View Poll Results: what do you expect form the new pentax DSLR
Full frame (better ISO, low noise...) 9544.81%
large LCD with high definition (3' or larger) 9645.28%
higher fps ( more than 4 or 5) 12960.85%
new functions: DV, GPS, etc. 7233.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2009, 02:18 AM   #61

I'd love to see better high ISO (not necessarily Full Frame) and a faster AF, or an additional AF mode without double checking. And please make P-TTL usable with manual lenses.

01-20-2009, 02:39 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote

In Codiac's 'leaked' info on the DA*60-250 he mentioned it seemed to be full frame when viewed with a film body. It is held back.

DA*55 also held back.

No new word on the DA*30, yet.
Well I was at "Cirque Photo" in Paris, last week-end. I discussed with the shop tenant, and they were telling that the DA 60-250 was still on time for end of February. (more or less as Photokina announcement.) They were also taking pre-orders.

"Cirque Photo" is one of the biggest camera reseller in France (out of consumer electronics chains). Given the fact that Pentax owns in France 11% of DSLR market (double than worldwide) I think this info is quite reliable. Pentax/Hoya wouldn't want to screw up their "better than elsewhere" position by sending the wrong message to shop keepers and consumers.

What is possible is that :
- 60-250 receive a "FF ready" acronym to say that Pentax will move to FF somewhere in the future.
- The new K30D / K300D lineup will be presented and maybe available at the same time the 60-250 is available.

My 50cent guess is that Pentax/Hoya are already working at a FF DSLR, but they need to work on with Tokina on a full lens lineup adapted to FF (24-70, 80-200 and maybe an updated lineup of the FA ltd) They may be also waiting for the sensors wholesale market to lower enough to make a coup a la K10D (so below 2000€/$)

But I think Hoya and Pentax made pretty clear that no FF was to be expected for 2009 and I believe them. (I have elsewhere to put my money anyway)
01-20-2009, 02:55 AM   #63
Veteran Member

If they want to make smaller even the KxxD, I guess we'll see same LCD size, but with bigger resolution. If they keep the current form factor, I think they will ramp it up to 3".

I don't think they'll advance much AF and fps, it will be like in K-m, AF will be faster because they have "cured" the traditional Pentax haunting. FPS will be 3,5 or maybe 4, not more.

They will developed the live view features, with contrast detect AF, faster burst mode up to 50fps but scalable, it would be possible to slower it and enlarge the size of the pictures down to, so to say, 10fps at 8MP. Also better magnification within live-view.

Video and GPS yes. I hope also in more user customizable position on mode dial. I also hope for a better "catch in focus" mode, without the need for a cable release and usable with any AF lens. Also I hope for a true mirror lock up, without the need to resort to live-view.

In a few words, I think we'll see a lot of new features that could be kept in a future EVIL camera, while just marginal improvement with anything "old school" like real AF and fps.
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RE: split prism; stop dreaming

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Stop dreaming... any "little plus" (very relative I know) which messes up intended metering behaviour will never be an official accessory. That'd be very nice. But really... no
I can understand that it can influence metering. However, 20 or 30 years ago (pre autofocus) it was there and I can't remember it being an issue then.

01-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #65
Veteran Member

My thoughts on what it will take for me to make an immediate upgrade purchase!

I currently own the K20D but my next upgrade will be a Canon model.

That is, unless the next Pentax fixes the following problems:

1) Make Dark Frame Subtraction optional (I want to see this fixed on the K20D!).

2) Allow quick switching from RAW only to JPG only using the RAW button (nice to see available on the K20D).

3) Much lower noise at low light, long exposures (at least nearly as good as the three year old Canon 40D).

4) A frigg'n body grip (add-on) to handle the ubiquitous NiMH AA battery! (nice to see this for the current K20D).

And for Pentax to convince me to upgrade to the K30D, I need to see the following on the next model:

1) Usable higher ISOs such as 3200 and 6400 (at least nearly as high as the Canon 50D).

2) Built in GPS or an immediately available option.

3) Faster shutter speed. My ten year old MZ-S could do up to 1/6000 sec. The aforementioned Canon models have higher shutter speeds as well.

4) At least 16MP (to keep ahead of the Jones's).

