Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #271
Pentaxian
er1kksen's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Forestville, NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,684
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
The lens the forthcoming DA* 55mm f/1,4 should be best compared to is the new Nikon 50mm f/1.4G, not the Sigma in my opinion.
Wouldn't it logically get compared to the Nikon AND the Sigma (as well as the canon, sony, and zeiss mf)?

As far as more technical comparisons go, to my knowledge the sigma is a mostly new design with more advanced optics technology than the old standard 50mm 1.4 designs. The Nikon G, I'm not sure, to my knowledge it could be pretty much the same old (very good, but not as good as the sigma, apparently) optical formula they've been using but with motors letting it autofocus on a D40 etc. From what I've heard, the pentax seems to be a new design as well, optimized towards portraiture. So it would make plenty of sense comparing the new DA* to the sigma, I would think. Especially given that they both should be available for k-mount...

01-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #272
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,476
A Nikonian friend of mine has that 1.4G. Very impressive. I'm hoping Pentax's 55 is at least as nice.
01-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #273
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Wouldn't it logically get compared to the Nikon AND the Sigma (as well as the canon, sony, and zeiss mf)?

As far as more technical comparisons go, to my knowledge the sigma is a mostly new design with more advanced optics technology than the old standard 50mm 1.4 designs. The Nikon G, I'm not sure, to my knowledge it could be pretty much the same old (very good, but not as good as the sigma, apparently) optical formula they've been using but with motors letting it autofocus on a D40 etc. From what I've heard, the pentax seems to be a new design as well, optimized towards portraiture. So it would make plenty of sense comparing the new DA* to the sigma, I would think. Especially given that they both should be available for k-mount...
The Sigma may be new but it is a very 'sharp on center, blur on the outer' kind of lenses, following reports I read. Never tried the lens myself, so I can't judge but it has not a very good reputation (neither a bad one).
01-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #274
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,940
“optimized towards portraiture.” Is that another way of saying not so sharp at the corners?

01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #275
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
“optimized towards portraiture.” Is that another way of saying not so sharp at the corners?
or maybe not so great at infinity or near infinity....
01-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #276
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
or maybe not so great at infinity or near infinity....
And optimized for pretty bokeh

But it may be softer in corners, we will have to check I guess, too bad
01-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #277
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And optimized for pretty bokeh

But it may be softer in corners, we will have to check I guess, too bad
I think you have to look at things like comparing the 85 to the 77.. Both designed for different principals. The 85 is considered softer then the 77.
The 55 should not (but it will) be compared to 50 or 55 "normal" lenses. Optically they will be optimized for different shooting expectations. Much like you don't compare a 50 "normal" to a 50 Macro.... but we do...
01-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #278
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
“optimized towards portraiture.” Is that another way of saying not so sharp at the corners?
No, it blacks out the sensor if the model is ugly

01-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #279
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
And optimized for pretty bokeh

But it may be softer in corners, we will have to check I guess, too bad

If it really is a portraiture lens and has awesome bokeh, I'll easily trade and/or settle for a little softness in the corners, and maybe, just maybe a little soft wide open, but it'd better have good contrast all the way through, even wide open. Just a shame, though, that Pentax would develop a brand new portraiture lens and sell it for a premium, and not put in a variable diffusion control, like exists on a couple of the Nikkors.
01-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #280
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Wouldn't it logically get compared to the Nikon AND the Sigma (as well as the canon, sony, and zeiss mf)?

As far as more technical comparisons go, to my knowledge the sigma is a mostly new design with more advanced optics technology than the old standard 50mm 1.4 designs. The Nikon G, I'm not sure, to my knowledge it could be pretty much the same old (very good, but not as good as the sigma, apparently) optical formula they've been using but with motors letting it autofocus on a D40 etc. From what I've heard, the pentax seems to be a new design as well, optimized towards portraiture. So it would make plenty of sense comparing the new DA* to the sigma, I would think. Especially given that they both should be available for k-mount...
In terms of specifications, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is very similar to the DA* 55mm. In terms of price, there might be some similarities too subject to how much the eventual street price of the Pentax will be.

Sure it might be compared to the 50mm lenses from other makes but they differ slightly in specs. The Sigma may be new, design wise but it fares quite poorly in the corners. A good friend of mine who is a long time Nikon user promptly got rid of his Sigma when the new Nikon 50mm G came out. I can personally testify that the new Nikon is a fantastic lens, way better than the older f/1.4 and f/1.8 AF versions. A far better lens for the money, especially when compared to the Sigma.
01-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #281
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
If it really is a portraiture lens and has awesome bokeh, I'll easily trade and/or settle for a little softness in the corners, and maybe, just maybe a little soft wide open, but it'd better have good contrast all the way through, even wide open. Just a shame, though, that Pentax would develop a brand new portraiture lens and sell it for a premium, and not put in a variable diffusion control, like exists on a couple of the Nikkors.
Having variable diffusion control while nice, will elevate the lens price further. I can hear the howls of protest why Pentax is overcharging and frankly speaking I believe the majority of people here aren't prepared to fork out money for the DA* 55mm much less one with diffusion control.

With digital, it is easy enough to replicate diffusion effects in software, which undercuts the need to have such a specialist lens. Even our very own Pentax FA Soft lenses didn't sell in big numbers.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pma, statement, types
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Rumors Know Pentax fwbigd Pentax News and Rumors 42 03-06-2009 07:55 AM
PMA 2009 - rather disappointing so far... alexeyga Photographic Technique 26 03-06-2009 01:54 AM
pma rumors philmorley Pentax News and Rumors 33 09-21-2008 12:47 PM
Pentax news and rumors - everything goes there Matjazz Site Suggestions and Help 7 04-02-2008 07:17 PM
Rumors confirmed! The new Pentax will be FF! B051LjKo Pentax News and Rumors 7 01-11-2008 04:10 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top