Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #76
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I would be one of those. Weathersealing is the first things that drew me to pentax. Of course, it doesn't help much if I can't afford any weathersealed lenses.
Weather sealing has never been much of a problem for me - despite some of the VERY harsh conditions I've worked in with my old film setup. Considering the prices you pay for some of the good Pentax glass, who needs weather sealed lenses?

Tomorrow morning I have a gigs at the beach and golf course. Grab the K200D body with an A series 50mm lens. Plenty of IQ and the lenses are CHEAP.

01-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I understand your logic but they have said the chassis of the K-m will be shared with up coming models. I am guessing either a cheaper listed price or a less serious weather proofing? I would gladly take a smaller body over a weatherproof body. In a rainy day there isn't much light to work with.
I'm still pushing for the weatherproofed body. It gives a feature edge for Pentax, really. And I wouldn't be as concerned to take that weatherproofed DSLR and an affordable sealed lens to the beach or on a boat if ever.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Imho a significant number (though certainly not all) of the people who are clamoring for high FPS and "fast" AF simply want to impress their friends and themselves, and enjoy hearing the "click-click-click-click" of a "motordrive." In other words, they aren't really shooting pictures but just playing with gadgets.

And actually there isn't anything wrong with that. Different strokes. But if that is what is really important to them (and to realize that requires a lot of honesty), then they should buy what makes them happy. And imho Pentax is *never* going to be that company...
Thank you. It's really hard to get that last paragraph across to some people here. I'm happy with Pentax being niche, as long as they continue to produce value-for-money products. Of course, I'm also happy if Pentax becomes a big player, just as long as I don't have to pay "big player" prices, too.

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'll hope for a weathersealed K-m, if it includes the possibility of affordable sealed lenses.
You and me, both. Still hoping for the Pentax equivalent of the Olympus 14-54. Or a big price reduction on the 16-50.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Gold is OK (if I could afford it), but the crocodile skin is not politically correct as of today
You wouldn't dare replace the leather on that LX with something from Camera Leather (as good as their stuff are), would you?
01-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #78
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Weather sealing has never been much of a problem for me - despite some of the VERY harsh conditions I've worked in with my old film setup. Considering the prices you pay for some of the good Pentax glass, who needs weather sealed lenses?

Tomorrow morning I have a gigs at the beach and golf course. Grab the K200D body with an A series 50mm lens. Plenty of IQ and the lenses are CHEAP.
I definitely need a weather sealed lens. The QC problems of the DA star 16-50 stopped me from buying it to go with my K10D. I'll wait as long as I need to to get a reliable copy for a reasonable price. Or maybe Pentax comes up with another, cheaper sealed alternative before that.

There's a lot of outdoors people who really would need an affordable weather sealed body and lens combo. By the way, to exaggerate slightly, beach and golf course are equivalent to back yard and porch in my books...not exactly harsh conditions most of the time.
01-04-2009, 06:59 AM   #79
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
you and me, both. Still hoping for the pentax equivalent of the olympus 14-54. Or a big price reduction on the 16-50. :d

14-54/2.8-3.5
= da17-70/4

01-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ogl, he means weather sealed. The 14-54 is almost waterproof, the 17-70 is almost certainly not (and I don't think anyone wants to test that).

TourDeForce, yes, old pentax glass is often cheap and easy to replace, but I'm less worried about the elements ruining a cheap lens I may have on the front of my camera than I am about a non-sealed lens letting water in through the largest unprotected opening in the expensive camera's body: the lensmount. That's half the benefit of sealed lenses right there, though I'd certainly also like the assurance that I can shoot in driving rain or snow or blowing sand (the kind of conditions that often attract me) and not worry about my nice new zoom lens getting gunked up inside and dying.

Hell, you can dunk an E-3+12-60 in a creek and fire a few frames. I'm not asking for that kind of protection on a budget weathersealed offering, but it's not like they couldn't improve on what they've started with their sealed budget bodies.
01-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Imho a significant number (though certainly not all) of the people who are clamoring for high FPS and "fast" AF simply want to impress their friends and themselves, and enjoy hearing the "click-click-click-click" of a "motordrive." In other words, they aren't really shooting pictures but just playing with gadgets.
A very closed minded view though I agree some want the high FPS for no apparent reason.

What MOST of us whingers want is to strap on a $700 77 limited and to take it to a wedding and manage to get at least ONE FRIGGIN IMAGE IN FOCUS as the bride sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwly walks in.

This is what $hits me to tears, I even pre-focused where I thought i'd fire the shutter but as soon as I asked the AF to hit the spot it f!@#ing shudders and squarks and carries on like a stuck pig ... everythign except lock focus on a snail like moving target with BUCKETS of contrast to work with.

My POS $200 panasonic P+S managed it no less than 7 from 8 times.
01-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
A very closed minded view though I agree some want the high FPS for no apparent reason.

What MOST of us whingers want is to strap on a $700 77 limited and to take it to a wedding and manage to get at least ONE FRIGGIN IMAGE IN FOCUS as the bride sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwly walks in.