5) Improved auto focus in low light (right now it sucks.... again Canon does this much, much better).

Nice to have (but not a deal breaker):

1) Capture HD video with sound.

2) Full frame.... not unless it could be done for under $1500.00 SRP. We are only talking about the successor to the K20D.

3) A built-in slide out diffuser for the pop-up flash. I don't believe any other camera has such a useful feature. That would save me from wrapping toilet paper around the flash.

4) Option to algorithmically double up sensor pixels to enhance light sensitivity.

Bottom line, everything else on the K20D is near perfect. Don't take anything away in terms of looks, placement, and features.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 01-21-2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: changes for better readability.
01-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #66
Veteran Member

While I don't really need more MP, if they increase the MP PLEASE give us a small RAW option. I don't need 14MP all the time but I like the flexibility it offers. Most of the time I shoot 6MP JPEGs
01-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I currently own the K20D but my next upgrade will be a Canon model.

That is, unless the next Pentax fixes the following problems:
[...]
2) Allow quick switching from RAW only to JPG only using the RAW button (nice to see available on the K20D).
[...]
4) A frigg'n body grip (add-on) to handle the ubiquitous NiMH AA battery! (nice to see this for the current K20D).
And which Canon DSLR does that?

01-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I can understand that it can influence metering. However, 20 or 30 years ago (pre autofocus) it was there and I can't remember it being an issue then.
Indeed, it wasn't a problem (and still shouldn't be now) using CW metering. Most of the time Multizone should be consistent (even if it may overexpose/underexpose slightly) but spot metering will be completely unsuable. Hence, it breaks standard metering capabilities of the camera.

I'd like them to find a solution however, I'd the the first to use one.
01-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
And which Canon DSLR does that?
None.

The only thing you can do is to use the SET button (center of the back wheel) to choose the file quality (press the SET button and spin front wheel to select between RAW/JPEG/RAW+ & different sizes/compression for jpegs): it's adequate but not as convenient as a dedicated button programmed to do a direct switch between jpegs and raw.
01-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
None.
Well, therefore I find very strange that ultimative "I'll switch to Canon if Pentax doesn't do that!" while Canon doesn't have those "must" features also...
01-21-2009, 07:00 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, therefore I find very strange that ultimative "I'll switch to Canon if Pentax doesn't do that!" while Canon doesn't have those "must" features also...
I forgot to add on the second point (optional grip for AA batteries) that almost all Canon DSLRs have that option: that breaks it even...
01-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Indeed, it wasn't a problem (and still shouldn't be now) using CW metering. Most of the time Multizone should be consistent (even if it may overexpose/underexpose slightly) but spot metering will be completely unsuable. Hence, it breaks standard metering capabilities of the camera.

I'd like them to find a solution however, I'd the the first to use one.
The solution was Found by Mamiya in 1968 by placing spot metering sensor slightly off center (As seen on Mamiya DTL cameras over 40 years ago)
In fact we don't care where spot metering zone is, we usually recompose frame after metering with spot meeter.
Center weighted or matrix metering is not affected by split prism screens, at least with Katz eye screens.

Last edited by awo425; 01-21-2009 at 08:49 AM.
01-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
3) Much lower noise at low light, long exposures (at least nearly as good as the three year old Canon 40D).
The 40D was announced in july 2007, and became available during the following autumn. It's not even close to three years old.

I have not seen a comparison of low-light long exposures anywhere. Do you have examples comparing the two cameras ?

For normal low-light photography, I'd say the K20D has the better IQ, at least based on this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page29.asp

Last edited by RBellavance; 01-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
01-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
For normal low-light photography, I'd say the K20D has the better IQ, at least based on this: Canon EOS 50D Review: 29. Compared to (Higher ISO): Digital Photography Review
According to the DXOmark, the 50D should be better in low-light, as is the D90. But these are newer models. The K20D is better than the 2007 40D.

They can keep the 14.6MP sensor if they want but they should improve the low-iso shadow noise. My K10D was more capable to "lift" shadows (well actually "would have been" since the K10D Achille heel was the VPN).
01-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
MLU is another key feature for me.
MLU is already a feature in K10D and K20D.

Rui