Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #136
TKH
Veteran Member

Someone from a German DSLR forum works in a big electronic shop in Berlin. If I understand him right, there will be a few good things on PMA and a few bad things for Pentax friends.
The good news: The new camera (K30D?) will be a good step in better AF quality and fps. The lenses DA*55 and DA60-250 will be in the stores in march and they will be very nice.

The bad news: Pentax cancels a few lenses from the last roadmap. I think we will talk about the DA15 and the DA30?

Best,
Rainer

01-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
Someone from a German DSLR forum works in a big electronic shop in Berlin. If I understand him right, there will be a few good things on PMA and a few bad things for Pentax friends.
The good news: The new camera (K30D?) will be a good step in better AF quality and fps. The lenses DA*55 and DA60-250 will be in the stores in march and they will be very nice.

The bad news: Pentax cancels a few lenses from the last roadmap. I think we will talk about the DA15 and the DA30?

Best,
Rainer
Sounds reasonable to me...I'd better start saving
01-10-2009, 04:38 AM   #138
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax seems to play less games than the big 2 in particular.

Accordingly have they inferred at all if and when they will be going FF as i am kinda sitting on the fence with selling my canon glass and reinvesting in Pentax's (although i want to).

Cheers S
01-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #139
RaduA

Best,
Rainer
IMO the only reason to cancel the DA15Ltd at this late stage is if it doesn't perform well enough to earn the Limited badge. It seems to me that it is very highly anticipated by many here (and not only) and will both round the Limited range to the ultra-wide zone and offer something unique for Pentax.
DA* 30 is much earlier in development and they may opt to slightly revise optically the FA31Ltd in a new mechanical package with ring motor and weather protection plus the new ABC coatings and save time and money.
But again for the 15mm focal length something APS-C only make a lot of sense IMO and I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if this rumor is true.

Radu

01-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, have heard that, too, the DA30 is canceled.

Not unwise, I think.
There is the very good DA35 Macro and the very good FA31 and the very good FA35 already.
01-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
IMO the only reason to cancel the DA15Ltd at this late stage is if it doesn't perform well enough to earn the Limited badge. It seems to me that it is very highly anticipated by many here (and not only) and will both round the Limited range to the ultra-wide zone and offer something unique for Pentax.
DA* 30 is much earlier in development and they may opt to slightly revise optically the FA31Ltd in a new mechanical package with ring motor and weather protection plus the new ABC coatings and save time and money.
But again for the 15mm focal length something APS-C only make a lot of sense IMO and I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if this rumor is true.

Radu

I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of performance of the lenses. It has been stated that the Pentax lens roadmap was considered a mess without direction so some changes should be expected. The 15mm is very close to the already existing 14mm. The 30mm is in competition with the 31mm, and the two 35mm lenses already in the line-up. No wonder if Pentax changes poriorities. In adition, the Limited lenses still make little sense as there are no matching body: Perhaps small, weatherproffed versions of them would have made more sense in the marketplace?
The other issue is the possibility of FF in the future. Having lots of niche APS-only lenses, that even compete with existing FF lenses, may be seen as an unwise strategic move....
01-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #142
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Best,
Rainer
The roadmap of pentax has only NEW DA super telephoto.
DA15/4 is already announced.
DA30 - maybe this lens dies.

01-10-2009, 05:42 AM   #143
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of performance of the lenses. It has been stated that the Pentax lens roadmap was considered a mess without direction so some changes should be expected. The 15mm is very close to the already existing 14mm. The 30mm is in competition with the 31mm, and the two 35mm lenses already in the line-up. No wonder if Pentax changes poriorities. In adition, the Limited lenses still make little sense as there are no matching body: Perhaps small, weatherproffed versions of them would have made more sense in the marketplace?
The other issue is the possibility of FF in the future. Having lots of niche APS-only lenses, that even compete with existing FF lenses, may be seen as an unwise strategic move....
I don't buy this at all! If Hoya wants to abandon this stupid old Pentax mantra of weather sealing only DA* lenses they should start by puting this feature into new designs not cutting them. Like I said DA* 30 was less needed but DA15 is as different as it can be from the huge/expensive DA14. IMO DA14 needs to be replaced by a DA* ultra-wide zoom especially at its current price which is bigger than the Tokina 11-16 for example. A possible DA*11-16 will cost maybe 750 Euro and the DA14 is 600 Euro.

Radu
01-10-2009, 05:51 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't buy this at all! If Hoya wants to abandon this stupid old Pentax mantra of weather sealing only DA* lenses they should start by puting this feature into new designs not cutting them. Like I said DA* 30 was less needed but DA15 is as different as it can be from the huge/expensive DA14. IMO DA14 needs to be replaced by a DA* ultra-wide zoom especially at its current price which is bigger than the Tokina 11-16 for example. A possible DA*11-16 will cost maybe 750 Euro and the DA14 is 600 Euro.

Radu

But it is perhaps cheaper to put weather sealing into existing designs. If they indeed drop the 15 Limited it might indicate that they won't make a "complete" Limited lens line-up (they didn't for the FA Limiteds either), something that could indicate the end-of-the-line for the Limited series. If Pentax wants to make small, sturdy, weathersealed cameras; then where are the small, sturdy weather sealed lenses? This speculation of course, but something to think about in the light of comments of restructuring the lens line-up to being more in tune with the cameras (as I understand it).

The 15mm may be different from the 14mm but they compete over same customers anyway. So does any wideangle zoom covering these focal lenghts; to some extent at least.
01-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #145
ogl
Banned

K30D will have a bit smaller body dimensions than K20D.
I've heard it.

Maybe DA*11-16/2.8 will be instead of DA15?
01-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've heard it.

Maybe DA*11-16/2.8 will be instead of DA15?
Actually, a DA* 11-16/2.8 would have made more sense instead of the DA14/2.8.
01-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've heard it.
Bad.
This probably means new battery grip.
01-10-2009, 06:30 AM   #148
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Bad.
This probably means new battery grip.
I can't confirm it. It could be only rumor.
But maybe, battery grip will be the same and only dimensions of top side of camera will be changed.
01-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Best,
Rainer
Sounds good and reasonable I guess. Any word on affordable sealed lenses? That, the K30D specs, and my wish to have the K20D sensor trickle down to the KxxxD line are all that I'm hoping for.
01-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #150

Radu
Yeah I understand the 11-16 has full frame circle in the 15-16mm range. I would like to see a DA* version of it first.

Cutting DA15 doesn't make sense since the limiteds are very populat lenses.