Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Minor Design Changes

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
For you I guess nothing Pentax will bring won't be "advanced" enough but all the signs point to a departure from the policy of incremental updates. I hope to see two new models with well above features and performance compared to the ones they replace. And yes, that includes a very "advanced" K20D succesor.

Radu

The Pentax statement is clear: only three SLR "versions" including "minor design changes". Sounds incremental. If even the manufacturer's own PR department describes the changes as minor, we can be confident that they'll be minor. Too bad - I had hoped that the first full year under Hoya's direction would be exciting. Well .... we shall see.

And I agree with others on the target market. I'm not sure that there's a enough money to be made selling cameras to all-weather hikers, campers, and special operations forces. I, for one, generally like to stay dry.

I'd settle for a software update to my K10D for better autofocus (not sure that it's a hardware-related problem) and the chance for better noise handling at ISO 800+.

Or maybe I just get the K2000/k-m and sell my K10D here.

Or I could quit complaining/speculating and instead learn photography. That's probably a much better use of my time!

01-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

"including" doesn't means "only"
I'm with RaduA on this, two models, one of them being a very advanced flagship (while not a 1DsMkIII/D3x-killer as some would hope, though ).
And weather sealing and portability sounds like a good thing to me. Why leave this niche (compact, affordable all-weather cameras and lenses) to another manufacturer?
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All I want is a useable high ISO range, pref beyond 1600 and more than 9pt focussing, those are a must for me, faster AF would be nice but not a deal breaker. I've got too much invested in lenses to think about jumping ship so I am really hoping that Pentax comes through with the important stuff and not the gimmicks.

You know what would be sweet, make a super gimmicky model just to appease to those that gotta have the latest and greatest to drive up the revenue, HDMI, AVI, 1080p, built in moon phase and celectial maps with a self rotating base to account for the Earths rotation and can froth your esspresso, and then make a stripped down version that is nothing but a true workhorse for the rest of us. That would be sweet.
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
The Pentax statement is clear: only three SLR "versions" including "minor design changes". Sounds incremental. If even the manufacturer's own PR department describes the changes as minor, we can be confident that they'll be minor. Too bad - I had hoped that the first full year under Hoya's direction would be exciting. Well .... we shall see.

What you quote as the foundation of your arguement is in fact a translation from Japanese or some ideas expresed in English by a non native speaker. And in fact at the end of that report there is a disclaimer warning against errors in translation. So I wouldn't put much base in a word for word interpretation. But they also said literaly that the past/current strategy was bad and I guess that means they won't follow the same path in 2009. Just my wild guess....

And I agree with others on the target market. I'm not sure that there's a enough money to be made selling cameras to all-weather hikers, campers, and special operations forces. I, for one, generally like to stay dry.

Again this is an exageration but the fact that K200D - a medium budget camera lacked any non * (read expensive) lenses that was weather proof is a fact. This is the part they need to adress and in fact this is the meaning of w.s. system I think they are after. All the market data will get them to what the average Joe wants in a medium range camera: Mps, lots of Mps, decent LV, LiIon battery, movie mode, even GPS plus the Pentax trademark of w.s. and in body SR.

I'd settle for a software update to my K10D for better autofocus (not sure that it's a hardware-related problem) and the chance for better noise handling at ISO 800+.

We all now this won't happen in fact I guess even K20D's won't get anymore updates via firmware.

Or I could quit complaining/speculating and instead learn photography. That's probably a much better use of my time!

I think we're exchanging ideas here and in Spring we will see who was right. My bet is that Hoya will try its best to revive Pentax for one simple reason most of us know from the hard way: LBA!
Regards,
Radu

01-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My comment about complaining/speculating was directed at no one other than myself. I've a long way to go before I should have much to say on photography. (But I'll continue to have thoughts about market positioning, direction of R&D investment, need for operating cash flow, etc.)

I enjoy this interchange and hope everyone continues. I'll pour myself a pint and watch as I find time.

Sorry for those who took offense.
01-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What I think needs to be improved in the K20D successor is the back LCD resolution. A 3" 920Kpixel display would greatly improve the checking of the focus accuracy of taken shots. This is particularly critical with MF.

Dan.
01-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
All I want is a useable high ISO range, pref beyond 1600 and more than 9pt focussing, those are a must for me, faster AF would be nice but not a deal breaker. I've got too much invested in lenses to think about jumping ship so I am really hoping that Pentax comes through with the important stuff and not the gimmicks.

You know what would be sweet, make a super gimmicky model just to appease to those that gotta have the latest and greatest to drive up the revenue, HDMI, AVI, 1080p, built in moon phase and celectial maps with a self rotating base to account for the Earths rotation and can froth your esspresso, and then make a stripped down version that is nothing but a true workhorse for the rest of us. That would be sweet.
+1 Bring on the usable high-ISO and faster autofocus.

