Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2023, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Ansel Adams ... Pentax?

The Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V - Ansel Adams trusted tool. - Retro Pixel
This indicates Ansel Adams used this Pentax spot meter...
Did He also use the Pentax MX?
Someone has claimed this in a Youtube post...
Repairing Ansel Adams Pentax MX
Curious?

06-02-2023, 07:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think he had been photographing with small format cameras much
06-02-2023, 07:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
This indicates Ansel Adams used this Pentax spot meter...
Did He also use the Pentax MX?
Someone has claimed this in a Youtube post...
Repairing Ansel Adams Pentax MX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIxSWZ6XrA
Curious?
From what I've read it is a verified fact that Ansel Adams relied on a Pentax Spotmeter V.

If he used a Pentax camera at some point I'm not finding any reference to it, other than the one you linked.
06-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt very much if Adams used an MX. He did use a Leicaflex, set to manual exposure iirc and many people would be surprised to hear a Hasselblad 6x6 cm was used latterly for his work, not just large format field cameras.

06-02-2023, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Concerning the MX rumour: just because one A. Adams engraved his name on the camera? The German Wikipedia lists entries on no less than 43 A. Adams and only one out of them is Ansel. The English wikipedia likely has many more covered, but it is less straightforward to count them. Although I’m sure Ansel missed a great experience if he never shot an MX, the chances that the camera in the video was his are extremely slim.
06-02-2023, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Worth pointing out AA died 8 years after the MX release.
06-02-2023, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

AA using a Hasselblad is a matter of record.

06-02-2023, 12:22 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

The video title is clickbait, and the guy claiming this is Ansel's Adams' camera is just having a laugh. There must be tens of thousands of A Adams in the world and he has no other evidence. Would be worth a fortune at auction if it were. One of the YouTube comments is that the repair company Ace seen on the label around 3:20 was in New Orleans (I don't know USA phone number allocations but perhaps someone else can confirm that), which is a long way from AA's San Francisco base. Anyway, I understood that AA used an Olympus for 35mm, because in his memoirs (or some other writing) he complained that his OM4 instruction manual did not explain spot metering adequately.

He may well have used a Pentax Spotmeter V but I believe he later used the digital spotmeter. If he did not then I must have sold mine under false pretences because I advertised it as "As used by Ansel Adams!"

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 06-02-2023 at 12:42 PM.
06-02-2023, 06:15 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm sure AA didn't use the Spotmeter V early in his carrier because the model V wasn't available until around 1975 or so but there were earlier models of the one-degree spotmeter he could use. And it shouldn't be a surprise he used it. It is a popular one-degree spotmeter among sheet film photographers who employ the Zone System.

In AA's book, The Negative, he gives test results both for sheet and 120 roll film so he clearly he shot medium format too.
06-03-2023, 03:01 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Curious

The dates of the MX do work with His life...
Pentax MX - Wikipedia
The fact that no-one here has any hard evidence certainly makes Me sceptical.
Thanks.
06-03-2023, 04:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would not surprise me if AA used a Pentax SLR as a walk around camera. Maybe even for scouting a location and making a few proof shots. Back then Pentax was one of the big SLR brands and not an afterthought.
09-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ansel Adams Yosemite Photos, Portraitures & Teaching
This indicates Ansel did use 35mm... 4minutes 40seconds an Ansel contact sheet from 1930's.
09-22-2023, 10:41 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Who the heck cares?

Ooh, Hemingway used an Underwood typewriter, and I use one of those too so we must be kindred spirits.

Oh, wow, Picasso painted in oils on canvas! And I paint in oils on canvas too!!!

Seriously, who the heck cares? Do you really need the validation of thinking that Saint Ansel might have owned a piece of equipment with the same brand name that you use?
09-22-2023, 12:29 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOS7 Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fpu4bjFKlU
Ansel Adams Yosemite Photos, Portraitures & Teaching
This indicates Ansel did use 35mm... 4minutes 40seconds an Ansel contact sheet from 1930's.
The well-known portrait of a mischievous Georgia O'Keefe with Orville Cox which thumbnails that video was made in 1937 by Adams using a Zeiss Contax: he'd got the camera the previous year:

This photo of Adams with the Contax was made by his good friend, Edward Weston.

However, I'm with Dave: who cares what gear one or another photographer used? (although I really don't care what gear William Eggleston used – I can imagine manufacturers paying him to not use their cameras...)
09-22-2023, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
AA using a Hasselblad is a matter of record.
The woman in the background certainly does not look like she approves! Must be a large format view camera purist.