Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #91
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
This is what $hits me to tears, I even pre-focused where I thought i'd fire the shutter but as soon as I asked the AF to hit the spot it f!@#ing shudders and squarks and carries on like a stuck pig ... everythign except lock focus on a snail like moving target with BUCKETS of contrast to work with.
I have to say I'm surprised; I haven't tried wedding photography, but K20D and the FA 77 will lock focus quite rapidly on walking people, sometimes when I'm walking, too. (Yay shake reduction.)

I do usually have the ISO range tightly restricted and the focus set on center spot for that, admittedly. If the camera is trying to optimize ISO and shutter, it often can't get the focus lock for long enough before one of the other two changes.

01-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Yeah I do the same except I am using the 100D. I'd love a 20D but have this thing about carrying bricks
01-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Could it be that Pentax starts making their lenses in Canon and Nikon mounts, especially primes and limited's and discontinue their DSLR's.
Just a mad thought.
Pentax is about to launch a new set of DSLRs and you're asking if they'll become a 3rd-party maker?
Yep, just a mad thought. Sorry, folks, as much as you'd like Pentax dead, it ain't gonna happen.
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #94
RaduA

Yeah I do the same except I am using the 100D. I'd love a 20D but have this thing about carrying bricks
What about the K-m then? You'll even use the same batteries you have for the K100D ...

Radu

01-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #95
Inactive Account

Whereas I wouldn't want the K20D to be any smaller.

Autofocus is apparently getting better with each new design; presumably the mid-range in the K-m body will be a joy and delight in this respect.
01-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Even though they're not going to go full frame (even though some of us can hope they were just kidding), something in the range of the 5D and the D700 or the A900 would be great from Pentax. The only problem is that most of the features that it would have are already in the K20D, just not as advanced, but not worthy of such a higher price point.
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sflights Quote
Even though they're not going to go full frame (even though some of us can hope they were just kidding), something in the range of the 5D and the D700 or the A900 would be great from Pentax. The only problem is that most of the features that it would have are already in the K20D, just not as advanced, but not worthy of such a higher price point.
I think a lot of working pros who still use a Pentax (shock!) would be plenty happy with a Kxx model with a bigger 100% VF, 5-6 FPS, and faster AF, even if the sensor remains APS-C.

Full-frame wishers would never be satisfied until they get the full-frame sensor they wanted, even if the next Kxx has 15 FPS and 100 AF points.

01-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want NightShot night vision like Sony camcorders (especially that first model). Looking thru clothes has niche written all over it. Won't need much advertising. Just hand one to one of the network news shows. Pentax can ask forgiveness later.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Ends soon. Enter now!
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
What about the K-m then? You'll even use the same batteries you have for the K100D ...
Radu
Sadly they neutered it. I can't select my AF point, no top LCD and a lack of direct buttons.

I just want a DS with a Lion battery, revised AF, 3in screen, the 14mp sensor and direct buttons for WB and ISo and i'll shut up forever
01-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #100
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I think a lot of working pros who still use a Pentax (shock!) would be plenty happy with a Kxx model with a bigger 100% VF, 5-6 FPS, and faster AF, even if the sensor remains APS-C.

Full-frame wishers would never be satisfied until they get the full-frame sensor they wanted, even if the next Kxx has 15 FPS and 100 AF points.
Its true. I think the C, N and S have all caught onto that by making a FF 'budget' model, under their pro lines.

K.
01-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that it would be easier for Pentax to do a high-res, low fps (3-4) FF ala 5DII than a fast AF/high fps APS-C camera ala D300.

Frankly, I think they lack the technical know-how about how to make these uber AF systems because, unlike Canon or Nikon, they just don't have the experience from decades of developing pro AF systems.

Plus it would be more in line with the emphasis Pentax has alway put on IQ before shear performances.
How about a 32MP (same pixel density as K20) weathersealed stabilized FF with 3fps and a 14MP crop mode to APS-C plus some kind of sRaw at 8MP using raw pixel binning for clean high ISO?

Last edited by lol101; 01-05-2009 at 02:07 AM.
01-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoya is a 3rd-party maker

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax is about to launch a new set of DSLRs and you're asking if they'll become a 3rd-party maker?
Yep, just a mad thought. Sorry, folks, as much as you'd like Pentax dead, it ain't gonna happen.
Hoya already sells lenses for other brands through the Tokina badge. Same lenses also sold with SMC Pentax badge.
01-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #103
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HOYA's glass is in ALL SONY Zeiss lenses.
01-05-2009, 05:48 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that it would be easier for Pentax to do a high-res, low fps (3-4) FF ala 5DII than a fast AF/high fps APS-C camera ala D300.

Frankly, I think they lack the technical know-how about how to make these uber AF systems because, unlike Canon or Nikon, they just don't have the experience from decades of developing pro AF systems.

Plus it would be more in line with the emphasis Pentax has alway put on IQ before shear performances.
How about a 32MP (same pixel density as K20) weathersealed stabilized FF with 3fps and a 14MP crop mode to APS-C plus some kind of sRaw at 8MP using raw pixel binning for clean high ISO?
Well, I was hoping those dudes over at Samsung could help out with AF R&D aside from researching sensor tech, though I'm not at all sure who should be experts with AF algorithms. The FPS issue, though, is something Pentax could address. I believe they used to have motor drives that go 4 FPS at least, so they know some about managing shutters and all that with higher FPS counts than they do now. The FPS issue probably rests more on the possibly not-that-fast image processing pipeline Pentax uses (or a smaller buffer) rather than a mechanical limitation.

But I'm not one to shoot much action and sports, anyway, so I'm okay with your idea. Others have need for better performance, though.
01-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

32mp is way too high. How can you gaurantee better high ISO if the pixel density is the same as the K20D.

Although that would get a lot of new users into K mount.