Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2009, 03:09 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Probably more lower end bodies, nothing for the advanced user.
They already have the K-m, that will do. Both the K200D and K20D replacement will step up.

But I believe in a K20D update, and then a model above the K20D update - so not a true K20D replacement, but a model above with the K20D updated in-between. K20D super.

01-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
The Pentax statement is clear: only three SLR "versions" including "minor design changes".
One of the models will have minor design changes (I believe in a K20D Super), the others will be new. The statement means "types of SLR's" or "classes of SLR's". It is as yet unclear what this means, but it could be cameras positioned for three different market segments so I wouldn't really call them "versions" of the same camera.

Since the K-m already covers the entry level, we can add popular class (K200D replacement) - advanced/enthusiast (K20D Super) - semi pro/pro (KxD?). So, here we have new cameras for three types or classes of DSLR's for 2009.

Last edited by RMabo; 01-03-2009 at 03:20 AM.
01-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Just a thought: if you guys want Nikon performance, expect to pay similar Nikon prices.

I just want Pentax to have competitive specs and performance, but not class-leading. Class-leading means paying extra for those features (and not just extra - class-leading means premium pricing), and that's not why I went Pentax in the first place.

Or if Pentax does release a fully-loaded, class-leading camera, I hope they all put that in one model, but release more modest upgrades for the Kxxx line (better performance, competitive, but not class-leading). That way, they can charge a premium for the uber-camera and appeal to power shooters like some of you while still remain appealing to amateurs like me with a value-for-money camera.

And I also hope for that consumer-level weather-sealed lens like what Olympus has with their 14-54 gem.
01-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Just a thought: if you guys want Nikon performance, expect to pay similar Nikon prices.
I agree. When I bought my GX-10, there was nothing else in the price range which had anywhere near the features of this camera.

Even now, the Canon 50D and Nikon D300 don't have the level of environment sealing which this camera does - and they are way more expensive.

I would love a faster and (sometimes) more accurate autofocus, but the last SLR I owned was a Practika BC-1, so the GX-10 is heaven.

01-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I'd be happy with a bright and large viewfinder.

(I should have never looked through a D3 ;-))
01-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Not possible since it will be weather sealed, but perhaps they can trim it down a little if they shrink the circuit board a ka the K-m and removes the top panel and the left mode dial. But as small as the K-m - no, don't think so.
I understand your logic but they have said the chassis of the K-m will be shared with up coming models. I am guessing either a cheaper listed price or a less serious weather proofing? I would gladly take a smaller body over a weatherproof body. In a rainy day there isn't much light to work with.
01-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #52
Pentaxian

No, they didn't - and no, they can't use the K-m chassis (no room for a lot of things a high-end camera need). But they can reduce cameras in size.

01-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
I'd be happy with a bright and large viewfinder.

(I should have never looked through a D3 ;-))
My friends that use the latest whiz-bang FF cams regret looking through my ME Super
01-03-2009, 09:38 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I'm sorry but I can't find a statement that the whole lineup will be weather sealed, rather that Pentax will re-introduce themselves as makers of weather sealed and rugged cameras. I interpret this as that all the new cameras that will be introduced this year will be weather sealed, but that the K-m will stay as it is. I don't believe in a weather sealed K-m - adding weather sealing to this little wonder would mean it has to be bigger.
idk, my friend's little Olympus Stylus SW is fully waterproof and solid, and it's one of the smaller compacts I've played with. They might have to use somewhat different construction tactics, but I'm confident they can make a sealed DSLR the size of the current K-m or smaller.
01-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
Well just because the AF system and the FPS speed is much better than the current Pentax offerings and it would be very nice to have.
Especialy the faster AF unit would help me a lot with shooting a lot in very low light which I do a lot in disco's at party's.
AF speed is only useful if it works; look at the enormous amount of discussion about the Canon EOS D1 III / EOS D1s III "autofocus disaster" out there. (Sure, it's fast; accurate is a different problem...)

Me, I think the speed is fine; focus confirmation goes off very quickly when manually focusing, even in dim light. What's not fine is the ability to get a focus lock on a moving subject or a dark on dark (black cat on a dark blue blankie) subject. (The ability to adjust the focus of the lens is mostly dependent on the lens; not, strictly, the problem of the AF module in the camera.)

So I think the AF speed, strictly speaking, in the K20D is fine; what needs work is an actual continuous focus mode (something than cope with the bird feeder swaying back and forth in the wind, say, even if not necessarily with a race car or a downhill skier), first, and secondly, something that can cope with less contrast between subject and background.

Continuous shooting, well, I've never used it. The obvious long-term solution is to build circuitry that can peel raw images off the sensor continuously when the shutter is open; this is a tougher problem but gets away from the mechanical shutter limits. This is the solution Pentax seems to be interested in, given the 21 FPS reduced resolution version in the K20D. Sometime around the K5D I expect we'll be able to fill the card with raw images at about 30 FPS without either melting the sensor or moving the shutter but the once.

Almost all those images will be pretty awful unless the AF is as fast (extremely dubious on simple feedback loop grounds) and the camera is bolted to something really heavy and stable, but the technical capability will be there.
01-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Graydon Quote

Almost all those images will be pretty awful unless the AF is as fast (extremely dubious on simple feedback loop grounds) and the camera is bolted to something really heavy and stable, but the technical capability will be there.
Imho a significant number (though certainly not all) of the people who are clamoring for high FPS and "fast" AF simply want to impress their friends and themselves, and enjoy hearing the "click-click-click-click" of a "motordrive." In other words, they aren't really shooting pictures but just playing with gadgets.

And actually there isn't anything wrong with that. Different strokes. But if that is what is really important to them (and to realize that requires a lot of honesty), then they should buy what makes them happy. And imho Pentax is *never* going to be that company...
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Imho a significant number (though certainly not all) of the people who are clamoring for high FPS and "fast" AF simply want to impress their friends and themselves, and enjoy hearing the "click-click-click-click" of a "motordrive." In other words, they aren't really shooting pictures but just playing with gadgets.

And actually there isn't anything wrong with that. Different strokes. But if that is what is really important to them (and to realize that requires a lot of honesty), then they should buy what makes them happy. And imho Pentax is *never* going to be that company...
Or they could be action photographers that picked the wrong system. I personally don't AF and FPS that much, so it is the right system for me both feature-wise and price-wise.
01-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Longboarder Quote
... but the last SLR I owned was a Practika BC-1...
That's quite a nice camera actually.
01-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
My friends that use the latest whiz-bang FF cams regret looking through my ME Super
I'm not surprised. Looking through one of those cameras, ME super, MX, LX almost makes me forget I have a camera in front of my eye.
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #60
Inactive Account

I love my K10D's. If I had a wishlist though..it would be for a larger viewfinder. I dont really need anything else. A larger/better LCD screen would be nice too.

c[_]