I don't have the unrealistic aspiration to capture pictures of rottweilers outside at midnight on a moonless night nor am I looking for rapid fire AF so that I can indulge in spray and pray. I don't want to hunt. I love the image quality that is signature Pentax. Give me the workhorse!

01-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Sorry for those who took offense.
I doubt anyone took offense at what you said
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I hope they continue the whole weatherproofing thing. There are more adventerous people out there than you think- all the people who buy Jeeps and Subarus, go climbing, canyoneering, white-water rafting, hiking, or any other sort of activity where moisture may be involved.

Personally I'd love to see a weather-sealed k-m sized body with a weather sealed limited lens- a small, go-anywhere package that I'm not going to worry about getting some salt spray or dropping in the mud in the middle of the Zion Narrows.
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
I hope they continue the whole weatherproofing thing. There are more adventerous people out there than you think- all the people who buy Jeeps and Subarus, go climbing, canyoneering, white-water rafting, hiking, or any other sort of activity where moisture may be involved.

Personally I'd love to see a weather-sealed k-m sized body with a weather sealed limited lens- a small, go-anywhere package that I'm not going to worry about getting some salt spray or dropping in the mud in the middle of the Zion Narrows.

I would be one of those. Weathersealing is the first things that drew me to pentax. Of course, it doesn't help much if I can't afford any weathersealed lenses. Then again, I usually don't have too many problems shooting in mildly wet conditions with my current non-sealed DSLR (an olympus).

Next december I'm making a trip (for both adventure and photography) to Venezuela's Mount Roraima. It's an extremely wet table-shaped mountain, the one the original "the lost world" was based on, and the weather conditions fuel spectacularly unique plant growth and bizzare geological formations that, as of yet, I have found very little good photography of, possibly due to the non-camera-friendly conditions. By then I'll have a K20D, but I don't know if I'll be able to justify $650 for a 16-50.

Maybe I'll just stick my SMC-m 50mm f2 on the camera and seal around the base with some automotive silicone, it's a pretty tight little lens. I can always scrape the sealant off later.

Course, it'd be nice to be able to afford a more flexible setup... come on pentax, you're positioning yourself as both the budget brand and the outdoors brand. Olympus seals their mid-range as well as their high-end glass, you can too (of course, their mid-range glass is often as pricey as DA* glass and only their top body is similarly sealed...). Or better yet, a sealed budget lens. Say a 18-55 II WS and DA 40 Limited WS. WS standing for weather-sealed, of course.
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #26
pdo

please give us better focus and some type of wireless for tether shooting in the studio or events. That would make alot pro jump on the Pentax wagon.
01-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #27
racinsince55

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The guy at Wolf is confused. Wolf and Ritz are closing up most of their stores in NY state and its probably them thats going out.
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer:
How can a poorly paid salesman at Wolf (or Ritz) know what is going on at Pentax/Hoya in Japan? Your guy at Wolf is full of s***.
Today 05:41 PM
I guess some fail to see the humour/levity.
01-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Better read up up Km K2000 before you sell your k10D

Here's Pres of Pentax Blog page and Pentaxian's responses concerning the K2000.

Pay attention to last post before you decide to sell you K10D to buy the lesser K2000. Infact most posters seem unimpressed with K2000, but the last one bought it and he's not very happy.

NED BUNNELL: K-m (K2000) Body Comparisons

I agree "Minor Design Changes" means just that. If something was lost in translation I'd assume Hoya would correct it? If Hoya doesn't care to correct it and its mis translated then maybe pentax will correct it, if wrong.

You want a software upgrade for your K10D? Then buy a K20D. I love mine.

Or wait for March 3 2009 PMA show to see all these "minor design changes" launch in the marketplace before you get K20D.

I guess in 2 months we'll know what "Minor Design Changes" actually means:

20+mp

Articulated View Screen

5+ Frames Per Second

Dual Card Slots

Weatherproof instead of weather sealed

Full Frame

APS-H instead of APS-C

or maybe instead of any/all above:

More Color Choices

Now That would "Be Interesting", huh?

01-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
I guess in 2 months we'll know what "Minor Design Changes" actually means:

20+mp

Articulated View Screen

5+ Frames Per Second

Dual Card Slots

Weatherproof instead of weather sealed

Full Frame

APS-H instead of APS-C

or maybe instead of any/all above:

More Color Choices

Now That would "Be Interesting", huh?
He forgot one of the design changes:

Nikon logo

Oh, and $2K price increase.
01-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

My wishlist would be 14 mp sensor,51pt AF,high 12800 ISO (with 3200 ISO with no noise),9fps and a better lenses kit .

Is this asking to much MR Hoya Mrs pentax?

cheers