higher fps ( more than 4 or 5) 12960.85%
new functions: DV, GPS, etc. 7233.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2009, 03:10 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The rumor - Sony has new high-speed CMOS APS-C sensor 15.2 MP. 6.5 fps. ISO 200-12800.
And new A800 will change A700.

maybe - K30D will be with 15.2 Sony. K300D with 14.6 Samsung???
If I remember well, Pentax/Samsung spent 4 years doing R&D to get to this sensor out, I really think that the only viable choice they have now is to use it in their 2009 offering to get some money back on it.

Plus, AFAIK, it's still at the top of what's available today (including D90 IMO) and delivers excellent IQ so... tweak it a little (noise and DR) or a bit more (4 channels to allow a faster fps) but don't go back to Sony, at least not for the K30 (or better yet: use a 4 channels version for the K30 and put K20D's one in the K300).

Remember that whatever Sony has up his sleeve, it will first be for Sony, then for Nikon, and then, eventually (a year or so after Sony and Nikon cameras have hit the market) for Pentax: an excellent recipe to always be the last .

Pentax: keep working with Samsung for sensors, it's the best decision you've made in the last 10 years!

01-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #92
Inactive Account

I would really love a function like virtual horizon indicator in Nikon D700. That works and makes landscape shooting much more convenient than trying to mess with some tiny leveling tool (last time the damn level tool was covered in ice and frozen stuck). Leveling a horizon later in PP results in loss of detail. Apart from that resolution 20MP+ which would allow resizing to 2560x1600 resolution wallpapers (10mp does not always cut it) with near 2x scaling factor in both horizontal and vertical resolution.

-Quality high ISO would be nicey
-Pentax made rifle buttstock holder camera mount with a real trigger
01-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #93
Pentaxian

I'll wait for the PMA to see what Pentax has up its sleeve. If there's no FF from Pentax then I'll go the Canon 5D route.

(Although I won't sell my K20D, F, F* and Limited lenses).
01-23-2009, 03:32 AM   #94
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
15.2 MP and 6.5 fps is really good.

01-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #95
wll
Veteran Member

What I'd Like To See, In The K30D

Much lower noise in low light (concert shooting) and long exposures (night shooting).

High quality, lower noise with higher iso values, such as 3200 and 6400

Higher sync rate

Improved auto focus in low light

The K20D Samsung sensor is very good, but the next generation will be an improvement I'm sure ...... for me, no need to increase MP (12-14 is fine, Image quality and low noise are Omnipotent)

And last but not least, a rotate-able back with high quality live view ....... for me that would be just what the doctor ordered for studio stuff and the low angle shooting that I do !!!

I was going to purchase the K20D last year, but held off, I have a K10D, and although it is a fine camera, It is poor for high iso work ... so I decided to skip a generation, so now I'm waiting to see what Pentax has up it's sleeve in the next few months.

wll
01-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
I would really love a function like virtual horizon indicator in Nikon D700. That works and makes landscape shooting much more convenient than trying to mess with some tiny leveling tool (last time the damn level tool was covered in ice and frozen stuck). Leveling a horizon later in PP results in loss of detail.
I would buy a new body just for this, and a 100% coverage viewfinder.
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #97
m8o
Veteran Member

Better predictive AF ; or should I say any predictive AF at all. It wasn't in the poll so i didn't vote.

What would be insanely kewl is -- when using modern AF lenses -- if the camera did a calculation based on focal length, aperture and its known AF distance provided back from the lens, and displays the DOF range in the viewfinder. [!!!]
01-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
While I don't really need more MP, if they increase the MP PLEASE give us a small RAW option. I don't need 14MP all the time but I like the flexibility it offers. Most of the time I shoot 6MP JPEGs
This kind of defeats the purpose of RAW (since RAW means *exactly* what the sensor sees).

I think it would be nice if Pentax used a better JPG algorithm with a lossless high quality compression setting. I was told that even the highest quality setting is currently slightly lossy (can someone confirm this?).

01-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
If I remember well, Pentax/Samsung spent 4 years doing R&D to get to this sensor out, I really think that the only viable choice they have now is to use it in their 2009 offering to get some money back on it.

Plus, AFAIK, it's still at the top of what's available today (including D90 IMO) and delivers excellent IQ so... tweak it a little (noise and DR) or a bit more (4 channels to allow a faster fps) but don't go back to Sony, at least not for the K30 (or better yet: use a 4 channels version for the K30 and put K20D's one in the K300).

Remember that whatever Sony has up his sleeve, it will first be for Sony, then for Nikon, and then, eventually (a year or so after Sony and Nikon cameras have hit the market) for Pentax: an excellent recipe to always be the last .

Pentax: keep working with Samsung for sensors, it's the best decision you've made in the last 10 years!
Really? The K20D sensor doesn't seem nearly as good as the Canon D50 (or even the D40 with less pixels). I really don't understand why some people keep saying that the Pentax K20D sensor is so great and advanced. Please show me where this is fact rather than popular Pentax opinion. One can't even expose the sensor for more than 8 seconds without being forced into waiting for a DFS to complete.

I'm not terribly impressed with the K20D sensor?

I know this will never happen but the best thing Pentax could do is adopt the Canon D50 sensor and processor for the eventual Pentax K30D camera.
01-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
...Please show me where this is fact rather than popular Pentax opinion. ...
I have no investment in this conversation, but let's see your tech as well.
01-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
And which Canon DSLR does that?
The Canon 50D has a battery grip that can use AA batteries (re: BG-E2N).

Additionally, the 50D does have a programmable button which can be programmed to switch between RAW, RAW+JPG, and JPG only.
01-25-2009, 05:53 AM   #102
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
(since RAW means *exactly* what the sensor sees).
No, not really. I would guess there is a fair bit of processing going on before the raw-file is created. For instance, multiple exposure and dark frame subtraction. And some noise reduction too I bet.
01-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

Bring back the apature ring on the lenses....and an iso dial on the body. Call me an old dog but menus are too slow.....
01-25-2009, 02:07 PM   #104
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
....and an iso dial on the body. Call me an old dog but menus are too slow.....
You try pressing the OK button while turning the front dial? "undocumented feature" that came with the firmware rev1.3 (documented in the release notes I believe) on the K10D but I would have thought it would have been documented in the K20D's manual by now. In any case a menu for ISO is still faster than the old dog way of changing a roll of film.
01-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #105
Pentaxian

On Av/Tv you can set one of the e-dials to change ISO. Even faster