This is what $hits me to tears, I even pre-focused where I thought i'd fire the shutter but as soon as I asked the AF to hit the spot it f!@#ing shudders and squarks and carries on like a stuck pig ... everythign except lock focus on a snail like moving target with BUCKETS of contrast to work with.

My POS $200 panasonic P+S managed it no less than 7 from 8 times.
Not closed minded, just reality.

It would appear that you are using the wrong gear for your particular needs and/or shooting style.
01-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #83
Veteran Member

It would appear that you are using the wrong gear for your particular needs and/or shooting style.
Sort of. The problem is that the nearest competing lens is an 85/1.8 from Canikon and jebus they are ENORMOUS. So are their mid range bodies ... i can't take that to a wedding.

I guess this is where the calls for a "fast responsive" small camera come from, we have the lenses to create a great compact system but the smnaller bodies are all neutered.

01-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #84

What I'm most certainly surprised not to see advertised on any DSLR is scripting. My old Kodak DC290, as pedestrian as it is, supports this. I think, if implemented correctly, this could push Pentax into the hands of macro- and science-inclined - particularly if computer-integration is thrown into the package.

Just off the top of my head I can think of a few brilliant uses for this:

1. macro+focus stacking
Instead of manually focusing each slice, why not set the camera up as desired and run a script to actuate the AF motor to take consecutive shots in 1mm (or 0.5mm) increments. Heck, while we're at it, we could program the mirror to stay locked up throughout the process to minimize movement of the camera.

2. high-speed
If I'm not mistaken, most continuous shooting modes on DSLRs involve a full cycle between frames. I imagine that having to flick the mirror for every frame is having quite an effect on framerate. Again, we could script a continuous shooting mode where the mirror is in lockup for as long as the shutter is depressed (also eliminating a lot of movement).

Now, I imagine that there's probably some sort of good reason why this wouldn't work, otherwise someone else would have easily thought of it first.

Also, why must a camera come equipped with every last bell and/or whistle at once? Say, for example, that Pentax were to market its top-end model in a modular fashion - offer it in two versions. The basic pro-level cam could have a single image processor and frame buffer while the advanced one would offer dual processors each with its own frame buffer. They could use the same case and electronics for both, and then offer an upgrade at a slight premium for the basic model.Heck, Hoya/Pentax could even stuff these features into a battery grip instead like everyone else seems to do.

Just my $0.02...
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #85

is this one dead already?

Pentax We have heard talk of a new pro level camera in the works. The next big offering from Pentax is likely to have improved noise levels and include a full-frame sensor from Samsung.

Samsung The company isnít likely to make its own DSLR, as its consumer market is more in the big-box and electronics stores. The company probably will continue working closely with Pentax. A full-frame sensor for a Pentax DSLR is likely in the works.

Such rumors are floating around for more than a year, but the sources are becoming more and more credible. pentaxlive.
01-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Could it be that Pentax starts making their lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts, especially primes and limited's and discontinue their DSLR's.
Just a mad thought.
No SR, WS, Penta-mirror bang for the buck, but spectacular lenses on bodies so many don't have to wine about.
Sounds bizarre .

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-04-2009 at 01:36 PM.
01-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #87
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
Pentax We have heard talk of a new pro level camera in the works. The next big offering from Pentax is likely to have improved noise levels and include a full-frame sensor from Samsung.

Samsung The company isnít likely to make its own DSLR, as its consumer market is more in the big-box and electronics stores. The company probably will continue working closely with Pentax. A full-frame sensor for a Pentax DSLR is likely in the works.

Such rumors are floating around for more than a year, but the sources are becoming more and more credible. pentaxlive.
Ar you talking about this fresh piece of rumour: Pentax/Samsung full frame speculations | PentaxLife

It's only from 16th of June 2008.

Radu
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #88
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Could it be that Pentax starts making their lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts, especially primes and limiteds and discontinue their DSLR's.
Just a mad thought.
I'll actualy encourage Hoya to make cheaper glass and compete with Sigma, Tokina and Tamron on all mounts (including K - mount) thus bringing more money for r&d. The best bet would be that under Pentax brand all lenses would be weather proof (of course this will require some years) and on 3 levels: DA - consumer, Ltds - well we all know what these are and *s as the supreme line for speed. All Hoya branded lenses will be non-w.s. but with Pentax coatings and this would include superzooms like 18-200, fast/cheaper primes and so on. In fact many current Pentax designs are also made by Tokina with their mechanical design and coatings so I cannot see the problem. But I have to be clear I wouldn't like to see the best Pentax designs made in different mounts but only older/consumer ones.

Radu
01-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Could it be that Pentax starts making their lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts, especially primes and limited's and discontinue their DSLR's.
Just a mad thought.
No SR, WS, Penta-mirror bang for the buck, but spectacular lenses on bodies so many don't have to wine about.
Sounds bizarre .
In theory I am OK with it except the lenses themselves are half the problem with AF. The SDM is a joke (too many failures on the 50-135 and no speed improvement) and some of the non SDM lenses hunt like a crazed pigmy.
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #90

Just a mad thought.
Sounds bizarre .
That's also what I believe will happen if Pentax can't keep its dslr business. Tokina+Pentax will compete very well against sigma or tamron.

But then what do we do with all our Pentax mount lenses!?