything else and the Pentax lens is priced accordingly to its performances so it doesn't really make Pentax look bad IMO.

Comparisons made with primes show more mitigated results (FA 50f1.4 vs 85f1.8 USM gives very equilibrated results at low ISO for instance and costs are very similar).
The focal length doesn't change on the aps-c sensor, just the FOV. Ever time some one says that, God kills a kitten.
01-14-2009, 07:36 AM   #262
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Which has no point since the DA* is supposedly used on a stabilised body anyway.
Where are you going with this? There's no point comparing a cheaper, more complex lens to a more expensive but simpler lens by design and construction?

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
The prize of the DA* probably ain't stabilized yet. After a year or two this picture might change, a lot.
Let's hope it does, otherwise Pentax isn't going to move too many units out the factory doors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yep. The EF 300mm f/4 IS USM was launched on... 1997? Our DA* is too new. And weather sealed
I hope our DA* will decrease in price soon, otherwise most of we won't be able to afford it this millennium.

The 300mm f/4 should be at around $850, tops.
01-14-2009, 07:39 AM   #263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The focal length doesn't change on the aps-c sensor, just the FOV. Ever time some one says that, God kills a kitten.
Where did I say anything different?

... oh well, cats are nothing but lazy bums anyway...

01-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #264
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where did I say anything different?

... oh well, cats are nothing but lazy bums anyway...
I guess you didn't specify FOV or FL so the kitten lives!
01-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #265
Pentaxian

LOL.

--

cant stop laughing. middle of the night here in Indonesia.

01-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #266
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Seriously, what can we expect?
There will be no FF in 2009, this is clear.
So, what can come?

- better S/N
- better AF
- better life-view
(with contrast AF)
- faster buffer etc.
- more software options
(e.g. define shutter speed for Auto-ISO jump, as in Nikons)

What I don't care about:

- Video
- mudproof 10m
(there's the rumor that Pentax will try to become the "outdoor" brand. Well, I am not so sure if the majority of users needs this. Normal rainproof ok, but beyond that?)
- other gimmicks like GPS etc.

Pentax,
I think there is a market for a very high ISO, 6MP full frame camera.
Think about it ...
Agree with you again..

the K20D with its 14.7MP sensor becomes a brand new higher resolution champ with a larger/faster buffer, improved signal to noise ratio (i.e. cleaner higher ISO's with less smoothing), I would just add one more important minor fix, and that would be a less aggressive lo-pass (Anit-Alias) filter on top of that sensor and one more minor improvement, which would be 14-bit processing engine.

I'm afraid what we'll get instead is a model with built-in GPS and another variation perhaps color of the K2000, and maybe a new K20 body shell that is polycarbonate and fully weather-proof with rubber nubbins and dials.....
01-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #267
Veteran Member

They will make a camera with ability to rotate sensor by 90 degrees using a shortcut button. In such way allowing to shoot in portrait mode just by holding (depending on setting) a button at the left side of the mount.
They will be focusing on features, wich help in picture taking, not such as gps or video, wich might be usefull for some, but does'nt do much when youre trying to get the shot.
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #268
Pentaxian

Who said that focal length thing!!!???!!

01-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Who said that focal length thing!!!???!!

I don't want to tell on anyone but...

... it was thibs!!! (runs for cover....)
01-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Quote
My first impression on reading this was from the "strong outdoors" quote. I think that that means high resolution in good light without worrying too much about the performance indoors at high ISO (most people believe that that's what flash is for).

I also think that "some three types, including minor design change versions, of single-lens reflex (SLR) cameras" could well mean 1 new SLR camera and 2 incremental updates.

Given the above and the "small and light, easily portable" quote, I think the only new camera will be a K-M Super, with better weatherproofing and a higher-resolution sensor. It's a feasible niche for Hoya to go for.

I was hoping for an APS-C K30D with improved autofocus and autoexposure, higher FPS and better high-ISO performance, but I'm not holding my breath.
I disagree about "strong outdoors" given the context of all of the other adjectives in the same sentence. All relate to weather "proofness" and durability. The quote meant literally outdoor proof. Although there may be increases in resolution, this statement does not refer to this. Just one opinion.