higher fps ( more than 4 or 5) 12960.85%
new functions: DV, GPS, etc. 7233.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
MLU is already a feature in K10D and K20D.

Rui

Isn't that only available for the 2 second timer? Would be nice to have dedicated MLU.

01-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
The solution was Found by Mamiya in 1968 by placing spot metering sensor slightly off center (As seen on Mamiya DTL cameras over 40 years ago)
Weird but if clearly indicqted in the viewfinder, why not.

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
In fact we don't care where spot metering zone is, we usually recompose frame after metering with spot meeter.
Center weighted or matrix metering is not affected by split prism screens, at least with Katz eye screens.
It is affected but most of the time, it hasn't big influence. "Most of the time" IMO just doesn't make it, on a client support point of view. Most of us here wouldn't care but we are'nt the only guys buying pentax, are we ?
01-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Isn't that only available for the 2 second timer? Would be nice to have dedicated MLU.
indeed, only with 2 sec. timer.
01-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
indeed, only with 2 sec. timer.
Partially correct. 2 sec timer and/or remote/wireless. Anyway what situation requires you to have MLU permanently activated other than those mentioned?
Rui

01-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Partially correct. 2 sec timer and/or remote/wireless. Anyway what situation requires you to have MLU permanently activated other than those mentioned?
Rui
Imagine trying to catch a fishing heron in the presise moment the head hits the water with the 2 sec feature

That's one example of a situation where real MLU is needed. Real MLU means being able to lock up the mirror first, and then wait for the decisive moment.
01-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Imagine trying to catch a fishing heron in the presise moment the head hits the water with the 2 sec feature

That's one example of a situation where real MLU is needed. Real MLU means being able to lock up the mirror first, and then wait for the decisive moment.
Seriously, how many shooters use MLU to shoot? Actually very few, especially those nature/wildlife photographers that I have met.

In my book, it makes sense to make the most of the camera's existing features to the fullest. In your example above, one could just as well use the K20D's Live View or trigger the camera remotely to capture the decisive moment.
01-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
Try to guess what the decisive moment is when you don't see anything in viewfinder.
01-22-2009, 01:54 AM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Seriously, how many shooters use MLU to shoot? Actually very few, especially those nature/wildlife photographers that I have met.

In my book, it makes sense to make the most of the camera's existing features to the fullest. In your example above, one could just as well use the K20D's Live View or trigger the camera remotely to capture the decisive moment.
Probably not because of lag, time to switch the sensor from video mode th photo mode and the bird is gone...

Real MLU is not (IMO) a very big deal but it would be very welcome from Pentax to implement that feature at least in K20/K30 and up.

01-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Try to guess what the decisive moment is when you don't see anything in viewfinder.
I was waiting for that comment

No need to see in the view finder. You just sits next to the camera, waiting. That's what I do now, with cable release in one hand, and a cup of coffee in the other. I have a very short concentration span sitting with my eye glued to the view finder. Sitting next to the camera I can stay focused for a much longer time.

The reason I want MLU is because the camera produses to much camera shake. MLU would probably allow me to push the shutter speed a few steps down, when the light becomes interesting.

But alas, to design MLU, they need to redesign the shutter mechanism. The good news is that redesigning the shutter would allow them to get into the game of higher frame rates.

While we are at it: With a redesignet shutter, they could probably have made a better Live View solution. Now the mirror flips up when activating LV. When you pushes the release, the mirror has to flip down, before it can make the exposure. This makes a lot of noise, and it slows the whole process down.

I remember the first time I tried the LV. I pushed the release, and couldn't beleave my own ears. Slap, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, slap, slap, slap All the sounds the camera made sounded absurd to me. Not a elegant solution.
IMO they need to redesign this.When that's done, all they need to do is to make a minor firmware adjustment to make MLU.

Last edited by Fototim; 01-22-2009 at 06:26 AM.
01-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #85

Unfortunately there are not many enthusiasts cameras that has MLU. I think that's the reason so few of your friends uses it.

But with weather sealing and SR, I see Pentax as the camera for nature shooters. And I believe many nature shooters who uses tripod and photographes in low light would appreciate it, if we had it. But of course, I could be wrong about that.

QuoteQuote:
I totally agree withe the first sentense.

But alas
LV does not suit my needs. It makes to much camera shake, because the mirror slaps two times before exposure.
Triggering the camera remotely reduces camera shake introduced by the user, yes. That's a good thing. I am a frequent user of cable release. It helpes. But alas, it does not prevent vibrations introduced by the mirror.

So MLU is at my wish list.
01-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #86
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that we will see K20D super, (maybe it will be called K30D).
The same sensor with 3.5 fps in 14.6 MP mode and 6.5 fps in 6 MP mode.
maybe new AF. better LV. maybe 3". no video.
It's all.

What do you think???
01-22-2009, 07:35 AM   #87
Veteran Member

My expectations are not very different from ogl :

K30D
- same 14.6 Mpx sensor as K20D (maybe better performance because of improved making process)
- higher fps : 5fps
- higher iso : 12 800 (kind of same improvement as compared with K-m)
- video mode : 25 fps with a a plug for microphone.
- maybe better AF

K300D
- 14.6 Mpx
- 2-3 fps
- same iso as K20D, up to 6400
- no video

K-m to be replaced end of 2009 / begining of 2010

regards,
Guillaume
01-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #88
Site Supporter

Full MLU functionality has lots of uses. especially for landscape shooters I think.
I missed it on the K10D... being able to shoot a static frame with a dynamic element in the exact right moment can be real difficult with the 2 second timer, or at least reuqires some guesswork and a few attempts.

So yes a 2 sec delay works, but the MLU functionality definitely is something that makes life easier.
01-23-2009, 12:53 AM   #89
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rumor - Sony has new high-speed CMOS APS-C sensor 15.2 MP. 6.5 fps. ISO 200-12800.
And new A800 will change A700.

maybe - K30D will be with 15.2 Sony. K300D with 14.6 Samsung???

Last edited by ogl; 01-23-2009 at 01:55 AM.
01-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I`m sorry where is my "Improved AF system" option?

1) FF
2) quality ISO 3200
3) AF improvements
4) Video (yes, i want to mount my cosina 55 \ 1.2 and do those cinematic focus move effects )

Not a good economic situation right now otherwise i`d probably start saving already.

Oh, and did i mention a fast prime between 100 and 200?