large LCD with high definition (3' or larger) 9645.28%
higher fps ( more than 4 or 5) 12960.85%
new functions: DV, GPS, etc. 7233.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
- Bigger and better VF (even if I'm ok the the present one, that would be a reason for me to buy a new camera)
- Better AF low light performance (but same as above)
- Quitter mirror mecanism / shutter.

And maybe higher FPS.

I still think that the K20D is a very good camera, those are just the features that would make me upgrade.

01-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Small request:
I'd like the option for the viewfinder to display a rectangular grid (ala Nikon).

Big request:
Secondly I want a EOS 1Ds MkIII/5D killer of a camera.
I've been eating humble pie to my brother-in-law's EOS 1Ds Mk III and EOS 1D Mk II set-up for too long already.
Yeah I want the chance to develop those big arm muscles that he has from carrying those two hefty cameras.
01-06-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I suspect a larger LCD and slightly more fps.

However I most expect the new Pentax DSLR will disappoint most people more than anything.

EDIT: Dammit; Buddha said it before I did.
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

where's the faster, much much much faster AF option?

01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
PENTAX AF seems FAST with SDM and I played around with Nikon and Canon cameras a little bit. Is it perchance the Terminator sound that makes you guys whine about AF? For example, when my 55-300 hunts, it makes SURE I notice.
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

people are on crack

"i want an AF system so fast that it will focus faster than i can think of what i want to focus on"

seriously people, give it a rest.
01-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm wanting to upgrade my *istDS to the K20D soon, so if a new camera is on the horizon I'd be interested in something that would be in the price range of about $800 with specs comparable to the K20D.
-Nothing larger than 14 MP
-no "bling" cosmetics, basic black body with NO silver pin stripping (like on the K2000 body)
-ability to use non-rechargeable lithium CRV3's or AA's batteries in a pinch

I'm easy to please coming from the *istDS up, I'll be getting loads of new features anyway. I just want some hard buttons and an extra dial, plus shake reduction, bigger resolution and LCD without going over budget. If I had the spare change now, I'd do it today and order up a K20D.

01-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Truth be told, the only thing I'd necessarily like to see changed on my K20d is a hi rez 3" screen so I can better check focus. The current AF doesn't really bother me (and I often shoot "blind"), and I never use burst. Usable 3200 and marginal 6400 would be nice, and I'd like the body about 1-2cm taller. Slightly better battery life would be a plus.

If we're going for a more radical approach, a non-slr body with APS-C sensor and K mount, 3" articulated screen, EVF with a hotshoe where you can mount viewfinders, and usable 6400. And a lightweight metal body.
01-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
If we're going for a more radical approach, a non-slr body with APS-C sensor and K mount, 3" articulated screen, EVF with a hotshoe where you can mount viewfinders, and usable 6400. And a lightweight metal body.
OR.....

downsized 645-like body, but in aps-c format. i would really love that.

(ok, back to dreaming mode )
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Sorry, I forgot this very important option
Especially under low light conditions.
01-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jianshi Quote
Sorry, I forgot this very important option
Especially under low light conditions.
The AF is OK. I have the Canon HF100 camcorder and its AF is not miraculous, but it is quiet.

"Under low light conditions," I just put on a AF540FGZ flash--it has a focus assist beam.

I'll buy a 70-300 SDM, when it comes out: when shooting little animals like chipmunks, they run away from the Terminator a.k.a. 55-300...nah, the AF beeping scared them away; I should've turned that darned thing off long time ago.

Actually, I wanted to buy a Sigma 600mm mirror lens, until someone swiped a good used copy from under me at a local store, before I made up my mind.
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #27

you forgot to introduce the option: better AF in low light

Anyway, i would like an slr with size and weight of MZ5N, a better AF, low iso, eventually FF in option
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Expect? Not so much. Want? That.

No LCD. No built in flash.

Settings project into the viewfinder; viewfinder has 100% coverage and rock-up magnifier (1.5x) and cover. (The path for the mangnifier has to be along a curve out the back of the camera so the inside of the magnifier isn't exposed to dust; the cover is outside of, and generally on, the magnifier. It might need to be rock-up rather than down, depending on how thick it is and how face clearance is to be arranged.)

Shipped with the best split-prism focus screen Pentax can mass-produce.

Next step in anti-dust; pushing the lens release irises shut the lens opening, like aperture blades only no central pinhole. Putting a lens in opens the iris again; can be switched off for cleaning, focus screen changes, lenses with large rear projection, etc. Iris blades need to withdraw into some sort of static precipitator or other user-cleanable, dust-sticky housing.

Single-button press, single mirror lift (ideally, single shutter activation) bracket shots.

Plug in, long (~2m) wire electronic viewfinder with mode dials and shutter button. Preferably also x2->x32 electronic center zoom for focus adjustments.

A button (or something; it has to be usable with the camera to your eye) that will have the focus points indicate which of them can resolve and which of them can't.

Much better tracking autofocus; I want something that works on a swaying bird feeder at a minimum; would be delighted at something that can handle running children or flying birds.

It'd be oddly pleasant to have a Pentax neck strap that was usable for any length of time. The shipped strap with the K20D was certainly suboptimal.

Near-IR focus mode and accessory IR lamp that goes on the hot shoe. Flotation grip. Radio remote shutter trigger. Better provision for having the lighting setup communicate with the camera. (lens-surround LED ring light battery grip!) Non-mechanical shutter of some kind. Scandium frame or body. (As not-actually-pointless hard-to-trump marketing coolness goes, that would be something.)
01-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by freeload Quote
My whislist.
Same resolution (K20D) - better dynamic range and/or ISO
21 fps burst mode -> 25 fps FullHD video with sound input from the video out jack.
Quiet mirror
Faster autofocus, and correct regardless of lighttemperature.
Built in focus assist lamp.
Bigger, brighter viewfinder.

Batterygrip with wifi link, or other link to shoot thetered without a wire.
Phew! Sounds like a $6000 body.

But more fps would be my wish.
01-07-2009, 03:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I want video option.